Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

What alcoholic drinks go with an afternoon tea?

pandorasbox, 16 May, 2012 at 23:15 Posted on Planning 0 42

Now that we have our caterer crisis sorted and have a more pricey replacement, we have to go with a slightly cheaper (yet much more fun) option than our original plan of a sit down 3 course dinner with white wines. OH thinks white wine is fine, I suggested jugs of alcoholic fruit punch or cocktails could be out on the tables, but he pointed out the men may not fancy that. But then again I don't know many blokes who go for wine anyway, and I think they would just buy themselves a beer at the bar before the meal. We will still provide some fizz for toasts prior to the meal.

What alcoholic drinks would go nicely with the following, or shall we leave it at wine?

Afternoon Tea

A Selection of Freshly made Sandwiches - Choose 5 of the following:

Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese, Egg Mayonnaise and Mustardcress, Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion Stuffing, Tuna Mayonnaise, Fresh Salmon with Dill Mayonnaise, Cheese and Onion, Honey Roast Ham with Mustard, Wensleydale, Chutney and Watercress, Roast Beef with Horseradish, Avocado, Pesto and Chicken on Ciabatta

Quiche Lorraine, Cheese and Onion Tarts, Potato Cakes or Spinach, Feta Cheese and Sundried Tomato Filo Tarts

A Selection of Hot Crumpets and Teacakes

Homemade Plain and Fruit Scones with Strawberry Preserve and Clotted Cream

4 of the following: Chocolate Eclairs, Raspberry Meringues, Strawberry Shortcake, Vanilla Slices, Lemon Drizzle Cake, Coffee and Walnut Cake, Chocolate Cake, Swiss Rolls

Choose 2 of the following: Shortbread, Caramel Shortbread, Flapjacks, Melting Moments, Tiffin

Tea, Earl Grey Tea and Coffee

42 replies

Latest activity by BridalButterfly2012, 18 May, 2012 at 18:06
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I would say Pimms? Or kir royals?

Also - sounds bloody lovely. But I was sold at caramel shortbread.

• flowersbychitra
    flowersbychitra ·
    • Hide content

Champagne type cocktails..bellinis

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

Pimms? Sangria? The second not very traditional to afternoon-tea, but something fruity that doesn't have to be blow-your-head-off strong xx

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

I was also going to say Pimms or Bellinis. But the fruit punch is a good idea too!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Pimms? G&T?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Pimms, prosecco/cava/champagne, alcoholic punch/fruity cocktail

although i think wine would be fine also!! the food sounds YUMMY!! x

• W
    Beginner June 2012
    wifey2b ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest pimms too. love the menu, it's exactly the sort of thing I want

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Gah I blimmin hate Pimms and OH loves it so won't tell him most of hitched are voting for it too! I like the bellinis idea, could maybe try to get lots of 'light' different flavours like strawberry and peach. We are having prosecco for our toast fizz mmmmm. Could therefore have a jug of Pimms and a carafe of some kind for bellinis. Or do they only get served in individual glasses? Hmm. Ponder.

I am so happy we ditched our other caterer and found this lady who can do the afternoon tea menu. It looks so much more summery and interesting than our original plans. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

It will be followed up in the evening by freshly carved hot pork baps and beef baps (OHs special request for some pig since his beloved gammon is no longer an option.)

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Bellini's are usually served in individual glasses....why don't you have summer cocktails in jugs to share with the food and then a bellini for everyone to toast? don't have pimm's if you don't like it!! x

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

What about a long island iced tea?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Actually, not sure alcohol would be necessary with afternoon tea, especially if you have fizz for the toast. My H would be at the bar buying beer, but I would be OK with tea.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, I think Pimms would be lovely.

menu sounds gorgeous!

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    MRSPULLINTOBE ·
    • Hide content

Menu sounds lovely, i too would go with pimms, how about making up your own summer cocktail

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Pimms would be perfect, and mmmm crumpets!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

That menu sounds beautiful! I'd go for Pimms, fizz (I prefer Prosecco, but a nice champers cocktail might be nice - or for those of us who watched the Apprentice last night, English sparkling wine!), maybe g and t, rose (am trying to think of what I'd drink in the garden, but I'm a 'anywhere and anything' kinda gal so I'm struggling!), sangria, fruit punch, that lovely strawberry cider that comes in the big brown bottles that you have in a tall glass with ice?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Crumpets at a wedding? Yes please!

I would go with Pimms or fruity cocktails.

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

The food looks lovely ! I think bellinis ( excuse spelling) would be lovely! Xx

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be the 1000th person on here who also says Pimms. Love bellinis but as someone else said, they'd need to be served individually, so depending on how your tables are going to be set out, I'd probably stick with things that can be served in jugs. How about pitchers of beer?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ummmm beer and crumpets....

PB - Do you want my address so you can send me my invitation?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Yeah may as well Tricks, hitchers can come instead of all the family who can't be bothered RSVPing.

Maybe jugs of Pimms then as it is so popular, but I will have a fruit punch on the top table for myself! I like the idea of cider or possibly one of those fruity beers, I know of a delicious strawberry lager that would set off the scones nicely.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dribbling............

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh god. I'm Tricks' +1.

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    MummyBrads ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a wedding where they served mojitos. It was really different and every one loved them

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why not? I did say depending on the style of the party. Vintage tea cups in granny's dining room - maybe not? Garden party and bunting - I see no problem.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You misunderstand me Knees!

I meant uummmmm as in yum, beer and crumpets.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think Tricks is agreeing with you Knees.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Not sure yet, OH will want to avoid fishy ones though I know that much, but I love a bit of fish! I would be tempted to ignore the 'plainer' ones such as cheese and onion or egg mayo, but then again I know some people love those so it's a bit tricky.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah sorry! I thought it was more of a "hmm...what a strange combination"!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought the 'ummmmm' were sounds of drool rather than doubt.

We aren't planning on doing the garden party/bunting theme thing, just wanted a nice light summery menu and this seems to fit the bill. I hope people won't think it seems a bit out of place and random.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely not! I would be thrilled if I went to a wedding and saw that on the menu.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely not. I think it's fab to have a bit of a change from the norm.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

All sounds delicious, love the sound of the strawberry beer too!

Have you to buy in the drink yourself or just tell the caterers what you want? M&S do bottles of pre-made fizzy cocktails like kir royals etc which might be an easy option and they often have them on special offer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics