Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HeidiHole
Beginner October 2003

What colour shall I paint my hallway?

HeidiHole, 8 of September of 2008 at 10:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

We've just decorated our sitting room and next weekend Mr Hole wants to do the hallway. I am all out of inspiration, looking at all the colour charts online has made me colour blind.

It's quite a big job as we have wide stairs and the paint has to follow through to the whole upstairs and loft conversion. Also, our stairs turn after the first 4 steps so there's a big piece of wall where a very big grey and black painting is going, so it has to fit that too.

I'm thinking a cappuccino colour, but am all paint coloured out. Please heyulp me.

Fankoo ?

14 replies

Latest activity by HeidiHole, 8 of September of 2008 at 11:41
  • K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

What colours do you have in the rest of the house (that aren't going to get decorated in the foreseeable)? What colours do you like - neutrals, brights, rich? Do you want the hall to tie the rest of the house together? What colour carpet/floor do you have (assuming that isn't going to change)?

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

Dulux Egyptian Cotton. Kind of a grey-ish colour. We've just painted our hallway, upstairs and living room with it and its lovely. We have a big hallway and it works really well.

The other one I love is Dulux Gentle Fawn - a very soft grey-purple colour. Our bedrooms are this colour. MrK is not very colour adventurous so I was quite impressed to get him away from Magnolia. ?

We've also used the silk version which has already proved very useful when it comes to wiping off grubby finger marks! ?

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Yellow, I love yellow hallways ?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes, I meant to mention the carpet, sorry ?

It's a beigy biscuity colour and runs throughout the downstairs/stairs and landings. The sitting room is a steely grey colour with black and pewter. The hallway doesn't necessarily have to match that though.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I can tell you what not to go for. Don't pick warm beige, it looks like plaster.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a pale yellow at the moment, Sparks, I hate it ?

Kekapania, will looks those colours up too!

?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.dulux.co.uk/inspiration/latest_trends/nurture.jsp this might give you some inspiration. I found the Dulux a great help when we picked our 'overtly olive' living room.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

Our was recently re-plastered and is now sparkly white (you get snow blind in it!). We are going to paint it a warm grey/purple colour.

try the crown paint website - you can select 5(?) colours from their charts and they will send you an A5 size piece of card painted the colours for free.

Its great! But do pick them from a paint chart as the website colours are very skewed.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, will check them all out.

?

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Natural Hessian is nice if you like neutrals, we have it in our kitchen http://www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/GetTheLookHandler?folder=bedroom030

Ours is apple white which is bright but soothing http://www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourSchemeHandler?name=apple_white I'm so into green at the moment!

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Isn't natural hessian more of a cream? My SIL has it in her living room.

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Blue and white Hooooooopsaaaaaah.

I'm painting my whole house white.

• POD
    Beginner November 2003
    POD ·
    • Hide content

Are you pleased with the living room? Can't believe they got it all done in a weekend, send them my direction please.

Obviously Chook's blue and white suggestion is the best but if you struggle with the stripes this colour is lovely on walls

http://www.farrow-ball.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=0201SW&cid=PC&language=en-GB

If you have a trade paints near you they'll mix and it's much better value and better paint.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

They did it all in a day, PODulika! Mr Hole only had to touch up the paintwork yesterday. Am v pleased with it, just need to find cheap as chips roman blinds. We have seagreass blinds up but they don't match anything now, we obviously didn't think ahead ?

That colour is gorgeous! Sort of what I was thinking of, thank you ?

Thanks all, will be going with QPR colours, natch.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics