Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chucklevision
Beginner July 2015

what are you having for christmas dinner

Chucklevision, 22 of December of 2014 at 19:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

So this year is the first year ever that I won't be spending Christmas day & I'm blessed with a chef for a dad so im a bit apprehensive about the dinner at the OH's.

At my folks, we usually have avocado, prawns & salmon or pate to start, turkey with all the trimmings & sherry trifle, & port & cheese. Plus sausage rolls & homemade scotch eggs to snack on during the day.

This year, its prawns pil pil, a 3 meat roast (no turkey) & panettone cake with custard. I have say I'm a bit gutted I'll be missing out the 'pigs in blankets'

Anyway, It's got me thinking about what everyone will have for their Christmas dinner???

21 replies

Latest activity by Pompey, 24 of December of 2014 at 22:13
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

We have pate & oatcakes, steak pie with all the trimmings then a dessert which I normally skip as I am always so full x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My mum normally does a soup of some sort to start, then I have a VBites brand fake turkey roast with fake pigs in blankets, the usual veg and gravy. Then Christmas pudding with either soya custard or soya cream - I know my mum has got both so I can choose. I dunno about tea - she usually does buffet type things, stuff like Indian snacks and fake sausage rolls for me, and crisps and nuts. She's ventured into Holland & Barrett this year and is very excited to have found vegan pizzas and pork pies Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

We always have prawn and avocado coctail followed by a full turkey roast with pigs in blankets, stuffing etc. then my nan's recipe Christmas pudding with thick cream.

Yum!!!!!!!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We never have a starter either Flora Smiley smile

We're pretty traditional - turkey, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, sprouts, carrots and other veggies, pigs in blankets, stuffing and a boatful of gravy followed by Christmas pudding and cream, not custard or brandy butter!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'll be at PiLs' house this year. They usually have goose, but I think we're having turkey this year as MIL did a roast goose for our birthday meal and it wasn't very nice, so she's been put off! There'll be roasties and probably roast parsnips and carrots, and some form of sprouts which I won't eat. Then Christmas pud. Not sure if there'll be a starter.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

We're going up to my grandparents this year and its Grandad's bday on Christmas day, so we're making hot cakes (like a cross between a scone a pancake and an omlette) with cheese and bacon in, then heading to my Auntie's for turkey roast. None of my family ever have starters, and we're usually too full for any kind of dessert! Usually just a sherry before dinner and a port afterwards (bleurgh to both!) and a few cheese and biscuits in the evening. Boxing day is always a big buffet, with my Mum's homemade coronation chicken, yummy

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

One thing I will really miss this year is homemade chesnut stuffing! The recipe is from my Dad's mum, to us its the taste of Christmas, it never quite feels right without it!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh Schwelley - hope your gastritis behaves - you want to be able to enjoy your lunch Smiley smile

We don't have a starter as it fills us up Smiley winking will be the usual Roast Turkey and all the trimmings - lots of sprouts and parsnips nom nom and pigs in blankets - yuk can't stand sausages. But I also have to do Yorkies. I've also got a big pork joint - so enough for an army - there's only 7 of us oops. Because both our dads are diabetic we've decided to go for a homemade rice pudding for pudding instead of pie. Oooh just remembered - ice cream!!! Shops on the way home then grrrrr.

I always have to do far more than we could ever eat because our fave meal ia actually on Boxing day and is of course Bubble & Squeak and I chuck everything in it.

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE STARTER. What should i do? Anyone got a fail safe one? Will H2Bs parents care if we don't have one? My H2B wouldn't eat smoked salmon or prawns (which is what my mum normally does).

We are having turkey crown (only four of us), stuffing, yorkshire puddings, roast tatos, vegetables etc. followed by apple strudel (neither H2B or i do christmas pudding) and home made christmas cake. I have some of those baguettes you put in the oven along with a big ham and some cheese and biscuits for the evening.

This is the first year i am doing the full thing in my own house, with my own oven etc. please have me in your thoughts/prayers/cross your fingers for me as H2B invited both his parents for Christmas dinner. They have been divorced since he was tiny and haven't had Christmas together for 22 years....?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a starter either!

We are at my sister's this year and her and my BIL are excellent cooks. We are having turkey, rib of beef, gammon (cooked by my H) with mountains of roasties, pigs in blankets, parsnips, yorkies, the works basically.

I'm doing dessert so I'm doing lime and ginger pudding (basically a cheesecake with the cheese substituted for condensed milk!) and Tom Kerridge's easy chocolate tart. She'll probably get a Christmas pudding for those that like it too.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We never used to have starters, but these days my parents do the dinner for about 3pm so they tend to do things like tempura prawns to start, then turkey with all the trimmings, then Christmas pudding and mince pies for the men and tifle for me and mum (and the men cos they're pigs)

At the inlaws we have smoked salmon and melon to start (I hate this but because my first Christmas witrh them I didn't want to make MIL feel bad I didn't say I can't stand it and managed to force it down, but now it's every year!!), turkey with all the trimmings and then christmas pud for them and a little mini apple crumble thing for me.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

At my parents we usually have a starter of smoked salmon. We have a different meat every year depending on what we fancy with all the trimming, cauliflower cheese, roast parsnips, sausagement, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puddings etc. Then pudding later in the evening if we're not too full is usually triffle and chocolate log.

This year is our first in our new home and I'll be cooking so I'm skipping starter because I think it's too much with everything else and we're having lamb because it's our favouite. (I don't care if turkey is traditional it's boring and dry).

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Prosecco. I'm having prosecco for Christmas dinner.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pompey wins at Christmas :-D

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

A Chinese!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure mumma bear would agree ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My mumma bear can drink me under the table any day! She would insist there was also food though :-)

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

The works! We don't have a starter as it fills us up too much. We are having turkey, pigs in blankets, roasters, stuffing, carrots, roasted parsnips and sprouts. With gravy and bread sauce. Dessert is a lemon roulade or a chocolate concoction. Washed down with Buck's Fizz, champagne and wine

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This evening my mummy is getting sloshed with johnny b from squeeze. I'm livid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics