Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2011

What does the groom get the bride?!

arnold2b, 20 of March of 2011 at 11:09 Posted on Planning 0 30

My fiance keeps asking me what i want, i have no idea. I'd like a set of expensive jewellery to wear on the day, but dont know if i would every wear it again so is it worth it? i'd love a digital camera, but is it 'special enough'?! I just dont know and he hasnt got a clue what to get me. I am getting a watch, as he has said for 2 years thats what he wants, and its a keepsake and can be engraved.

What have you been given/going to get/bride friend have?

Thanks!

30 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 19 of March of 2017 at 20:37
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We're stuck in a similar position but have agreed that cost isn't relevant - it'll be just as special if we spend £20 on each other as i would be if we spent £200 or more.

Ultimately it should be what you want, and if you want a digital camera and it'll remind you of your wedding every time you use it, then surely that makes it a special item, far more than an expensive bit of jewelery that you never wear again?

Ok there is the "surprise" element but then again, I'd much rather have something I wanted or would use than, say, cufflinks I'd never wear?

Surely thoughyour biggest gifts are you to your partner, and nothing can outshine that?

• K
    Beginner
    Kel:-) ·
    • Hide content

We have spoken about it but no decisions made yet, I'm getting him a watch that he can keep, but I'll get that for him next year. On the day I was thinking of getting him some nice cufflinks. What about a pair of earrings that you can keep?

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I have given my OH a few options as he was stuck too! Most of it is jewellery. I like the idea of a locket that i'll be able to keep a photo of us on our wedding day in and then later a photo of our children together. Also thought about a charm bracelet so that every anniversary he can buy a charm for it. My BIL bought my sister her wedding day jewellery and she has worn them again a few times to dinner/dances with their work, and to other weddings.

If you want a camera, why not get him to buy that?

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Is it the norm to buy each other presents?!

Isn't paying thousands for a wedding to celebrate your marriage enough?

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

We didnt get each other anything. We talked about it but just couldn't justify spending money on each other when we were spending so much on the day itself. Instead we agreed that we would put extra money into the honeymoon and would get each other something while we were on it.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

I agree, i definately think the marriage is enough of a gift! But it seems the present giving is important to him and i know he will be dissapointed if he didnt get a watch, and i think he feels buying me a present is important too. If he hadnt suggested the present giving i would just have given him cufflinks, some champagne, groom socks, gifts for the morning really.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

If it's important to him then do it. I think often the men feel left out and unlistened to so do it. As for a camera not being special enough I dont think thats the case. If thats what you want then ask for it you will use it in the future and on the honeymoon (if youa re goign on one).

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't going to talk to him about it. If I get him a present I want it to be a surprise, I am also sure that he won't think to get me anything. He is not the sort of person who would think about what may or may not be the done thing. Also, I am still not convinced that bride and groom buying presents for each other is the done thing...

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I got a diamond solitaire necklace which matched my engagement ring and diamond soliatire earrings my H had given me as a previous present. I didn't wear the necklace on the day as I already had jewellery which he knew about. I love all my diamond jewellery!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I'll be getting anything although I'd love a camera too. I wanna snap away on our honeymoon! I've decided to buy him a bottle of 18yr Jamesons whisky, he goes on about it all the time so I'm gonna treat him

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

He did ask me the other day, I have asked for a plain silver/ white gold bracelet, same symbol as the wedding ring, and wont date.

Have bought him a port decanter, and a personalised ' Love Is' book.( the cartoon one, ever so cute)

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I keep dropping hints to OH that it's tradition for the groom to give the bride a present but to be honest, he's been so generous so far letting me get an ER and WR that are so much more expensive than I ever wanted to be spending, and my dresses were more than I originally wanted to spend too - so far he hasn't said no to me on anything, and we're now saving £2 coins into a gorgeous wedding fund pot we got as an engagement present - this is going to be our treat money for our honeymoon and I think we'll just use this to make sure we both get something amazing that we want - we're eloping to get married so I want us both to actually buy something on the day that we'll always remember it by - nothing too fancy but I don't think many couples get a chance to actually go shopping on their wedding day!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I've bought my OH a watch and I'd really really like some diamond earrings!! It's my 30th a few weeks before so I'm going to suggest a joint birthday / wedding gift!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

My H2B never ever buys me surprise presents as we have different tastes and to put it bluntly, he always gets it wrong. ? When he asked me what I wanted for a wedding gift, I asked for a Nintendo DSi XL...

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticRedHair728 ·
    • Hide content

I gave my husband a boudoir album and he gave me a sketch of my wedding dress. They both turned out so good and we both loved them, so it was a hit.

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticRedHair728 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh...I just saw that this post was from 2011! So sorry I didn't even notice!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about it RomanticRedHair728! It's as relevant a question today as it was back in 2011!

My thoughts have only recently turned to what to buy my bride - I think it'll be something down the jewellery route. She's buying Tiffany necklaces for the BM so I may follow suit for her.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is what to buy my groomsmen - for four of them, I am going to get them a fully-loaded Dopp bag (posh name for a toiletry bag!) as I know they'll get used. Not sure on the two juniors (I say juniors, they're 19 and 21) plus something extra for the best man.... suggestions appreciated! Smiley smile

Mr_P

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I had no idea you were supposed to get each other something! Isn't it enough just to have found one another and be marrying each other?!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

We're booking a tattoo session and designing them together, I have a tattoo of important dates to me, dates that have made me who I am, for better or worse, the wedding date will be added to it if course.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it is enough, we had already decided on commemorative tattoos many years ago, tradition is not something I follow. I believe it all goes back to when the groom paid the bride's family and the bride had a dowry or something like that, I wouldn't worry about it. You can choose to do it or not to do it as with everything else. :-)

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I'm very sentimental, I'm buying OH a watch, and I think he's buying me a bracelet. I'm wearing my Gran's locket on my wedding day, my Granddad bought it for their wedding day and it's so special I get to wear it on mine (and for them to see me wearing it God willing). I hope to pass it on to the next generation too.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to buy each other anything if you don't want to - there are no rules. We've agreed that we would like to, not because we need anything, but for the sentimental factor. There's something a bit special about the idea of showing your children and grandchildren something that your husband bought for you on your wedding day. It doesn't even need to cost anything - just something that has meaning for the two of you. Just a little note or message, even. But then I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say Smiley smile
    x

• L
    Beginner November 2017
    LuxuriousPurpleCakes715 ·
    • Hide content

We weren't going to get each other anything but I've recently seen a Royal Signals pocket watch. My fiancé and his dad were both in the Royal Signals so I know it would really mean a lot to him so now I think I'm going to get them one each and have my OHs engraved with the date and a quote Smiley smile also seen some lovely stands to display it on!

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely! Something that really means something Smiley smile

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I bought OH a lovely watch for Valentines Day that he can wear on the wedding day - it matches his suit! So I think I will buy him a nice tie pin which I'll get engraved, & I'm going to put together a little box of other bits for him to open on the day (his fave choc bar, hip flask & that sort of thing).

I have dropped a few hints about a nice watch I've seen that will match my engagement ring more than my current one! Nothing overly extravagant but a nice keepsake for years to come. We've spent a lot on the wedding so I'm not expecting or wanting him to shell out for any jewellery or anything, as I've bought a set to wear on the day already.

• Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

Jewellery is a classic timeless gift for the bride. I love the idea of a locket where you can carry a photograph from your wedding day with you.

If you wanted to go for a more affordable option, a pretty keepsake box for your wedding memorabilia or some personalised artwork for your home might be a nice idea.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to get him something to keep so I got him a vintage camera as he collect them and I also made him up a box of goodies.

He knew about the camera as I wanted to get the right one, so he wanted to get me something I hinted (said) I would like jewellery or perfume but he wanted to get something silly and fun so he got me a loot crate subscription (you get a box of random geeky tshirt and toys each month). It isn't the most romantic gift but it's 8 moths later and I still get my monthly gift which is lovely.

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

My personal opinion is that I don't see the point of wedding gifts for each other, especially when it's jewellery - surely your wedding rings are basically that, a gift to each other to celebrate and mark your marriage? He can give me other jewellery for other special occasions.

• B
    Beginner May 2018
    BlossomKatie1993 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, my friend got married last year and her fiance done her a 'night before the wedding' box. It was such a good touch! It included bride to be pyjamas, a lush bath bomb, pick and mix of her favourite sweets and a really cute personalised story book about their relationship. The gift was so meaningful and perfect! I want one and ive been hinting haha x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The main issue I see from being with the bride in the morning when she opens the present is that if it is jewellery she is conflicted as to what to do because she has carefully planned the jewellery to match the dress and the bridesmaids jewellery ( which she may of given to them in the morning as a gift ) so the the groom sends her a piece of jewellery but the problem is it totally does not go with the rest of it that she plans to wear ---- but will her groom be expecting to see her wearing it at the alter ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics