Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner January 1998

What did you do after you'd booked your venue?

vintagegirl, 9 January, 2013 at 16:11 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone.

Im hoping to have my venue booked possibly by the end of January/beginning of Feb and I was wondering..what did you decide to work on next??
Obviously I need to decide my colour scheme because I have no clue what ill be doing yet, have some ideas but didnt realise how difficult picking a colour could be!

My H2B thinks we should choose our Photographer and cars. Just curious as to how other people planned their weddings. Did you have a set, structured order of things to choose or just sort of go with the flow?

Thanks! Smiley smile

12 replies

Latest activity by BlossomJ, 9 January, 2013 at 17:25
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

After venue and registrar the next things on my hit list were photographer and band.

I had already sorted my dress and I wasn't having cars.

Basically, as soon as I had the date set I started working on all the elements that were date sensitive i.e. those that get booked up for a particular date.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Are you getting married at the venue or in church & have you sorted anything to do with that hun? That's the next thing!

When are you getting married? I think photographers & cars can get booked up quite quickly, especially in the Summer so yes maybe work on those next.

After I'd booked the venue & registrar I just went with the flow, I didn't really sort things in any particular order x

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

After venue and registrar we booked the photographer as these tend to book up quickly. Then I did DJ as the one I wanted is very popular.

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

When is the wedding to be booked for? I think it depends on urgency on practical things vs colour and things...

I will be booking by the same time as you for a 2014 wedding, and the next on the list will be Registrer, Photographer, Flowers & Band/Music.

Then the other stuff can wait a bit as there isn't really a big rush for decisions and can spend a bi more time dreaming and choosing...

Makes sense? ?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Tog next! And services basically like DJ/band. Details and decorations are more flexible.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

As Kharv said, anything that ties someone up for the day needs booking. Colour scheme/dress/choosing of flowers can wait. Tog, cake maker, florist, hair/MUA, band/DJ, church/registrar, transport are all things that need booking in advance. The florist (for example) doesn't need to know exactly what flowers you want to book you in her diary.

• Mrs.P.To.Be
    Beginner March 2013
    Mrs.P.To.Be ·
    • Hide content

Our next step was sorting the photographer and then the DJ. Agree with the others here that the photogrpahers do seem to get booked up early, and to me it's one of the most important parts of the day.

• V
    Beginner January 1998
    vintagegirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

I am having a Church wedding and will be booking this once I have a provisional date from my chosen venue. Im planning on getting married at the beginning of October in 2014, so I do have a while yet. However, because me and my H2B are not able to live together before we're married (no religious reasons, I just have a rather strict dad), we are saving for a mortgage on a house too. So we aim to have everything for wedding more or less done by around June 2014, this then gives us time to concentrate on house related things if necessary.

I think ill take your advice and think about things that get booked up quickly, e.g. photographer, DJ, bands, flowers, and then concentrate on colours and things!

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Seems like a reasonable caring dad to me Smiley smile

And yeah the colours and things are the most fun and we tend to want to do them first, nothing stops you looking and getting ideas now, just don' let them distract you from the bits that get snapped by others fast!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

It's usually people like Caterers (if it's not a hotel), Photographer and Entertainment.

I'm sure the Guys here can recommend people?

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Definitely photographer and entertainment next ? but also cars, particularly if you other half has his heart set on a particular car, Suppliers that can provide no more than one thing for any day should be at the top of the priority list. Cakes, invites, favours, table decorations etc can wait - it's the people that need to be there on the day, and can do no other wedding on that same day, that you want to be thinking about booking first.

HTH!

James

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

After our venue we booked the band, photographer and registrar next as these were the key things we wanted and knew exactly who we wanted for it so didn't want them to get booked up fast, I was surprised at how far advanced things can get booked. I then chose a florist, a lot of what I booked next such as hairdresser, make up artists etc came from recommendations from our venue and photographer as they had worked with them before.

i would make a list of things you need and then look at what is the most important to you both and try and get them sorted first. I also found colours to be one of my hardest things, I still have no idea what they will be I've decided to wait til I do my bridesmaid dress shopping and then see what colours compliment them best and go from there.

Enjoy looking for your venue, that was one of my most favourite parts of wedding planning Smiley smile

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

We have been a bit in the middle - set structure but gone with the flow as to when it's been booked.

We booked our venue March 2012 and we're getting married July 2014.

We're having both ceremony and reception at the same place and price includes a DJ so didn't have to worry about that.

I booked the registrar at the same time.

The next thing we booked was photographer, bought my wedding dress, booked suit hire, booked videographer and booked ice cream trike.

Next up on my list is string quartet, florist and cake!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics