Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

What does Belm mean?

emmaloo166, 2 of July of 2008 at 13:21

Posted on Off Topic Posts 43

I have seen it in another thread and realised I have no idea what it means. Please can some one tell me. Thank you

I have seen it in another thread and realised I have no idea what it means.

Please can some one tell me.

Thank you

43 replies

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

PMSL at SophieM's joke. Naughty girl!

I'm quite uncomfortable about <belm> on here/real life because I know too many people with CP (spastic CP or otherwise) but I think the term has metamorphised into "doh! Stupid!" rather than "you've got no control of your limbs" and I'd take it that way.

The whole Joey thing bypassed me as a child too despite watching Blue Peter.

Knownowt, I think of Deacon Brodie when I hear either of those names for new babies, and wonder why you'd name your child after such a notorious criminal ?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/famous/blfamdeacon.htm

• Cedar
    Cedar ·
    • Hide content

We spent many a happy hour at primary school running around doing Joey Deacon impressions. It was years until I work out what flid stood for though.

I do still hear kids use both so the insult lives on even though people don't know why. I suppose in much the same way as most people will have no idea who Fanny Adams was but will use the phrase 'sweet Fanny Adams'.

I think that Blue Peter thought they were raising awareness of a disability but unfortunately we just found a new insult.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

I remember the Joey Deacon jokes, but I thought he was the one armed drummer in Def Loepard ? I didn't know he was in Blue Peter ?

I have a friend called Spaz. Well, her name is Hannah, but she has always been known as Spaz. We say Spaz in public too, but never connected it to Spastic. Well, I didn't!!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh Sparks. You make it so hard not to make Un-PC jokes at your expense ?

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

Sparks we used to sing a song at someone called Hannah "Hannh the spanner she had a rubber bum, she picked it she licked it...." No idea where it orginated from.

My mum always used to shout at us as kids "I'm not your Joey" as in she wasn't our slave and she wasn't going to pick up after us.

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content

I always thought it was blem rather not belm. I've been sitting here reading the thread trying them both out and now I'm just confused. Luckily I'm working at home and not in an office, so I can mutter to myself as much as I like

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Maybe I should just <belm> myself ?

• SJesus13
    Beginner July 2003
    SJesus13 ·
    • Hide content

Wahhh! Thanks Nick, for sending me a link to this thread.

I particularly enjoy the word "spaztard", which combines both spastic and retard, thus ensuring maximum unPCness, and two insults for the price of one.

• princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

"durrrrrr- Joey!" was the insult of choice throughout my primary days. My friend and I still [belm] each other when appropriate. She's now a senior manager for a very pc organisation indeed ?

I called Mr Layabout a "spazztard" the other week. It was the first word that came to mind.

? @ Sophie's joke. But someone on BT referred to someone having a tantrum as "throwing a flid" (or somesuch) the other day and it did make me wince.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics