Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2016

What beer to serve at wedding reception?

Clairej20, 5 of April of 2016 at 20:45 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi ladies,

what beer are you serving at your wedding reception? I'd like to serve one lager and one ale but can't decide. We are providing drink for the day ourselves as the bar isn't open until the evening.

9 replies

Latest activity by Ellerslie, 9 of June of 2022 at 07:52
  • Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

My H2B has very much enjoyed going to the local brewery to sample all of their ales, we're going to get a keg of his favourite which will go behind the bar, but you can easily set them up yourself! Might be nice to have something a bit different, and he likes the fact that it'll be our wedding beer that he can drink on anniversaries etc to remember the day!

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Emmy1102 has a great idea with the local brewery. We're having craft beer at our wedding, because that's what the caterer we decided to use offers. I think it will be nice to have something that is a little bit different. Although I'm not a big fan of beer so it will be completely up to OH to select the menu.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

We'll be working with our local brewery and their brewer to produce our own beer for the big day! We're hoping it'll be available to buy in casks and bottles after the wedding at pubs throughout the district.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Our bar is serving Beck vier on tap, bottled Peroni and a bottled craft ale. We could have gone with a cask but 1) we weren't sure how many people would want it and 2) a cask needs to be in situ 24 hours before serving for the sediment to settle (for ales - not sure about anything else, truthfully I'm going to be on the cocktails ?)

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

We're going to have bottled Peroni and Stowford Press (got to have cider in the West Country!) during the drinks reception, then once the bar opens in the evening we'll have a lager on draught, more Stowford and a real ale - the groom is a fan of pale ale, so perhaps Wye Valley HPA which is made locally to us.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I would go to your local brewery. Most Brewers will allow you to do a proper tasting session which will help you decide. I would avoid stouts or porters personally. Also are you getting keg or bottle as if it's a keg it will need to settle for 24 hours before being tapped then will need resting time after that before serving. You may want to ask your venue about prepping it for you

• L
    Beginner May 2016
    Lurking Groom ·
    • Hide content

Ladies,

It's a subject close to my own heart. I've been lurking for a while but created an account just to reply to you.

Don't worry too much about settling time on the casks. If you go with something like a polypin (36 pints), you can with most breweries have them produced "Bright". It means there is no settling time, but be aware that a Bright ale will generally only be good for 2 to 3 days, so it can't be picked up in advance.

Here's to good beer with no settling time!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Also, do consider the strength of the beer...Most "decent" beers are higher in alcohol level......not so good if people want to "last the night" and not fall asleep.....

Serious beer drinkers are not that keen on the gassy beers/lagers, so it does depend on the mix of guests you have coming as to what to go for for best.....

Peter (Abbott Ale and Fullers ESB...amongst others!!!)

• E
    Beginner June 2022 Auckland
    Ellerslie ·
    • Hide content

Wine by the glass such as Graham Norton Own Prosecco and Brown Brothers Zibibbo are served at weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics