Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner

What are your thoughts on our menu?

ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257, 2 of December of 2015 at 17:20 Posted on Planning 0 12

We are finally getting undeway with our menu planning! We are hosting a wedding weekend for our guests, so we have quite a few meals to plan. Thankfully the venue will be deciding the menu for the breakfasts on the morning of the wedding and the morning after. I think they offer a selection of sausage/bacon, french toast, american style pancakes, eggs, fruit and bagels.

These are our tentative menus so far. What do you think? They are very American but we've tried to incorporate some English tastes (like Indian flavors and peri peri sauce). Do you think this will appeal to our guests?

Welcome BBQ

-BBQ Chicken, Beef Brisket or Burger (Depends on what OH chooses. Veggie burgers available), all day ribs.

-Jalapeno cornbread, New England style clam chowder, and local seasonal vegetables

-Garden salad with maple vinegarette dressing

-Homemade cookies and bars

We will provide lunch the day of the wedding which will be a deli style packed lunch our guests can take with them while doing waterfront activities (we're renting a camp for the weekend).

We are getting married in Vermont which is known for its local produce and cheese. Most of OH's guests have never been to New England (or the US) so I really wanted to highlight the local seasonal food in our reception menu. We're getting married in autumn which is why everything is maple syrup, cranberries, and apples.

Cocktail Hour (5:00-6:00)

- Chocolate Maple Chicken Wings (Sounds weird but it's really delicious. Think spicy Mexican chocolate!) (Stationary)

- Mixed platters - homemade hummus, guacamole, farm crudites, pita chips, tortilla chips (stationary) ( I really wanted a cheese platter but our caterer didn't offer one!)

- Peri peri prawns, portobello mushrooms roasted with butter and sea salt, Indian spiced vegetable fritter, mini grilled cheese with honey mustard dipping sauce (all passed)

Some people have mentioned ditching the mushrooms for a meat pie type option (like empanadas or a similar indian version). I think the hors d'oeuvres are already a little on the heavy side though and it's nice to have a vegetable option. Thoughts?

Reception Buffet

-Sweet cornbread with butter, mesclun salad with maple syrup/apple cider vinegar dressing, salt potatoes, brussel sprouts with cranberries and bacon topped wtih wildflower honey and dijon mustard

-Grilled pork loins brined in apple cider, grilled on applewood fire, with maple syrup BBQ sauce (carving station)

-Turkey breasts with white wine sauce, grilled on charcoal fire (carving station)

-Parmesan polenta pie topped with tomato, feta and butternut squash

-Dessert table of assorted tarts, cookies and brownies. We will probably have a very small strawberry covered NY style cheesecake as our wedding cake.

My OH's mother is concerned our guests will miss having beef. We were given a beef option which was the same as the turkey except in red wine sauce but we didn't want to have two almost identical dishes and the pork loin just sounded so amazing we had to include it. We are serving beef the night before so are hoping that will be enough. We originally wanted a plated dinner with 3 main options (2 meats, 1 vegetarian) for our guests to choose from, but it's so hard to pick just one so we thought a buffet would give everyone a chance to try a little of everything. Although I'm a little worried a buffet will seem less formal.

We are also having a late night bonfire where we will be roasting s'mores (chocolate and roasted marshmallow sandwiched between two graham crackers) but are wondering if we will need a savory late night option as well? How hungry will people be after drinking? Since we are staying on site for the weekend people may very well bring their own snacks so I suppose that is something to take into account too.

12 replies

Latest activity by Karen84, 7 of December of 2015 at 11:39
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Omg that sounds amazing. I'm on a diet (5 weeks to go) and you have just killed me!

Hmm yes people do get hungry when drinking but sounds like there is lots of food.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I have a feeling I will be overfeeding the Brits and underfeeding the Americans! We usually have several large stationary displays with cheese/crackers/bread/fruit/dips and perhaps a charcuterie display or raw bar as well, along with passed hors d'oeuvres. Followed immediately by the main meal which sometimes can have a dessert in addition to cake. Then sometimes snacks/chocolate fountain/etc during the dancing. And keep in mind our weddings traditionally go 4:00-10:00 so that is a lot of food in a short amount of time. A lot of it probably goes to waste but putting out a "spread" and overfeeding people is what is expected. Especially with the amount of fresh seafood in my hometown. Luckily OH and I are not seafood eaters so that is one thing to cross off the list!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds delicious! I don't think anyone will "miss beef" on the day, they'll be having too much fun! Some people might prefer a savoury option for late in the evening, if it's a camp fire theme could you offer some hot dogs or something?

Like Jayne, I am also on a diet and I'm soooo hungry now!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm sooooo hungry toooooo.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing! Can I come (just to eat all your food) ☺

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Hot dogs for a late night snack are such a great idea! We can roast them over the fire at the same time as the marshmallows!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! It would be so much fun!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Your menu sounds amazing - I think offering a buffet is the right thing to do in your circumstances, precisely because it means your UK guests get to try lots of different US things, especially the Vermont specific items.

There is no hard and fast rule in UK weddings about serving beef at the wedding breakfast... In fact I don't think I've ever had beef at a wedding! Don't worry about your FMIL's opinions - I'm guessing this is the same FMIL who wasn't keen on your wedding venue etc? Is she just trying to nitpick at everything now?

Hot dogs over the campfire sound great, plus I would imagine there may well be some food left over from earlier, and plenty of people will be happy to just pick at that. We're having a BBQ including burgers, chicken skewers, Chinese marinated pork and a veg/halloumi option, plus a load of salads and potatoes etc, so I'm aiming to have a big pile of the leftovers for people to nibble on in the evening, plus a table of cakes and puds and maybe some pizza from our local pizzeria.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

No critical comments at all to be honest it al sounds amazing - can I please come?!?!

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god this sounds awesome! I'm with everyone else I want to come to your wedding to try all that food! Your whole wedding sounds fab!

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Sounds absolutely amazing, and the choice of food.

Also, your FMIL is wrong, there is beef - it's the burger or brisket, unless she makes her burgers out of lamb ? However the hot dog over the fire - amazing.

• L
    Beginner July 2018
    Lilypad1 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing! I might have to look into organising something like this ?

Personally I wouldn't have any mushrooms though! Haha. x

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

This menu sounds incredible! I don't for a moment believe anyone would 'miss beef' at a wedding, and they certainly wouldn't miss anything with what you're providing.

I think you've got a really nice balance. It's nice that you're considering English tastes but don't be under the impression English people only want to eat familiar foods when they're abroad. Half the fun of going on holiday for me is trying new foods.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics