Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whose led you to believe that? The previous ones we have had have never descended to catty women telling the op that they are pathetic, or they have a naff wedding or thier marriage is *** or whatever else nonsense was bandied around.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree. I've just scanned the last one and there were zero flounces and zero cattiness.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

It's more than likely nearly every person planning a wedding will have had at least one thing from their wedding mentioned in this, or any previous dislikes thread. It's a topic that is always an entertaining read. What spoils it are the people that get offended way too easily and become needlessly abusive. Why do you care if someone you don't know, who isn't invited to your wedding, disagrees with your choices?! Man up, will you! Take it on the chin and get on with your life. It's obvious some people carried on commenting just to troll and to try to wind up certain OMs and spark a reaction. Ridiculous behaviour from grown women.

• Juliet McKee Photography
    Juliet McKee Photography ·
    • Hide content

Things I don't like at weddings (from a photographers point of view). ?

- Top hats and anything involving tossing them in the air for a shot.

- The groom and his mob picking up the bride tree trunk style - nasty.

- Cutting the cake shot - just boring.

- Shots of the bride made to lay upside down on a cliff top or hillside with dramatic flash effects.

- Having an Ali G impersonator try to help with the group shots...... ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

That's the issue tortoise, these arnt grown women. Jadebythesea is a uni student and shelltoon is a Nebraskan man.....

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in shock !?! Just spent an hour catching up on this thread after posting my dislikes shortly after it started...it has made me feel quite uncomfortable the way people have been attacked on here- people who have given advice and help to me and other members on their upcoming weddings. It was quite clear that this thread was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek , there is always a lot of banter and leg-pulling on here and nobody is contributing in a deliberate attempt to cause offence.The way it works is- you see what the thread is about and then either contribute to it or don't- your choice.

The nature of the internet forums is that people are going to disagree and unfortunately I have noticed this trend of people deliberately trying to cause a row on other sites I use as well- especially during bank holidays/xmas etc...makes you wonder the age of the people making the inflammatory posts? I don't see how a grown adult can seriously get offended just because some total stranger thinks something they like is tacky ? I'm totally confused and feel like I've been beamed up to an alternate Universe !

BTW on the subject of potatoes, I was always rather partial to Marfona, but I havn't seen them in yonks.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha, I know who shelltoon is and she's definitely not a Nebraskan man ? She's normally lovely and not at all like the posts I read today.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, but how does being a uni student mean you're not a grown woman? I really don't care about the whole argument but that is ridiculous.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Her being at uni has no relevance, the fact of the matter is she us clearly a child who changed her username so she wouldn't be traceable...if you are 17 or 70 that makes you a child in my book! Apologise if that came out the wrong way- when I was at uni I would say I wasn't a grown woman with the benefit of age however I would have been mightily pissed off if someone had suggested that too me.

ah balls, I was soooo hoping sheeltoon was the my little pony artist in Nebraska. My image is shattered now- boo

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

They do those sand ceremonies at beach weddings...you have to both pour the sand in a bucket or cup or something...I think :-)

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry I took it the wrong way but it annoys me when uni students get lumped into the same stereotype, & that's how it came across to me. I'll get off my soapbox now though ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

You each have a coloured sand and you pour it at the same time into a container to mix it and symbolise your lives being permanently intertwined or something
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/cultural-traditions/sand-ceremony.htm

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Although if you had to separate the sand out again if you got divorced the possibilities...

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

YoungAndInLove you are definitely not a 'typical' student my dear. Far too mature ,and not at all annoyingly irritating Smiley smile

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure I can be haha ? I wish I was a typical student, it's definitely more fun!

Lmao can just imagine sitting with a sieve or filter paper after divorce trying to separate the sand! I don't mind the idea but can imagine I'd end up pouring it over myself ? (now who's mature ?)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I've been watching a ton of 'My Fair Wedding' recently as it seems to be on wedding tv 6 times a day and Ant has been in Geneva a lot, so... well, anyways, there was a sand ceremony on one and it was grim. I will add it to my list, too.

An American thing I'm starting to come around to, though, is the designer cocktail thing. The couple makes their own signature cocktail for the wedding - my cousin had a dark n stormy float and it was delish. Too bad I have a feeling my venue would charge an arm and a leg for us to have anything like that ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't know what happened with my last post, all big letters and words splitting themselves up :/

You could always pour in water mixed with food colouring and dye all the sand one colour, or just throw it out... ha ha

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I don't actually dislike balloons...I'm just scared of the damn things popping, they make me nervous ! It's a childhood thing

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Signature cocktails- that sounds a plan! Is it supposed to embrace the spirit of you as a couple or some such notion?!

Yail- I wouldn't have put you as a student from what I know of you. I think I imagine students are in the main much like I was at uni- trust me getting married was the last thing on my mind then Smiley smile

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh I was thinking more like rubbing it in Ex's and his new GF's eyes or genitals or somewhere painful...

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

There are a fair few students here myself being one as well x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like your style, lady! Smiley smile

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ouch... Haha.

Thanks Mini, I hated halls haha & hardly ever drink.... Useless student ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You changed your name, missy? It sometimes says Buffy B or something and others YAIL...

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

I always wanted to change it, but didnt know how to until recently and I tried to but I don't think it's worked haha. It's sort of worked but not? BlossomJ I want it, less long winded and cheesy! I checked search as well and there was another member called Blossom but a couple of years ago now, so didnt think we'd get confused.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am the same, hate drinking, hate the social side, hate the debt. It's not you being useless you have got your head on right. Being a student is about gaining a better education not how many shots you can have on a night out before passing out.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

It says BlossomJ when quoting you bizarrely enough...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's odd because before you click into the post it says blossomJ but in the post it says yail?

Email one of the hitched ladies to sort it out tho

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good advice han19, can you make a time machine and whizz back and tell my 18 year old self that please?!!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I shouldn't have bothered, now its just confusing! My name at the top is BlossomJ, then if I go on my profile it's YAIL and all my posts are YAIL. More long winded than just leaving it ☹️

I don't know how people afford it tbh! Me and OH both work (he's FT, I'm PT) and we still never have any money, especially for alcohol! I only have a month to go of being skint.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Try logging out and back in again Blossom. Well done to me for complete messing up remembering your new name though Smiley smile

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You seem to have turned out alright, I wouldn't worry! It's the typical students nowadays you have to watch out for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics