Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 569

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

569 replies

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure there are loads but I can't think of many! I hate:

Balloons

Too much formality

Wedding dresses that are OTT or trying too hard to be *sexy*

Anyone with orange skin

Foil confetti on the tables

Fruit cake

Overly done, traditional wedding cakes

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

Each to their own and I am in agreement on some of these however - when you say you don't like pay bars do you realise how much it would cost (on top of the rest of the wedding costs) to provide a free bar for everyone?

I think even if I could afford a free bar I would definitely not waste my money on it especially as people abuse them. People are there to share your day with you I don't see why the bride and groom should stump up the cost of drinks for everyone. We are providing one drink each after ceremony, half a bottle of wine per person with dinner and one toasting drink then everyone can buy their own drinks. These days there are far more important things for couples to use their money on like mortgage etc

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That just makes it even better, who wouldn't want pigeons at their wedding?...to be honest I think it's cruel to keep them in a cage until you decide to lob them through the air haha x

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

... I maybe guilty of this one .... Though not by choice! The groom is pushing this one! (and MOB)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

...yes, I do realise, as we are providing this, so I know all too well. I'm not saying weddings with pay bars are bad weddings, I've been to several and still had fun, but most weddings I've been to were open bar. We all know how much it costs - we're on a wedding forum and we've probably all weighed the cost in our heads. For me, I want to provide everything for my guests rather than spend that money on dove releases and chair covers and a dry wedding cake people won't enjoy.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Oh and I love purple .... And teal.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok fair enough. I just don't think not liking a pay bar really fits in with the topic of this thread because for a lot of people it's not a choice.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is supposed to be a fun thread- dont get bogged down with seriousness please.

If you have the funds to pay for all your guests to have a drink good for you. If you dont- not to worry and I am sure your guests wont mind either.

To throw a curve ball on this- what if you dont have a mortgage? We diddnt when we got married?!

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

There's a few I can think of:

Hotel wedding packages- I went to one last year for two very special friends, it included a singer and my poor friend (the bride) looked deafened by him!

Bad wedding food - It can be a read deal breaker

Striking organza sashes on chair covers, in soft colours they can look good, bright/dark on white, not so good

Rock/Techno music, not everyone moshes!

The awkward first dance, even if you don't plan anything big and elaborate, give it a practice or two so you aren't glued to the same spot

Bold colours

Black- suits, dresses, flowers - Just no, it's a wedding

Chocolate/sweet wedding favours - Adults don't really want a little bag full of gummy hearts or Love Hearts, something they can keep is much nicer

Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate - I went to a wedding where we had chocolate gateau for dessert ad a chocolate fountain at the reception with flumps, strawberries etc. You don't want to dance if you feel sick

Out-of-control children - Children are one thing, but don't let them talk through speeches, play peekaboo up the brides dress, run across the floor during the first dance etc

Rude guests - At my friends wedding I overheard someone say that the food was poor. Now yes, it wasn't the best food I've ever had, but I'd never criticise a wedding while I was still AT the wedding! That's just plain rude!

Showy Bride/Groom - H2B amd I watched a first dance video to our song where the groom walked the bride around the floor before they started their dance, what's that all about?!

Too many balloons- a balloon arch here and a small cluster there, fine. But it's impossible to see through a balloon centrepiece that looks like it belongs on 'Up'

Big flowery centrepieces - See above

Bling- Too much sparkle is just off-putting and slightly dazzling

Think that's it for me, sorry if I offend anyone, just my own opinion. I've been fair on both threads and I've committed a fair few of those listed here, too!

MrsStobe13 xx

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Frilly marquee linings

Mirrors placed under tables centres (particularly don't like this)

Chair covers

Plastic crystals

Black and white chequered dance floors

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm guilty of a lot already mentioned (chair covers as the venue's chairs aren't suitable & cheesy dj, sweet buffet, matchy matchy stuff and possibly vintage too :-) but things I'm not so keen on are:

Black bridesmaid dresses

bird cages

coloured wedding dresses (I'm like traditional dresses)

Bad food (not the bride or groom's fault but a lot of venues need to step up their game!)

rude guests - the type that constantly criticises details

bouquet throws (find them a little awkward)

But it's always good that people like things others don't or every wedding would be the same!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Another one I'm gonna add (and chime into)

tails/morning suits - awkward since again the groom wants it. I've 'subtly suggesting' a sleek modern suit but has he's pointed out he doesnt get a say on my dress so neither should get a say on his suit!!

oh oh oh fruit cake, yeah sorry thats for xmas only!!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Receiving lines

Cadburys purple

Hot pink. It's just pink

Everything matchy matchy. No-one will notice if the favours aren't the exact same colour as the buttonholes.

Sugared almonds

Corinthians. Probably read at every wedding I've ever been to.

Cheesy first dances to some terrible ballad.

Those Alfred Angelo wedding dresses with the colours

Animals. Doves, owls flying with the rings, dogs, butterflies.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

"Textbook" weddings where everything is so predictable - from the choice of attire through to the choice of "romantic" ballad for the first dance.

When speeches lack any feeling or genuine-ness (can't think of the word!) and are filled with one-liners from the Internet and said before the meal when everyone is too hungry to listen!

When guests don't dress properly - now we're having a relaxed wedding but it would still kill me if FMIL turned up in white or an outfit best suited for the pub. Or both. She won't. But I have seen this happen at friends' weddings and it looked tragic.

Chair covers.

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

The main thing I would say is speeches, they just make me cringe! Plus I feel sorry for them coz they're often really nervous etc. we'll be avoiding them as much as possible haha Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Chair covers

Sweetie bars

Brides looking like an extra from TOWIE

Balloons

Modern / non classical music (although also have a hatred of Canon in D, and any reference to a classical piece as a "song").

Pretentiousness (look love, you're not a fairy or a princess so stop acting like one)

Beach weddings under plastic arches

Very basic, short ceremonies

Flowergirls (again, they are not fairies or princesses and don't need to act like either)

Fancy dress weddings (refer to pretentiousness above)

Lack of solemnity (i.e. when married by "Elvis")

Photo booths

And generally weddings where you get the feeling that more effort has gone into the theming of the day, handcrafted this that and the other, than into the vows and commitment part.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Short wedding dresses

Magicians

Drunk bride and groom

Favours

Church weddings when the couple aren't religious, this is why I'm not doing it

Children

Photobooths, especially with them stupid props

Although, each to their own and all that Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner May 2013
    Nandalie ·
    • Hide content

Being able to see the brides bra or VPL

People who never set foot in church normally choosing to marry in one (controversial I know Smiley smile )

Chair covers (having these- have to let the groom have his way on something!)

Magicians/ clowns/ balloon artists- they just freak me out

• Samiad
    Beginner April 2014
    Samiad ·
    • Hide content

Love threads like this!

- sweetie buffets

- swirly-patterned waistcoats, short men wearing tails (though to be fair, they're not a great look on anyone)

- speeches before dinner (just want them to get it over with as I'm so hungry)

- no canapes or snacks when bride and groom are having a really long photoshoot

- ugly ceremony rooms

- chicken as a main for wedding breakfast

- overly-complicated bridal hairstyles

- non-religious people getting married in church

- parents who don't take noisy children out during ceremony/speeches

- Canon in D

- first dances where the couple just shuffle from side to side

- cupcakes instead of cake

- children hogging the lawn games...

• Samiad
    Beginner April 2014
    Samiad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I forgot one - page boys freak me out!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Oh I also don't like it when the bride has her cleavage out...I think it's nice to be modest and cover up - save that for later!!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having some of the things people don't like (I'm having pageboys but I couldn't not have them as in immediate family and also very, very cute!)

Anyway, things I'm not keen on:

Miserable bridesmaids/mother of the bride/mother of the groom - put a smile on and stop being a misery guts!

1 or 2 long stemmed flowers instead of a bouquet

Tattoos on show

Unflattering bridesmaids dresses, especially when it looks great on a slimmer girl but another bigger girl is clearly not comfortable

Cupcakes instead of a wedding cake

Too many in jokes in speeches with rest of us not knowing what is going on

Guests who wear white/cream - how rude!

Chair covers

Being split up from my partner during reception and made to sit next to strangers who then proceed to ignore me

Not enough/any food at night do (meaning this as a night only guest), meaning that everyone rushes up to the staff as soon as something is brought out

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Sweetie buffets - but more specifically when people think they're the first person to have ever done one and you have to pretend you've never heard of one.

Balloons

People getting married in Church even though they're not religious, don't attend and just because it's pretty.

Tiaras that actually look like a tiara (or something from Claire's accessories)

But the one which tops my list is:

Poems in invitations asking for money... which unfortunately my MIL and her sister seem to think are really original and amazing and are expecting us to have one.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Out of interest, I'm having a sweetie buffet, mainly to give my night guests extra treats as well as the night food but why don't people like them?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

For me it is just because I've seen so many of them and there are lots of people often thinking they're the one who came up with the idea.

I love pick n mix sweets really and one of my closest friends had a sweetie buffet at her wedding last year which was really popular.

Take everyone's opinions with a pinch of salt, stuff everyone and do what you want, it is your wedding after all! Besides, I'm sure there will be a tonn of things at my wedding people won't like or wouldn't be their choice.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Hotels - even if they look nice, they're still a hotel!

Churches - they're really creepy, have uncomfortable benches and are cold even in the summer - they have super long ceremonies where you have to sing too songs, or maybe I should say mumble songs! Also, you end up hanging around graveyards whilst photos are going on. a) graveyards are just as creepy and b) why would I want photos of guests by gravestones..

Tails - that type of suit. Just looks really weird to me!

Grey suits for the wedding party - I don't know why, they just look 'boring'. Saying that, white suits are just as awful!

Pink - from pale pink to hot pink. I personally hate the colour anyway, but forcing it upon men who you've never seen in pink before just screams 'forced by the bride'...

Balloons - I hate them at any party. They pop, they squeak...and I'm blimmin allergic to them so spend most the time avoiding them like they're a giant spider coming at me!

Butterfly themed items (dresses, decorations, stationary etc) - they're bugs!

Buffetts for the main meal - I hate having to walk round in a long line, plate in hand, and ask for food to be plopped onto the plate! Plus you never know if you're asking for too much to make you look greedy, so I always end up getting too little and moaning that I'm hungry later. Yes that bits my fault - but please please please dont put me in that situation! (If its an evening one, it's fine as you go up when you want too and just pick at it, but for a main meal its a pain..)

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for explaining and I know what you mean. For me I often feel the night guests are neglected and I'm using the sweet buffet as one of the ways to have a few extras for them.

I agree though that we all have things we love that others wouldn't and you've just got do what you want. It's interesting reading what other people secretly think though!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

What's a canon is D?

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? I was outnumber by both my parents, my MOH and my husband on this one! I still cringe at it in the invites! Thankfully as the invite was pocketfold I had other bits in there for the main invite, guest info, rsvp card and envelope and for family only, mum put in an extra invite for guests to go to hers for lunch the following day - so I'm hoping they were really overwhelmed by info to notice the cringyness of it!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's because they are just so popular now, it's nice to be unique but regardless of what anyone else says/thinks I am still having one because it's just me all over. I eat sweets on a daily basis. Everyone knows if they want to buy me something to get me sweets - there's nothing I like more! (apart from cats, maybe...)

I am having a sweet buffet also instead of favours, because I can't stand tacky little boxes with sugared almonds or whatever inside. Most of them get left on the tables anyway! At least guests would take advantage of a sweet buffet, but if they don't all the more for me Smiley tongue

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

My biggest dislike ever is... swirly waistcoats!!!! To me, its just like curtains you get in a hotel or something.

Others are: Cars that resemble something out of Wind in the Willows. Anything fake. Butterfly things. Del-boy DJs. Balloons as decorations. Children in the evening - they just have tantrums because they are bored/tired/its way past their bed time anyway. Parents in the ceremony who don't attend to their runaway/screaming/crying children.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!!! This was me too!!! Gawd! As I put the invites through peoples doors I cringed as I did it. Folk thought it was lovely and a part of me died inside when they acknowledged it;s existence!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics