Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

What alcoholic drinks go with an afternoon tea?

pandorasbox, 16 May, 2012 at 23:15

Posted on Planning 42

Now that we have our caterer crisis sorted and have a more pricey replacement, we have to go with a slightly cheaper (yet much more fun) option than our original plan of a sit down 3 course dinner with white wines. OH thinks white wine is fine, I suggested jugs of alcoholic fruit punch or cocktails...

Now that we have our caterer crisis sorted and have a more pricey replacement, we have to go with a slightly cheaper (yet much more fun) option than our original plan of a sit down 3 course dinner with white wines. OH thinks white wine is fine, I suggested jugs of alcoholic fruit punch or cocktails could be out on the tables, but he pointed out the men may not fancy that. But then again I don't know many blokes who go for wine anyway, and I think they would just buy themselves a beer at the bar before the meal. We will still provide some fizz for toasts prior to the meal.

What alcoholic drinks would go nicely with the following, or shall we leave it at wine?

Afternoon Tea

A Selection of Freshly made Sandwiches - Choose 5 of the following:

Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese, Egg Mayonnaise and Mustardcress, Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion Stuffing, Tuna Mayonnaise, Fresh Salmon with Dill Mayonnaise, Cheese and Onion, Honey Roast Ham with Mustard, Wensleydale, Chutney and Watercress, Roast Beef with Horseradish, Avocado, Pesto and Chicken on Ciabatta

Quiche Lorraine, Cheese and Onion Tarts, Potato Cakes or Spinach, Feta Cheese and Sundried Tomato Filo Tarts

A Selection of Hot Crumpets and Teacakes

Homemade Plain and Fruit Scones with Strawberry Preserve and Clotted Cream

4 of the following: Chocolate Eclairs, Raspberry Meringues, Strawberry Shortcake, Vanilla Slices, Lemon Drizzle Cake, Coffee and Walnut Cake, Chocolate Cake, Swiss Rolls

Choose 2 of the following: Shortbread, Caramel Shortbread, Flapjacks, Melting Moments, Tiffin

Tea, Earl Grey Tea and Coffee

42 replies

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds absolutely lush and is now actually making me re-consider the formal 3 course meal we were going to order as the hotel we are thinking of using does a champagne afternoon tea for half the price. Hmmm....

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Any of the above!

Can't beat a chilled glass of fizz though Smiley smile

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Fizz, fruity cocktails or wine sound nice. Pimms too, I just don't like it myself but it's very popular. I'm afraid I'd have to have a cup of tea at some point too. It sounds absolutely yummy. Grand idea!

• MrsG2B28.7.12
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsG2B28.7.12 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a similar menu with bottles of wine and bottles of Thatchers Katy rose on the tables. I think Pimms goes really well but we are having it as our welcome drink, Shloer also does a really nice fruit punch drink as a good, quick nonalcoholic option.

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content

PIMMS!!!

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if this is of any help but we are having afternoon tea but we are not exactly having a drink to accompany it as such our will be something like this:-

Welcome drink for guests on arrival to the evening venue 5.30pm

Afternoon tea 6.15pm they will buy their own drink here then

Speeches and drink to taost at 7pm

BBQ at 8.30pm

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics