Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ?

I'm gonna do that, and will stop bumping this post as well - I'm sure those with email notifications feel like punching me right now!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also clear your cache / history , then log back in, should work if not email Hitched.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! That was the longest thread ever and took me over an hour to read. It's s good thing Mr Erin is asleep and ill or he might have thought l was neglecting him... I don't understand why people couldn't understand this thread was a bit of fun?

I am really not bothered if people hate the fact l am probably eloping, wearing a strapless dress and l think a sweetie buffet is a good idea for the party when we get home (we both have an addiction to sweets if that any consolation!).Apologies for hating flower girls, fairy carriages and having lots of bridesmaids.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

My word. What an epic.

This thread was very clearly labelled with a self-explanatory and then introduced as being somewhere people could express their personal preferences for fun. 10 pages in it's like a Mary Whitehouse army turns up. I don't like violent gory moves, therefore, I don't go to Blockbuster for a family bag of popcorn and the Saw I-VI box set before sitting at home watching it so that I can then go online attacking the makers because I'm offended. Some people, eh? We've got loads of stuff on the list but was under no illusion that it was a question of our personal taste. Maybe some people opened the thread to read it thinking they had definitely planned a wedding beyond criticism and were expecting just to be able to laugh at other people's ideas, but were surprised that some people didn't share their taste.

On a slightly serious note I just wanted to post a link to some stuff about balloons because helium is a disappearing, non-renewable resource with medical applications.

https://www.thoughtco.com/will-we-run-out-of-helium-3975959

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245743/Helium-balloons-banned-says-scientist.html

https://phys.org/news/2010-08-world-helium-nobel-prize-winner.html

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, tried all that & it's still not worked, might be as I browse on ipad but emailed a moderator anyway so hopefully it gets sorted. I'm so useless aha

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not quite a cocktail, but we invented an ice cream flavour for ours. ?

• N
    Beginner May 2013
    Nandalie ·
    • Hide content

Rock hard Croydon facelift bridal hair dos. With equally rigid ringlet curls.

Shudder.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! I love this post! You are very right, it would almost seem like the attack was meticulously planned in a separate group somewhere isn't it...now lets just think...where could that be?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha love it!!! I'm from Croydon but thankfully I choose not to have my hair like this!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

I wrote a highly amusing response to this thread yesterday. Hitched appears to have eaten it! (The barsteward!) I hate it when that happens!

But I do love mash potato of any kind and I had a rabbit that played fetch! Beat that cat lovers! Ha!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What you sayin'? That's sick.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

p.s. I am amending my list to include a sand ceremony right at the top! WTF? I have never heard of such clap trap.

I too love a maris piper and a king edward and tonight I will be mostly teaching my guinea pigs to fetch.

• mai27
    Beginner June 2016
    mai27 ·
    • Hide content

I think there a big difference between what I wouldn't want at my wedding and what I'd dislike at a wedding as a guest. As a guest the only things I wouldn't like are overly long speeches, bad food and crap dj's, (although if I'm having a good time with good company and plenty to drink these things wouldn't bother me that much either ) the rest of it is just an expression of the bride and grooms personality. It's hardly going to ruin a guests enjoyment of the day if you choose to have a chocolate fountain and they don't like them. I've enjoyed every wedding I've been too even if things weren't to my taste. I don't understand why everyone's so upset by this thread, I don't like balloons but I went to a wedding with them and still had a great day.

The whole point of a forum is to express opinions both good and bad, if we all just agreed with each other and liked the same thing then what would be the point of this place?

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I think the sand ceremony is often used when there are kids to show that they're part of this new family. However it's not for me, just reminds me of going to the Isle of Wight as a kid and filling little glass things with coloured sand. Fun times but not for a wedding!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have two of those on my mantlepiece... ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The last one I did wasn't sealed off properly and went all mouldy. Yuk!

• supersarah86
    Beginner August 2013
    supersarah86 ·
    • Hide content

Top hat and tails, having to queue for food if the person is having a carvery, people arriving in helicopters ... thats about it!

• supersarah86
    Beginner August 2013
    supersarah86 ·
    • Hide content

I agree! each to their own ?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WAAAAAH! You've just reminded me of something else I have to do on my hen weekend!! *gets on blower to chief BM*

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content

There's lots of things I hate about weddings, most of which have already been covered here but my two biggest hates are;

coloured wedding dresses

and

queuing for food. I HATE, HATE, HATE it. It reminds me of being at school which is why I had a served sit down meal.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Tricks I'm so offended. My poor guests had to queue like school children.

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't care. D!ck.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

A lot of mine have been covered but one of my greatest dislikes at my wedding and at others is the receiving line.

Takes too long and I would never be comfortable asking my guests to queue up to congratulate me and tell me how gorgeous I look.*

*Like I needed telling... Smiley winking

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Bitter OM biatch!

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dam right. (Almost) three years of marriage will do that to a girl...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Out of interest, the thread was about what you don't like at weddings and wouldn't have at your own. Not what you would turn up to a wedding and say 'my my friends/ family have made a massive *** up picking that, let's *** about it here.' Your post had made me think the 2014 cheerleaders have taken it from the opposite angle....explains a lot!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I guess the unpopular opinions thread should probably stay on OT!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Especially if they are crap beige buffets.

Lots of other stuff I don't like I'm a bit of a snob really.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I don't like waiting for food full stop but at least when I am sat down the wine is near to hand- I can't carry my wine and a massive plate of food at the same time!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It would seem everyone is a bit too emotional and stressed to appreciate a bit of light hearted banter. Apparently.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So true. God I miss wine hmmmmmmm

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

This thread has been locked due to the number of inappropriate comments taking this thread off topic

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics