Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BumbleBrat

What DON'T you like at weddings?

BumbleBrat, 9 of February of 2011 at 14:27

Posted on Planning 307

We have lots of flashes of stuff we love and the like.. So what things would you hate at your wedding?

We have lots of flashes of stuff we love and the like..

So what things would you hate at your wedding?

307 replies

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've had this debate before I am sure! ?

Before I met my OH I wasn't keen on men in uniform, I still think it's going to be uncomfortable for him, but it's important to him so I've kinda got to go with it...

My Mom huffed - "Well, it's difficult to match colours too, your going to have to chance the colour scheme, can he just NOT WEAR IT?!" My OH was not impressed - he takes his uniform very seriously! ?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

This is a brilliant thread!!! I'd be amazed if there are any of us who don't have at least one of these things in our wedding and have read through it all going 'well, maybe it's rubbish most of the time, but at MY wedding it'll just be perfect' lol

My list can only really combine bits from other people's, you've all covered so much

- back fat, arm fat, strap marks, too much boobage on the bride - never mind that nobody else has told them, why can't you see it for yourself!!!!

- too much cleavage out from anyone there really - my wedding is not an excuse for you to flash people, have some decency

- rubbish food - but this is more from disappointment for the B&G - I know they'll have paid a fortune and if it's naff then it's a real shame

- the fact that everything costs twice as much when you mention the word 'wedding' - don't exploit my happiness and excitement you sneaky suppliers!

- children at weddings - I don't like being around children in general, nevermind on my wedding day

- wasting money just because that's what you're 'supposed' to have at a wedding - my wedding, my money, who cares what the magazines tell me

- guest list family politics!!! - isn't the planning bit supposed to be fun, why do I have to consider the feelings of long lost great aunties and uncles who probably haven't heard anything about me since I was in nappies!!

Can't wait to see what else people come up with, this has really perked up my morning!!

x

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Pointy satin shoes. Especially the ones that are pointy but square at the end if you know what I mean?

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Two things I hate.

1. Any parts cheap / tacky / chavvy. Having a small budget does not mean you have go with cheap and tacky. You just need to be more creative.

Its just laziness to go with the tacky option.

2. Which brings me onto 2, which is anything overly commercial. Its like going with something because you are told to, usually buy a salesman, not a designer. Again be creative, do what you want. Make the wedding your own. Don't do something because its expected and commercial. Do it just because you want it.

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Matching dated champagne flutes for B&G

Whie suits, Brown suits or shiny suits.

Sweet buffet

Fruit cake - never have been a fan

101 bridesmaids

page boys - especially when dressed in peddle pushers - poor little mites!

And a couple of things already mentioned

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

People who slim down loads for their wedding and put it straight back on because they've got nothing left to aim at.

Short civil ceremonies - it's a most important contract you'll ever enter into. Enjoy it!

People on multiple marriages - marriage number 4? Maybe marriage isn't right for you... Sorry.

Soap given as a favour.

Jam given as a favour. It won't fit in my clutch bag!

Guests not singing in church.

People who giggle throughout their vows - without stopping.

Vows you can't hear.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dunno? I am going to a wedding this yyear - 12th August... When's yours?

?

Seriously though - just becasue I don't like them for my wedding, I'd never go to a wedding where someone had them and turn my nose up. I'd accept if for the day it was and TBH - most of the little things are lost on guests (hence why I dind't bother with most things).

Havnig them or not having them doesn't make my wedding any better than yours or vice versa ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I would either - except maybe the bathroom thing.

But that's more of a basic human right that a dislike of something the bride and groom have provided. OHs in the army - his mess room is so plush, they I use the bathroom and they seriously are minging, puts me right off! ☹️

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Cricket Bride on the favours that are too large for your bag. I like to keep my favours, so if they don't fit in my bag, they're staying on the table.

Also agree with an earlier post about gift lists in evening invitations. You're not willing to pay for me to be there in the day, so why should you expect me to pay for a present for you? (Of course, I always will give something, but that's not the point).

On a similar note, being invited on a hen weekend when you're only an evening guest. Again, you're not willing to pay for me to be there in the day, so why should I spend £200 on a weekend away with you?

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have had problems because we have not specified anything gift wise in the evening invitations (moving to the Middle East after the wedding so suggested honeymoon contributions to day guests). Every one of our evening guests have called/text/emailed asking what to get us and I feel so so awkward saying honeymoon contributions! I would rather say nothing at all just your attendance, but then we will end up with gifts that we have to either leave at my parents or put in storage! Starting to wish we had added the honeymoon contributions in the evening invitation now ?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't get this one either.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to disagree with this in some cases - i.e at my wedding, I am limited by my venue for the number of day guests I can invite. so the majority of our friends are invited for the evening only. We're not having a wedding breakfast so its nothing to do with not wanting to pay for people to be there in the day. I will be inviting those friends who are evening invites only to my hen because theyre still my friends and I expect them to understand that I am VERY limited on numbers for the ceremony....not that I dont care about them enough to pay anything out for them!!! In actual fact it wouldnt cost any different for me to have 20 guests or the maximum 65....so i think thats a bit of a harsh statement.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I disagree too - I can only have 36 people (Inc bride, groom and photographers!!) to my ceremony, I'd have many more people if I could.. Hence having my 'wedding breakfast' at the evening reception for everybody.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

How can anyone dislike weddings that aren't in a church? What's the alternative for the godless among us?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I'm not taking it personally at all. I'm quite happy with how I'm doing things. Just wanted to make the point that things arent always as they seem.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

Agree - never understood the people who just say the fewest words possible. Why?! Do you not really want to do it?

Also couples who can't make eye contact during their vows - stop looking round the room, at your kids etc and concentrate on each other!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Lol, I have people coming to my hen who are not even invited to the wedding at all!!! Then again, I have been on quite a few hen parties where I've not been invited to the wedding.

Also about the church, I like churches as venues, a lot of them are beautiful but I would feel the whole thing would be a farce, swearing to a God I don't believe in. Just seems a bit ridiculous!? You wouldn't have a naturist wedding if you weren't a naturist, so why have a Christian wedding if you are not a Christian?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree about the church thing - I'd feel like a complete hypocrite if I got married in a church just because I wanted my photos to look great. I was at a friend's wedding a few year's ago and the service was so much more meaningful because they're both very involved with their church, I realised during their service that I couldn't have mine in a church because although I was raised Catholic, I don't ever go to church so it would feel a bit cheeky. Also, my OH is CofE so we'd then have to decide whose faith is more important even though neither of us go to church lol

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I've thought of another.. Those horrid drawstring satin bridal bags! Ewwww!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just thinking of them with all this talk of bags on the forum. I've never seen one that I think looks suitable for a grown woman to be carrying. Can be cute on flower girls though.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now that I really don't understand. If they aren't close enough friends to be invited to your wedding, why would you want them on your hen do?

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Strap marks on bride or bridesmaid if wearing strapless dresses!

i have (jokingly) forbidden my BMs from wearing anything strappy during the summer ?. At my cousin-in-law's wedding last year, the bride and BMs all had strap marks and it was all you could see IYKWIM

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

If it was a close friend then I'd be annoyed if I hadn't been invited to the wedding probably, but my OH is inviting a couple of blokes to his stag that aren't coming to the wedding - he met them in South Africa when him and his BM were there for the World Cup, they spent 3 weeks together having a great time and he wants to have another day of lads fun with them I think. He never even suggested inviting them to the wedding though, and I don't think they'll think anything of it either.

Sorry to keep on going o/t!

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree about the church, I would of loved to be getting married in a church cause they are just the most beautiful buildings every, but yeah I don't believe in getting married in one if your not religious, it's kinda taking the piss.

I never used to have an opinion on weddings until i started planning my own, I used to think all things for a wedding were lovely, not now....

Balloons, paper things i.e. napkins & decorations, blowing bubbles, feathers especially big pink ones, lottery tickets as favours(how annoyed would you be if someone won the jackpot, I'd be wanting a share seeing as I bought the ticket), sausage rolls and cheap sandwiches in the evening, big crown like tiaras, sweets in jars, Sugar almonds, MOTB & MOTG wearing flowery frumpy dresses, flower girls that wear an exact copy mini-me brides dress, the groom not wearing underwear under his kilt (other grooms though ?, not a pretty sight when they get lifted at the end by all the guys and you can see what's up there), and ceremony music on a CD......

so much more the list could go on x

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, some of them are friends of friends who I know want to join in on the hen do and others I have gone to their hens so invited them to mine. My hen is gonna be more like an actual party than any hens I have been on before (i.e. hired a private room just for us, in the town I am from and most of the guests are from so no accommodation costs involved), so there is gonna be around 60 people there. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but my attitude is the more the merrier and I'm flattered that people want to come and join in.

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

OK I am just a ***, but I have more.

Strap marks

Fat people in strapless dresses... put it away

Putting food on the table so you have to help yourself

Wine on a table so you have to go and fetch it yourself.

Sweetie buffets

People who say their wedding is so different... and it isn't.

People smoking weed outside (the groom at a wedding I went to)

Outdoor toilets

Ruffled dressed or those ones with tucks in... they look like your dress is tucked in your knickers. Hideous.

Bridesmaids is short dresses when they all have different shoes on.

Bridal shoes. They're all ugly.

Putting the future wife of the best man on the table furtherst from the top table

Sweetheart tables

Round top tables

Fruit cake

Disposable cameras

Videographers

Brides with tattoos on display

Cake as dessert

False nails

Orange people

None matching bridesmaids

Lack of dress code - sorry, some people are just stupid enough to turn up in jeans. I don't want to turn up over dressed. I know no-one agrees with me but some people just don't think and I hate people who come to weddings in casual attire.

None edible favours, purely as a bride, I wouldn't want to put effort in and then no-one take them home.

None matching stationery.

Sugared almonds.

People asking for cash

Post boxes

Festival themes

• sara.jo
    Beginner June 2011
    sara.jo ·
    • Hide content

Women that take their shoes off to dance....Grrrrrrrrr!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Someone always ends up crying don't they? i don't like that.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Wow - you dont like alot!

Glad you lot arent coming to my wedding - I have quite a few of these things lol :-) ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Those hairstyles that look straight out of Strictly Come Dancing - you know, the scraped back over the head with a big fluffy curly lump on the back.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Reading this, I'm actually surprised anyones liked anyones posts/threads previous to this one, how anyones agreed on any suggestions and how friendships have been able to form.....

everyones been a total b!tch LMAOOOOOO!!

thank fVck I'm married now.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think things that are going on in my wedding have been covered here... my wedding will be vintage but I thought of that way before it was trendy ? and we are having a civil ceremony (but we will have a couple of readings),- I am an athiest and my h2b agnostic.

I dislike:

pints of beer at the wedding breakfast (tacky)

when a couple have a very very expensive flashy wedding at an expensive venue and expect their guests to buy their own drinks at inflated prices (if you are so rich why not give your guests drinks?)

beaded wedding dresses, massive tiaras, ill-fitting wedding dresses

fake nails

hummers

rollers

keeping your guests waiting for food (i.e. no canapes but bride and groom spend ages having piccies taken then make you listen to an hour's worth of speeches before you can eat)

kids running around during the service (no it's not "cute")

balloons (anyone else think that they are totally pointless and out of place at a wedding)

bride/groom singing to each other or reading self penned poems (as they are usually cringy, mushy and badly written) ?

doves being released (they symbolise peace, surely better to release after the signing of a treaty not a wedding)

pebble place names

I am sorry but I also hate watching the first dance, I feel like I am intruding on a private moment

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics