Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs*W*2B
Beginner August 2014

What % are you catering for in the evening?

Mrs*W*2B, 22 December, 2011 at 13:20 Posted on Planning 0 16

We have found a venue that we like, we have been to see it and had a quote for it, we are taking our parents back to look at the venue and discuss the quote...we are having 120 in the day and 150 in the evening and so the majority will have eaten a 3 course meal, therefore we aren't thinking they will want to eat LOADS in the evening...this place has quoted us for an evening buffet but quoted us for 100% of the people at the moment, we are looking to bring the quote down a tad and this would be the obvious area to cut back on as all other areas are resonable...however we are not sure what is a reasonable amount to ask if we can cater for?

We aren't sure if the venue has a minimum percentage, this is something we will have to ask when we go back but what is the norm for evening catering? did anyone HAVE to cater for 100%? or do most venues allow you to cater for less...i just think if we cater for everyone that the day time guests will hardly touch the buffet leaving a lot of waste both in food and money!!

Smiley smile x

16 replies

Latest activity by Tracy2012, 24 December, 2011 at 20:00
  • bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

Well i am having 75 day guests and have invited a further 130 in the evening...

We are having our sit down meal at around 4.30.....i am only catering for 100 for the evening cheese and biscuits!!

• G
    Beginner May 2012
    groomzilla ·
    • Hide content

We are having 80 for the evening and our venue suggested catering for 60 for that very reason.

• ClaireMcToBe
    Beginner September 2012
    ClaireMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

Our venue told us that for a typical finger buffet in the evening, they would ask us for the total number of guests and then they would cater for 70%. As it happens, we are having bacon rolls, and for that we really need to cater for 100%. I don't think that will be a problem though, because that's one for everybody, and lots of our evening guests (and some of the day guests too I'm willing to bet!) will take seconds, so it will balance out.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

We catered for 75% of our evening guests and still had loads left over!! Our venue were fine about catering for less. x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We catered for 75% of our day guests at 49 - we had 65 in the day and another 30 in the evening.

There was still food left over.

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

We're having 80 in the day for a 3 course meal and 120 in the evening. These are the venue's minimum numbers and they've said that we have to cater for all evening guests otherwise if there's not enough food the hotel gets blamed for not providing enough. I think this is daft as when I'm a day guest at a wedding I hardly touch the evening buffet however if we end up having extra evening guests I won't be telling the hotel and will just pay the minimum numbers as there will be more than enough and I don't like the thought of waste.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

We catered for 75% of the expected total evening guests. This was on the advice of the venue. As usual, there was food left over, but not as much as I've seen at other Wedding.

Some guests do stick around for the 1st dance and then leave - some can't make it, and others simply don't want to eat.

I'd suggest you discuss with catering for a smaller amount, if they are providing a buffet.

This could easily save you £300+ (depending on numbers and buffet costs per head)

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is going to be my point to the venue, the numbers we are having are their maximum numbers so they are catering for a lot anyway...the evening buffet if cut down to 75% of people would mean a saving of over £500 which is a lot when you are on a budget! from what everyone has said i can't see them saying we HAVE to cater for 100% especially as our numbers are their maximum numbers so we have no problem meeting their minimum!! we shall see what they have to say!! but fingers crossed they agree to 75%!! Thanks everyone!! Smiley smile x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I think 75% is definitely the norm.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

We'll be catering for 75% as this is the minimum that our contract allows, and like you I'm worried that if we order any more it will just go to waste.

Next decision is what time to have the evening buffet bought out. Our breakfast will finish at 8pm when the evening guests arrive, and the bar closes at 1am, so we're thinking 10pm - does that sound too late?

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Our venue says we have to cater for 100% but were having pork batches so there one for everyone and the cost is only 5.50 so not exactly breaking the bank!

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

A friend of ours catered for 75% and had loads left over so we catered for 70% and it was just right. We only had a little bit of food left over and everyone was happy.

Aimee x

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has recommended catering for 75% as they said a lot of food would be wasted otherwise.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ye im thinking 75% will be more than enough!! hopefully!

as for your question...I think it depends what your having and if your having any extra people...if your having a cold buffet id say a tad earlier as it can stay out longer but if its hot 10 should be fine....only problem is if you have any extras in the evening they could be very hungry by 10pm if they havn't had dinner yet Smiley tongue x

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We'd not thought about that Mrs W2B. We're having about another 30 for the evening, and not even thought about what to have for the evening food yet. Guess we need to decide on the food before setting times.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We're having a BBQ in the evening so I guess we need to cater for exact numbers. I've put "BBQ at 8pm" on my evening invites so my guests know not to have food before they come

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has minimum numbers. 80 adults during the day and we have to cater for 75% of evening guests as a minimum.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics