Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What do you think of "replica" china dresses?

23 November, 2010 at 19:31

Posted on Planning 94

The girls (and guys) at my work were having quite a heated debate today when I mentioned the topic of brides getting "replica" dresses from China made. There was almost a clear split between people thinking it was an acceptable way to save money and the others who thought that "rip off" dresses were...

The girls (and guys) at my work were having quite a heated debate today when I mentioned the topic of brides getting "replica" dresses from China made.

There was almost a clear split between people thinking it was an acceptable way to save money and the others who thought that "rip off" dresses were awful and effectively stealing from the original designers.

I'm not sure what I think to be honest but I've heard some terrible stories of brides sending pics and getting cheap, ill fitting dresses and effectively wasting their money.

I don't mean to be controversial but what are your thoughts on it?

94 replies

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

They are really bad copies and if my dress turned out like that i'd send it back!!!

Luckily my dress is extremly well made, there's internal boning and a internal bra. There's 6 layers to the skirt including a petticoat. The beading is very good too.

I'll try and take some pictures of the details and the inside so you can all see. ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well... If ever there was a time to treat myself it would be for the honeymoon.......... Smiley smile

Will see what MrL says when we are in the outlet store in Bicester in a few weeks.. hehe

• LollyB
    Beginner September 2010
    LollyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's where I'm from and where I got married!!! ....Random post of the day...sorry!!! As an aside....I hate Bl**dy Bicester village!!! Causes no end of traffic problems for us locals!!!! (told you it was a random post!!) ?

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies,

I make wedding gowns and they are as good as any you will find in the high street shops; boning, padding and corsetry is of the best quality. I agree that it may be a bit scary to order dresses from overseas as you never really know what you will be presented with. We are based in Milton Keynes and have a showroom where you can see the sample and quality of our work and you have the peace of mind of knowing that we are comparably just around the corner. Best of all, our prices are just as good as the overseas ones...

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Hi starstruck,

We have used only our own photos on any listings on the Hitched website. All the pictures you can see here are pictures of dresses we have made. Also, on the website we haev pictures to guide people as to what style of dress they will like to wear. Not once have we claimed to make the dresses the models are wearing but we also have an album showing our own collection. I think it really is a bit viscious to attack us this way. We are not breaking any law because we have a disclaimer on the website and we have done our research to back this up. I have never and will never attack anyone else's business in the way that you have.

We are a respectable UK business and we have never had a client complain about our services or any of our products. We have only ever had very positive reviews.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

*Puts on lawyer hat*

Starstruck is right on the IP point, estilo.

*Takes of lawyer hat*

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I was very taken with a chinese wedding dress so I ordered a red dress for a Christmas Ball from the same manufacturer as a trial run. It arrived yesterday. Yes it looks ok but are little things that I don't think I would accept if I was actually going to wear this dress for my wedding. It was meant to be a lace up but it actually has a zip back. At the top of the zip is a hook & eye fastening - the hook is there but no eye. The biggest issue is on the front where the bodice joins the skirt. Where it dips down over my tummy which is presumably meant to give it shape the dip is very much off central - the lowest point is somewhere between my left hip & belly button! It is fine for a ball & I will wear it but if I had bought it for my wedding I would be extremely disappointed as it doesn't have the 'wow' factor for me. I have now ordered a Maggie Sottero sample which wasn't the cheapest but is just about affordable & really does make me think WOW!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Ummm...going back to Estil's website........ im confused. You said you made gowns and yet your website says

Rates & Services

We offer an individual specific service where you either choose a dress from our gallery or show us a dress that you have fallen in love with.

We then go to our inexhaustible resources to get this dress for you at a cost that will be nothing short of a miracle compared to regular costs.

The cost of each dress is dependent on the style, fabric and specific measurements of our brides.

so you dont make them then, you source dresses made elsewhere, your 'inexhaustible resources'???? China?

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

We expressly respect everyone's opinios on this thread and it is interesting to see the amount of interest getting a choice wedding dress at a cost that is suitable to you can generate. It just shows how important an issue this is. Our mission is to help the average bride out there feel like a million pounds without necessarily spending the bulk of her budget on only her dress. We all have to admit that not everyone has thousands of pounds to spend on a wedding dress but is it fair that they should have to settle for less than they will really like?

We will not in any way defend any other companies that make wedding dresses but in Estilo Moda, we work closely with brides to create the dress of their dreams and all the reviews we have received so far have been fantastic. We are based in the UK (Milton Keynes) and most of our brides come down to the shop to discuss their requirements, place orders and to fit their dresses and discuss any alterations which we do for free. We do not provide a blind service or low quality products in spite of the affordable costs of our products.

The pictures of other dresses on the website are to help brides have an idea of the styles out there to guide them when they are choosing what they will like us to make for them. We do not rely heavily on these pictures as we design many dresses from scratch based on the requirements and unique choices of our clients and utilising sketches created with the bride's input.

We always go to any length to ensure that the fabric, embellishments and any other materials needed for a dress are correctly sourced in order to produce an optimal product and this is what we refer to as inexhaustible resources.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh, so perhaps that sentence should read that you use ''inexhaustible resouces to MAKE your dress'' as opposed to GET your dress??? it reads in a misleading way, that is all.

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks teeheeyoucrazyguys! That's a good point which will be taken into account when reviewing the website. My client who recommended joining hitched said the ladies are very honest and straightforward. We sincerely appreciate your suggestion.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Personally to me, a large part of the whole wedding experience was going into a dress shop (or 10) and trying on so many dresses until one grabbed my heart and I knew I wanted to wear that amazing dress for the one most important day of my life, whether that dress cost £100 or £1000.

Granted, I didn't have to worry about the cost and i fully appreciate not everyone is in that situation. However, I never considered buying from anywhere else than a bridal shop. Horses for courses but replica dresses weren't something for me. My friend who is getting married a couple of months before me told me she has had her dress made by that chinese lady in Birmingham some people here have mentioned, and that it only cost her £35!!

As long as she is happy with that and feels amazing in it, then I am pleased for her, but I can't help worry that shouldn't the material for a wedding dress at least cost more than that?!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics