Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner December 2013

What do you think of this as a reading?

Gladys78, 27 of June of 2013 at 10:17 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello

I have been lurking around for a while now but haven’t posted very much yet. We're getting married in December and are trying to decide on the readings. I've found this which we both like but I'm not sure if it's suitable as a reading and also I think it may be a bit too long? What do you think?

''A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous “yes.”

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

“Now,” said the professor as the laughter subsided, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things–your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favourite passions–and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else–the small stuff. “If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued, “there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

“Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first–the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. “I’m glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a few beers with a friend.”

10 replies

Latest activity by Gladys78, 27 of June of 2013 at 13:16
  • Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

It wouldn't be something I would choose for a reading personally, but I do like it. It could be nice for someone doing their speech...

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I love this as one of those emails you get from someone to perk you up or make you think about stuff. Personally, I wouldn't have it as a reading but that's just me!

• G
    Beginner December 2013
    Gladys78 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I think OH likes it more because it has a reference to golf!! We'll keep looking. ?

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I read this reading years ago and it stuck with me all this time. I would never have thought about using it for a wedding reading as it is a bit different BUT a totally fab idea (damn...we've already given our readings to the registrar and venue!) x

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, if you like it and it means something to you, go for it! We had a reading that we really liked because it had a few lines referring to being apart (we did long distance for a while & struggled) yet we had others tell us both before and after the wedding that it was naff but we still went with it anyway!

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    cerysrichards ·
    • Hide content

We are having the following:

Today is a day you will always remember
    The greatest in anyone’s life
    You’ll start off the day just two people in love
    And end it as Husband and Wife

It’s a brand new beginning the start of a journey
    With moments to cherish and treasure
    And although there’ll be time when you both disagree
    These will surely be outweighed by pleasure

You’ll have heard many words of advice in the past
    When the secrets of marriage were spoken
    But you know that the answers lie hidden inside
    Where the bond of true love lies unbroken

So live happy forever as lovers and friends
    It’s the dawn of a new life for you
    As you stand there together with love in your eyes
    From the moment you whisper ‘I do’

And with luck, all your hopes, and your dreams can be real
    May success find its way to your hearts
    Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys
    But today is the day it all starts.

Marriage Fulfills the Dreams and Love Two People Share
    By Glenda Wilm

Everyone searches for one special person
    They can share their lives with.
    The other half who makes them whole,
    Like two notes blending together to make a beautiful song,
    Or the colours that complement
    Each other to form a rainbow.
    It is everyone’s wish to have a lifetime of sunny days,
    A rainbow after every storm;
    A lifetime of loving and living and growing and giving,
    Of sharing and caring; a lifetime of days together,
    Learning from the bad times and cherishing the good times.
    Marriage is everything your heart desires
    And the strength, courage and determination to work for it.
    In marriage you take care of each other’s heart
    And hold on to what you share.
    You hold it gently so it doesn’t smother
    And firmly so it doesn’t slip away.
    Hold it so that it can grow
    And you can grow together
    And live and laugh and love together always.

The Beauty of Love - OOS

The question is asked: “Is there anything more beautiful in life than a young couple clasping hands and pure hearts in the path of marriage? Can there be anything more beautiful than young love?” And the answer is given: “Yes, there is a more beautiful thing.

"It is the spectacle of an old man and an old woman finishing their journey together on that path. Their hands are gnarled but still clasped; their faces are seamed but still radiant; their hearts are physically bowed and tired but still strong with love and devotion. Yes, there is a more beautiful thing than young love. Old love.”

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

I think it's nice - have heard it read at a few weddings before. If you like it, go for it ?

• G
    Beginner December 2013
    Gladys78 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. We've only really just started looking properly so will keep it in the maybe pile.

Cerysrichards we've also chosen your first reading - I think it's called on your wedding day. I love it! ?

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I have the wedding day reading too - I think nearly EVERY civil wedding does haha x

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

I quite like it. We're having love is like owning a dog, which is not very traditional either (I hope!)

• G
    Beginner December 2013
    Gladys78 ·
    • Hide content

MrsLong - Love is like owning a dog is just lovely. It's the kind of thing we are looking for, meaningful but with a bit of humour.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics