Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2005

What colours go with dark brown /chocolate brown?

SAM83, 8 of July of 2009 at 13:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Trying to do some interior design today!

Have a brand new house, have bought a dark brownc/chocolate leather 3 piece suite and the walls are painted magnolia. What colours would go? Was thinking of different shades of green but I am useless at putting colours together so any suggestions please?

Be back after I have fed the daughter.

Thanks

13 replies

Latest activity by Anastasia, 15 of April of 2010 at 11:46
  • maxiemax
    maxiemax ·
    • Hide content

I like pale blue with chocolate brown for interior decorating. Greens/oranges/autumnal colours look nice together I suppose it depends on whether you are going for a more traditional interior or something modern?

• policefox lyn
    Beginner November 2003
    policefox lyn ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the look you're after-

funky- bright pink, turquoise, orange

otherwise- cream, biscuit, caramel, toffee, mint green

Personally, I've got quite a good eye for colours, but something that I find very helpful is to select a load of the strips from the dulux paint mixing section. Either put them next to your sofa to see how the colours go or find one which is the same colour as your sofa and use that for your comparison (always good for if you're trying to match soft furnishings etc and you can always keep the colour sample in your bag where you can't lug your sofa around!!)

Also worth having a play on the paint manufacturers sites, they usually have little interior styles where you can try the colours out or they suggest ones that go together.

Personally, our colour scheme in our living room is of the biscuit, chocolate brown, caramel scheme and our walls are either faded gold or antique gold by Laura Ashley (I think they're faded gold).

• M
    Beginner
    Mwnci ·
    • Hide content

It depends what sort of look you're going for really. Lots and lots of colours go with brown. You could have anything from hot pink or lime green through to teal, right down to creams, or indeed a mix of shades.

What's on the floor? Do you want to paint/wallpaper the wall(s) or just introduce colour through accessories and whatnot?

How did the move from your house go? it'll be so exciting getting into a new place, it seems like only a couple of weeks ago you were talking about looking around showhouses Smiley smile

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content

Are you thinking of painting the walls or do you need advice on colours for accessories?

If you are thinking of painting the walls I wouldn't go any darker than this as it will make a room seem smaller https://furniturefromhome.com/images/store/18563-38-35-t179-sd/760x600/image.jpg

Personally I'd go for cream walls and then use pale greens and a hint of pale pink on accessories. I did a design like this for someone last year and it turned out fab. Very bright, fresh and modern.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Baby pink, fuschia pink, turquoise.

We have 3 cream walls, the main wall is olive green and then we have a chocolate brown corner sofa. Works well.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

We have dark walnut flooring, antique brown leather sofas, cuban red chimney breasts & curtains then the rest of the room is painted a mushroom / grey colour. Accessories vary in lots of reds, browns and oranges.

• Tulip O`Hare
    Beginner
    Tulip O`Hare ·
    • Hide content

We have dark brown sofas, pale beige carpet (nightmare to keep clean) and pale green walls. It took ages to find the right green, we went through about 10 tester pots before we found the right one. It's a fairly 'warm' green (more yellow than blue in it), and I love it.

I used to love dark brown and pale or duck-egg blue, but H says that's passe now...

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

We have gone for an apple green colour, but also considered burnt orange, pale blue and turquoise.

• 1stBaby
    Beginner July 2009
    1stBaby ·
    • Hide content

We are in the same boat at the moment. Our new house is cream walls and carpets througout so I'm having a ball choosing the furniture and accesories. Our new couch will be a mid brown fabric one and we are accesorising with olive green and dark brown for a warm comfortable cosy living room!

Have you got any pics?

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I think I am looking just for accessories as husband doesnt want the faff of painting the walls but I might get him to do one wall after we have moved in.

We havent decided on flooring yet. It will either be beige carpet or wooden flooring but not sure on the colour.

I want modern but nothing too bright or girlie. We are having a black/white bedroom with splashes of fushia pink in there so would prefer to leave the pink out of the living room.

Have listed down your suggestions and will go and hunt down a Dulex chart and go from there.

No pics yet but will get some done.

Thanks again everyone appreciate it.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

We've got red as our accent colour

• R
    rydavis16 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with jelly baby by using red as accent color. I see a lot of designs using that combination. You can also check out more interior design ideas for color schemes/combination at the school for interior design. Good luck!

• J
    Beginner July 2005
    jandan ·
    • Hide content

You sound like me, we have just moved to a brand new house too, hating the magnolia walls!

How brown is your suite? the reason i ask is because we have a very very dark brown suite ( looks black) and we have got one rasberry wall (rest magnolia) and then dark ebony coloured furniture / accessories with chrome.

Or maybe teal / duck egg blue ( we have chocoltae brown and teal in our bedroom)

Hope this helps

Jan

• A
    Anastasia ·
    • Hide content

I like duck egg blue or turquoisey colours with dark brown. or you could go down the rusts with burnt orange, deep red etc or keep it to creams, coffees and browns

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics