Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

septemberbride2011
Beginner August 2011

What do men wear to a wedding abroad?

septemberbride2011, 6 March, 2011 at 23:30 Posted on Planning 0 6

I was thinking along the lines of a beige linen suit but can't find anything! Any ideas are greatly appreciated x

6 replies

Latest activity by septemberbride2011, 8 March, 2011 at 11:22
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the country & the weather. Linen or natural fibres are best for hot, humid weather. Something casual & light if its on an actual beach. Friends got married in Fiji & he wore a tradition, local mans skirt. Not sure what its called, but looks like a long, sarong for men. (I dont know why he wore it, but maybe he couldnt find a beige linen suit?)

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Bali and OH will be wearing a white linen shirt and some beige-y linen trousers. I wanted him to have one of the beige suits (a la Man From DelMonte ? ) but he refused.

If it helps any, I've spent hours looking at the photos on my wedding planners website and facebook pages and the men seem to wear pretty much anything they fancy. There's some in beige combat style long 'shorts' and linen shirts (VERY cool - OH just hasn't got the legs to carry it off!?), some wearing beige suits, some in shirts and trousers and there's even some (more than I expected) in the dark coloured lounge suits - it seems to be fairly much a case of they wear whatever they'll feel comfortable in.

One thing to consider though - it might be worth checking out if there's any legal restictions on what you and your OH can wear. According to our planners, in Bali the groom must wear a long sleeved shirt and the bride cannot wear anything that shows off her midriff (so that ruled out a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding style dress for me then!? )

HTH

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Mine wanted to wear a proper suit, but we were getting married at 6.30 so it was cooler. Did make sure we spoke to the people who we bought the suit off to get suggestions on material and stuff though....

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I have had a few Brides married abroad & it all varied:

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas :-) we were thinking along the lines of a beige linen suit with a white cotton shirt (he wants to roll his sleeves up rather than a short sleeved shirt) can't see anything in the shops at the moment but hoping we should find something when the summer stock comes in. We were going to suggest to the men to wear beige trousers and a white short sleeved shirt, we're getting married at 6pm and want everyone to be cool and comfortable x

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jelly - that would be great, we're thinking of going down the beige linen route... x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics