Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Were you smacked as a child?

HatTrick, 6 January, 2012 at 16:06

Posted on Off Topic Posts 78

I've just been discussing this with my boss. I was smacked, my mum used to threaten us with the wooden spoon ? which she did use a few times! I can't ever imagine her doing this now and it's strange to think of it. I was never 'beaten' but did get the odd smack which whilst it didn't do me any harm...

I've just been discussing this with my boss. I was smacked, my mum used to threaten us with the wooden spoon ? which she did use a few times! I can't ever imagine her doing this now and it's strange to think of it.

I was never 'beaten' but did get the odd smack which whilst it didn't do me any harm I wouldn't say it did me any good. A far more effective method of punishment for me was if I knew that I had disappointed my parents, I used to feel awful.

78 replies

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Haaaaaa I had to google to see what a fish slice was. I thought it was a knife at first! ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Oh and Abi if you think you had it bad with the fish slice... When H was a teenager his mum punched him straight in the face and chipped his tooth! He still has a chipped front tooth to this day!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't smacked really as a rule, but there was this one time when was at primary school and i through at strop about something and I took a horse whip to my sister and when my mum caught me i wrapped it around my mums ankles.......... as a punishment i got a whip round my bum! Didnt really hurt *as i told my mum at the time* BUT my mum then had to explain to my teacher the next day after PE why i had whip marks on my bum!

EDIT: have read this back and it makes it sound like i was really naughty and beaten - I wasn't!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Off topic, but my mum stabbed me in my arm when I was 5 or 6! She didn't do it in a "I'll teach you, you little br@t" sort of way though. I used to hold my breath when I hurt myself, she came running out still carrying a knife. Thats what she says anyway, never knew if it was the truth with her temper ?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I got a smack on the bum or back of legs from time to time when I was a PITA.

I have smacked my two children on the bum or hand a couple of times but it's something I really try to avoid. I can hardly punish my son for hitting his sister and teach him that it's wrong by hitting him can I?

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content

No I wasn't.

My parents took away privileges, and if I repeated bad behaviour, the longer I would lose my privileges. I soon learnt my lesson.

The one time I got in serious trouble (getting drunk at a school disco, and being threatened with expulsion, as it was a rather strict private school), I'll never forget the look on my dad's face as he told me how disappointed he was in me, and it was several days before he really spoke to me. I didn't need to be hit, the look on his face told me all I needed to know, and I never wanted to disappoint my dad again.

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content

I completely agree with you.

My older sister doesn't discipline her children, and my niece (C) and nephew (J) [who are twins] are horrible children as a result, and I hate having to say that about my own flesh and blood but they are. I love them, because they're my niece and nephew, but I don't like them very much.

When they come around our house, C and J will go into our kitchen and help themselves to food and drink, because that's what they're allowed to do at home. They also terrorise our cat. My sister says nothing. It has gotten to the stage that H2B doesn't want them round here any more.

C and J are 9 and I dread to think what they'll be like when they hit their teens.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics