Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2016

We've picked our readings!

Sondy, 30 of August of 2015 at 10:41 Posted on Planning 0 3

We gave notice last week and have had our ceremony booklets come through from our registry office. We've picked the following readings (though still need to pick who'll be reading them):

1. All I ever really needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten (there are a few versions of this but this is our favourite)

All of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in Kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the university mountain, but there in the sandpit at nursery.
These are the things I learned…

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don’t hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
Say sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Give them to someone who feels sad.
Live a balanced life.
Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day.
Take a nap every afternoon.
Be aware of wonder.
Remember the little seed in the plastic cup? The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
Everything you need to know is in there somewhere.
And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

2. Union

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –
This is my husband. This is my wife.

I love both readings because they say a lot about us (our primary school was a bit old fashioned and called nursery Kindergarten. That's where we first met, aged 4. I love the second reading just because it's lovely without being too cheesy (I think).

I'm also considering this as a third reading because I desperately want my beloved pet guinea pigs to be honoured at the wedding (I originally wanted them as ring bearers but don't think it will be possible):

3. The Amiable Guinea Pig (Beatrix Potter)

There once was an amiable guinea pig,
who brushed back his hair like a periwig,
he wore a sweet tie, as blue as the sky
and his whiskers and buttons were very big.

3 replies

Latest activity by Sondy, 2 of September of 2015 at 09:00
  • R
    Beginner August 2016
    RhonaH ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I'm a bit of a lurker on this website but just wanted to say that I love the readings - particularly the 'Union' one - it says so much without being mushy! x

• B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content

I just read "union" out to my OH through snuffles and tears and giggles - thank you for sharing it, I think this may be included in our readings now! X x x

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    BrideMMD ·
    • Hide content

Love your choices, esp Union. You'll have to make sure you get some pix with your guinea pigs before you leave the house - if you can!

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    Sondy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everybody Smiley smile I love the union too - I think we might ask my sister in law to be to read it. It was included in the ceremony pack from our local registry office - Warwickshire have been amazing with great suggestions. We've just picked our vows too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics