Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emabee
Beginner August 2014

What are your first dance songs?

emabee, 30 of July of 2014 at 13:14 Posted on Planning 0 26

We can't decide! We want something quirky and alternative, our perfect song would be something by the Arctic Monkeys, our favourite band but there isn't anything suitable really.

Please help! x

26 replies

Latest activity by MrsA2B2014, 31 of July of 2014 at 17:15
  • mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it depends on your definition of "suitable". Swearing and offensive words - yes, I'd agree, not exactly suitable (unless you can get a radio edit!) but if it's an Arctic Monkeys song you both love and means something to you, I'd say that's more than suitable.

I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor could actually be very apt! ?

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Have you perfect song/artist! Maybe spend some time on youtube see if there are covers or live lounge versions.

May I ask, why does it have to be quirky and alternative?

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

We are having the theme tune form Star Trek: Enterprise. Because we are big geeks, it's a nice song and means something to us!

But 'our' song is Lady GaGa: Bad Romance. Apparently that isn't appropriate!

Can you find any of their acoustic/live versions? You could always have an upbeat song, there is nothing that says it has to be a slow first dance!!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to say Suzie.... that's amazing! Both Star Trek & Gaga.

Our main first dance song is from a movie, but it's really short so I'm thinking we might have a 2nd first dance.... I'd love it to be the theme from Firefly but I don't think I'll get my way with that.

Who's to say something isn't appropriate. I didn't realise there was such a thing as the wedding dance police. If you like it then my opinion is go for it and who cares what people say or think!

• Twinie1
    Beginner May 2018
    Twinie1 ·
    • Hide content

Goo goo dolls- irish.

look it up on YouTube x

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Chickpea278 ·
    • Hide content

Not decided yet, but thinking of Stand by Me Ben E King, as OH put his foot down and said no to All of Me by John Legend which I love even though it is so so so sappy.

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

I asked H2B to pick out first dance song as i wasn't sure whether he would have much to do with the planning (he's in the forces..) but when we were at a wedding recently watching the bride and groom dance I asked if he had picked the song yet. He told me'd chosen 'How long will i love you' by Ellie Goulding which i was surpised at, i had been dropping heavy hints for something else and I would never have picked it myself but now i've listened to it i think it's lovely. It's not OTT or too soppy, it's just sweet and gets the point across. Plus it's slow so i won't have to do any actual dancing! I'm pleased he hasn't picked something super cheesy...he has been known to own a Shania Twain album *shudders*

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    catnor ·
    • Hide content

We are having Your the best thing by Style Council as both are massive Paul Weller fans.

I second going on you tube and looking for slow versions or acoustic versions are your favourite songs. Often it's not the lyrics that are unsuitable but the music to which they are sang.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

My OH has chosen Pencil Full of Lead by Paulo Nutini - I have no idea why! It's not like it's one of our song or anything. He says he wants us to learn to Charleston to it - neither of us is dancers or choreographers! He's got his heart set on it so I daren't say too much!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Hooberstank - The Reason.

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

We are dancing to Arctic Monkeys for our first dance too! Smiley smile We are having 'I wanna be yours'. We think it's perfect, a love poem sang by Arctic Monkey's! I'm also walking down the aisle to 'Mardy Bum' as that is my OH nickname for me! We're having a string quartet play so will be more like they're Glasto version x

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

We are both metal fans, but love lots of other things too. OH introduced me to Sarah McLaclan (she sang the due south theme, haha!) so she is going to be our first dance song, and the lyrics are perfect for us

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KVrXd9f7Pfs

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We always advise to make it something that's really personal to you both and if Arctic Monkeys would be perfect then go for it.

Not so long ago a couple asked us to play a softer ballad as a pretend intro then we went into 'Bet you look good on the dancefloor' and the bride & groom rocked out to their first dance! It went great and certainly gave some lively photos!

Or see if you can get a 'live lounge' style of an Arctic monkeys track?

James

• S
    Beginner January 2016
    Stephanie104 ·
    • Hide content

We sat for weeks, both on youtube playing songs to each other then we found it - Heaven by DJ Sammy. We are playing the slow version for about 30 seconds the playing the normal one so everyone can join in Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

At the moment we're stuck between lionel richie stuck on you (his choice) or jason mraz i'm yours (my choice)

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Mine sings that to me when I get into a mood, with a beaming smile, and I hate it!! Well I love it really, but I hate it cuz i cant stay mad at him then!!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

At the moment, it is the 'You and Me Song' by the Wannadies. It has slow verses with a rockier chorus. The verses are not very romantic but I guess closer to every day love, sweet in its own understated way. The chorus is brilliant.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Oasis Live Forever will be ours. I read something recently where Noel Gallagher was saying the song is about being best friends with someone and not caring about their faults. So pleased we chose it after reading that!

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

I love mardy bum but OH objected to having it as first dance!

We are having "Baby I'm Yours" by Arctic Monkeys - think it was a b side on something - I love it! ?

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

We are having the lumineers ho hey

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Ours is Ray Lamontagne - You Are The Best Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3xTjvj9tw

I love that the first line is 'Baby, it's been a long day...' as I think that's exactly what we'll be feeling by then!

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah we vetoed it for the first dance as we're hoping I won't have a frown on the day! Smiley winking So the words didn't really fit but it's our song and we don't do cheesy so thought an instrumental version was the right way to go as we'll get our little in joke whereas most people will just hear a nice sound from the string quartet Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mahalia does a beautiful version. Worth a google as think it's a free download on website Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    these_days ·
    • Hide content

We are having Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi.

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

Ours is Bob Marley - Is this love Smiley laugh

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is All of Me by John Legend. Haven't stopped crying since I heard it on the radio. We tried to do something a little bit more alternative but me and OH have totally different tastes in music. If we do a Father Daughter dance we'll have SL2 On A Ragga Tip. For no reason, just because it'll get the party started.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics