Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FIONATS73
Beginner August 2009

What best to do with the Top Tier of the Wedding Cake??? Help Please?

FIONATS73, 2 September, 2009 at 09:25 Posted on Planning 0 14

Well all our wedding cake has been cut up and eat. Have told h not to touch the top tier as it should be kept for the christening of our 1st child. When the time comes!

So what would be the best way to freeze it and store it???

TIA

x

14 replies

Latest activity by snowiecat, 5 September, 2009 at 08:11
  • tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

My mum wrapped up my first one in greaseproof paper and then a freezer bag and finally a tupperware box to stop it from getting knocked in the freezer. We actually took it out 18 mths later and tried a bit (cos this was the first time around and we were splitting up) and it was fine...would have lasted for years TBH.

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you,

Never thought about greese proof paper, I thought it would be cling film and tin foil. Will cover it anything to keep it for either our 1st anniversary or christening

x

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The thing with cling (rhymes!) is that it looses its 'cling' when it gets really cold and tin foil might go funny after a while in the freezer, it also aids freezer burn.

• H
    HappyBlueDiamonds331 ·
    • Hide content

No need to freeze it if you wrap it really well, personally I don't like to freeze cake that is iced because sometimes the icing can go sticky. Wrap it really well in a double layer of greaseproof, then a tin foil and put in an air tight tin and store somewhere cool and dry and it will be fine. The lst wedding cake I made (my niece's) was kept this way for 5 years and was perfectly fine when unwrapped. Couldn't use it though because it contained nuts and they had gone rancid.

• Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey
    Beginner December 2008
    Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey ·
    • Hide content

Assuming that it's a fruit cake, it wont need freezing if it has a high alcahol content. Just wrap it in greaseproof and store somewhere cool and dry.

If you want or need to freeze it, always wrap with greaseproof first as tin foil can react with the cake, tainting it's flavour..

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content

I was advised to take the icing off mine if we were freezing. You can always get it re-iced.

Def no more children for us so we ate it lol. Mind you had enough alcohol in it to store for decades I think!

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, it is now in a sealed container. Going to turn it upside down bit more brandy, greaseproof paper and tinfoil. Back of cupboard and keep the brandy topped up.

I forgot my anut makes them, my nan would be shouting at me from above telling me what to do.

x

• H
    HappyBlueDiamonds331 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Fiona, I wouldn't keeping unwrapping and giving it brandy once it is wrapped, as long as it is well sealed it will be fine honestly, if you feed it to much alcohol you might find it goes soggy in the middle and all you will taste is the brandy. x

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you that is a good point, but I do like brandy. Don't want soggy fruit cake

x

• H
    HappyBlueDiamonds331 ·
    • Hide content

No problem at all, don't waste the Brandy though just drink it lol x

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

No excuse to drink brandy, love it.

x

• Splosh
    Beginner May 2007
    Splosh ·
    • Hide content

My mum took the icing off ours before freezing it. It came out 3 years later for our daughter's christening! Mum just re-iced & redecorated it (she did our wedding cake too, so just decorated it the same way)

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

Might be controversal but you could just eat it?! I don't get all this saving it for the christening stuff. I know loads of people who save their cakes and never use them. My SIL saved hers and got married 16 years ago - she's had two kids and two christenings in that time! Even if you do use the cake the top tier will probably too small anyway - unless your cake was mahoosive.

Just thought I'd offer another option ? We made our cake last until mid Jan and gave bits to all our friends who weren't at the wedding

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm with you on that one, I ate it all myself lol

• snowiecat
    Beginner March 2010
    snowiecat ·
    • Hide content

Well the top tier of our cake will be sponge for those who don't like fruit cake so no saving that. Anyway our daughter will be a flower girl so I think it's a bit late for that ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics