Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2016

What are your men wearing?

mkw, 16 of July of 2015 at 16:07 Posted on Planning 0 21

Just wondering what everyone's OHs will be wearing on their wedding day? We're not really sure where to start, other than we'd like OH to get a really nice suit tailored (he wears a suit to work so he'd be able to get plenty of use out of it). No idea about colour or where to get those bits of fabric that go in pockets, fancy ties etc.

We're also wondering about best man and ushers... Our best man lives abroad, as do two of the ushers, all in completely different places so getting them all together to get matching suits is going to be next to impossible. Plus, they're all completely different shapes so finding something that looks good on OH's brother Vs my brother is also going to be next to impossible. OH thinks we can just ask them all to wear a suit of a certain colour e.g. dark grey, and rent one for them if they don't own one already, but would that look weird? Do they need to match more?

Also, are father of the bride and father of the groom also supposed to coordinate with the other men in the wedding party? And what about master of ceremonies?!

Gah, I can't move for reading stuff about wedding dresses, but there's so much less out there in wedding mags etc about what to do with the boys!

21 replies

Latest activity by Choods87, 20 of July of 2015 at 15:56
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Can't find an exact image, but it'll be this with the Sash and the kilt is much nicer/better quality! The other men will be wearing their family tartans. I wouldn't say they have to match, button holes will identify them as the wedding party!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Calella, so jealous he's wearing a kilt! I'd love that!

I've seen lots of wedding reports where people have bought or hired the exact same suit for all the men, but it seems to be equally common to just ask them to get a suit in the same colour. That's definitely been more common at weddings I've been a guest at, and probably what we'll be doing (also have people scattered all over the world). I don't think it looks weird, you can easily make them look like a 'set' with identical ties, buttonholes, etc. Actually, I have been at weddings where I didn't know the groom and found it weird that I couldn't tell which one of the guys he was as they all looked exactly the same! Smiley smile As far as I remember, both fathers generally wear the same colour/suit and have a button hole too.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

My OH was adamant that he did not want everyone in matching suits (which I was a little sad about, as I'd have liked my Dad in something special but hey ho). I thought he was being a massive diva but when I raised the issue on here, it is apparently very much the "in" thing to have the men in different suits, or different shades of a type of suit, or have them set apart just a little bit.

My OH has chosen a dark navy suit, with a tweed waistcoat underneath and a burgundy tie (just a normal tie, not a fancy one or a cravat or anything). His best man has the same suit and tie, but won't be wearing the waistcoat (or may have a navy waistcoat, I'm not sure). Everyone else can come however they like Smiley smile if they want to fit the colour scheme that's fine, I'm sure my dad is jazzing his suit up somehow and my brother may be too.

If you definitely do want everyone in matching tails though, yeah that would be a pain for you with the distance etc!

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a simple affair. No bestman etc. OH will be wearing a tailored charcoal grey suit, crisp white shirt and a waistcoat that matches the colour of my dress. No tie/cravat/pocket squares etc. Nice and simple but he'll still look like the groom if he takes his jacket off.

Beginner April 2016
    *Nik* ·
    • Hide content

My H2B is going to be wearing a tailor made suit. Definitely black and I think he is thinking pinstripe. The Best Men and Usher will just wear a plain black suit. Then they will all wear ivory waistcoats with cravattes in our colour and buttonholes to match.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be wearing a grey kilt. It's the one on the left in this picture.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

My oh is wearing a kilt in his clan tartan. I can't wait. I have to say the picture posted by calella, the laces are wrong, they should never be that far up the leg. Lovely outfit though.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

We are having grey tailcoats with pinstripe dress trousers for all 7 boys in the bridal party (groom, BM, 3x ushers and both dads). I like the uniform look so wanted them to match.

We are rentimg the suits and I had the boys send me their measurements so I could order them (as some don't live nearby) and I can make last minute changes if needed x

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be wearing this with a white shirt and a lavender paisley tie and pocket square, plus a double buttonhole in purple and lavender.

We're just family, no best man or anything. The other men will be wearing what they wish but will each have a single buttonhole.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

My H2B will be wearing something along the lines of this. The best man and usher will wear the same, although maybe with a different colour tie. We will buy the suits in the January sales and the guys will get them tailored nearer the time. My dad will wear something similar but probably not identical. He's a bigger guy so we wouldn't be able to buy from the same shop, and he would probably be uncomfortable in a waistcoat. H2B also wants his dad to wear the same too, although that's not the norm traditionally.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

We've gone for the classic suit with the fathers, ushers, best man and groom all in matching suits, apart from the groom has ivory details rather than turquoise!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

My hub rented classic grey tails from Moss Bros for him, Best man, ushers, my dad, and his dad. He was adamant he wanted grey tails from the start, and forced his dad into them against his will! I left him to it.

We had my dad in US, best man in Israel, and FIL, ushers all in different cities. We ordered for everyone at the Moss Bros near us, then they went in and got measured/had suits delivered to their local store. We then returned them all to our store after the wedding. Best man and my dad got measured by suit hire shops in their home countries and sent the measurements to us, we then ordered their suits. They tried them on 3 days before the wedding, which was plenty of time to get a replacement waistcoat and jacket for my dad when his turned out to be a bit too big.

I'd say if you've got wedding party in different countries, hiring from a nationwide chain is definitely the least hassle.

ETA: they all had the same colour cravat, hubs had an ivory waistcoat and everyone else had grey waistcoats. Hubs had a white rose as a buttonhole and everyone else had lavender.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

My OH is wearing a nice navy suit (no waistcoat). At least that's the plan. I really don't like the matching thing but as it turns out he decided that his two best men will have the same suit just with a different colour tie.

I don't think not matching looks weird but I dislike it so I'm bound to say that Smiley winking

We're not having ushers so don't need to worry about that and my dad is wearing a kilt in his tartan.

Oh and my page boys are wearing navy trousers and waistcoats with a peach colour bow tie.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

The guys in our bridal party will be wearing this suit with champagne cravats (H2B, Bestmen x2, my Dad, H2B's step dad, my Grandad and my brother who is acting as usher)

Think H2B will have a different waist coat though as he'd like to 'stand out' (you'd like to think everyone there will know he's the groom anyway!!) I do think having guys in different suits would look nice though!

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

We're having a best man and no official ushers (although my brother will probably help in that aspect) and then our respective fathers have their own roles.

My OH has said that he isn't bothered about everyone matching and I'm not fussed either way.

My mum and MIL have; however, said that it will look silly if they don't match and that we all need to co-ordinate a day/meeting where the boys can go shopping together and find something.

a) I don't trust the group of boys to do anything together, let alone make a decision like this!

b) we really don't care what people wear, as long as they're happy.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Nothing out of the ordinary... but H2B didn't want black so we've gone for dark grey Smiley smile

Groom will have a darker pink, the best man and ushers the lighter pink Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

We rented navy suits with white shirts and egg plant silk ties. We bought the white shirts and egg plant ties.

The rental suits were much nicer than the suits in the shop for sale.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very similar to this, bespoke made suit (he's an odd shape, lanky but broad shoulders and concave back), but he didn't wear a tie/bowtie/cravat, just open collar.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

No idea. I've told OH to sort them out himself. The only things he needs to bear in mind are that my BMs will be in royal blue and I will most likely be in ivory. I have asked him to buy a modern Chinese-style jacket (mandarin collar, chinese silk knots etc) for the evening, to go with my cheongsam.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be wearing a dark grey suit with matching waistcoat, a 'normal' tie and pocket square (he loves them!) - the best man and my dad are definitely matching (my dads desperate to wear a 3 piece suit!) and I think that's about it Smiley smile his dad and grandad will also have buttonholes.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

Mr C, his best man, my dad and my brother will just be in nice suits - we've decided we're not bothered about them matching/co-ordinating necessarily. The only thing I have stipulated is that my dad isn't allowed to wear a comedy bow tie! He is a vicar (not taking the service or marrying us though) so he may wear his dog collar.

• C
    Beginner September 2015
    Choods87 ·
    • Hide content

We bought suits, shirts and ties rather than hiring as it worked out a little cheaper and I liked the idea of giving them something that they can wear again (rather than just giving them an engraved gift that they may never use again).

My H2B is wearing a three piece blue suit with a skinny yellow tie and a sunflower buttonhole. The best man, groomsmen and my dad are all wearing a light grey two piece suit with skinny blue ties and blue delphinium buttonholes. I really wanted my Dad to match the boys, my own personal preference and as my dad doesn't wear suits regularly (hes a carpenter so not much call for them!) I didn't want him to be lumbered with the cost of buying a new one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics