Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Aaaaaah yes THIS type of coloured dress.

See this would be great for a more military wedding (groom in officer clothes yes please!) See, I'm not a fan of the hard bold colour like this, its too .. striking I suppose. cant put my finger on it. funny since mine is has a similar colour thang going on.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I really dislike the huge hats the mothers wear! No one can see around them!

Also, people being gathered around to watch the first dance - they can stay in their seats

Karaoke - this can be done in the pub on Friday night!

I totally agree with disliking non religious people getting married in church!

Bride's speeches - it's a mans job!

Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

D'accord, dahlink.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

Ooh and men in white/beige suits - no man looks good in light colours!

And men having to wear pink ties/waistcoats

• PinkLady3
    Beginner September 2014
    PinkLady3 ·
    • Hide content

MOB wearing an OTT outfit. I went to a wedding last year where the MOB was wearing a champagne coloured wedding dress...!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't like -

Getting married in church when you never go just so the pictures are nice

dove release ( they freak me out/hate birds)

A lot of fake tan

Brides (or bridesmaids) with cleavage out

balloons

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I 2nd this for one main reason NO man looks good in pink this is my poor dad at his 2nd wedding. Not even my uncle could pull this suit off heavens knows how dads wife expected dad to

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those suits make the men look really short?

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know and my dad isn't the tallest of people only coming in at 5'3 lol

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So, not exactly that the men *look* short then....

Sorry sweetie, too irrestible....

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I understand hun i rip the piss out of him because i'm taller than him >.<

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Balloons of any description

Buffets in place of a sit down wedding breakfast

Grooms wearing trainers/ brides wearing trainers/uggs/DM's

Non matching mens suits. I think it looks scruffy.

The BM, Ushers ties and waistcoats being the same colour as the groom. No- it should be obvious who is getting married.

Coloured wedding dresses.

Ill fitting dresses.

Long Bridesmaids dresses.

Sweetie buffets.

When the welcome drink is anything but champagne/prosecco.

Traditional sticky up tiaras (not side tiaras)

Really OTT things like ice sculptures.. too posh and Becks for me.

Brides/grooms singing to each other.

Any form of animal involvement.

make up on children

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! We had this! H's 90 year old Nan read it in our mass!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! We had Mis matched suits,long bm dresses and a groom in trainers! Horses for courses and all that.

However I had a thought about this. I only know that reading because of hitched. Very few if my friends have had church weddings so in reality the reason I don't like it is hitched.

(of course the fact I am sat in a church with it bring read to me is another factor that's likley to put me in a grump anyway)

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Balloons.

Sugared Almonds.

White/cream/ivory dresses.

Church services.

Confetti.

Cakes covered in flowers.

Matchy matchy groom/ushers.

Karaoke

Long speeches.

Bouquets for the Mothers.

Gift lists

Animal releases.

Dull readings/children doing readings.

Chair covers/sashes.

Horse drawn carriages.

Animals as part of the wedding party

"blinged" shoes. (those with plastic gems super glued on to the heel)

White suits.

Cravats/curtain fabric waistcoats.

I'm sure there are more.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hahah yes! exactly why we are not getting married in a church - much to my grans dismay Smiley smile x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this i actually love - cheap cinderella!xxx

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Dresses made of that cheap satin material

Fascinators, they look silly

Big boobed brides in dresses with no support

Dry chicken for the main course

Getting married in a church because it looks nice

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Boobs on show in a wedding dress.

Weddings that look EXACTLY the same with no personality.

Church ceremonies when you are not religious purely because it makes nice pictures etc.

children making noise during a ceremony.

• Aardvark
    Beginner January 2012
    Aardvark ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we had this too - was read by a 70 year old nun! We only chose it as it was the longest reading and the alternative was to have her do the prayers. The vicar managed to include our favourite lines from our preferred reading into his bit #inlawsdemandstactfullyaccommodated

I hate :

pigeon lobbing

dead insects in boxes

fire lanterns

speeches

welcoming lines

absence of nibbles with welcome drinks (although we didnt have them as couldnt afford them but we did do a free bar!)

paid bars where the drinks are ridiculously overpriced

invitations sent by the children (sorry!)

any form of poem

red wedding dresses

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, I've not watched your wedding video, so I don't know how it worked, but it's not my style. I think Edward Monkton is cool generally, but his style is the "adults writing like children in order to sound cute" thing which is quite pervasive at the moment, and I don't think it fits at a wedding, in my cabbage.

But then I had 1 Corinthians 13 (note not just "Corinthians" because a)the whole epistle is really long and b) I am distinctly less cool with some of the other chapters!) so what do I know? ?

I thought of another thing for my list - having a string quartet/other classical group and having them play just arrangements of pop music all day. There is so much beautiful classical music out there! (except Pachelbel)

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I don't like....

-People getting married in a church because it looks nice

-coloured wedding dresses

- strappy kitten heels with knee length floaty bridesmaid dresses

-guests that wear cream/white

-being split up from the people your close to just to be sat next to someone who won't talk to you anyway

-balloons ( especially arches)

X

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I am pretty sure this is the part we are having- Mini you are off the guest list now Smiley winking

I haven't been to a full wedding as an adult so had no idea how popular some things are- or in fact that some things even existed until hitched and more recently this thread!

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sam12345 ·
    • Hide content

I don't like

- Top hat and tails (sorry to anyone whose OH is having them..mine would look like the mad hatter)!

- Kareoke (completely agree that's for a pub on a Friday night and noone needs to hear my drunk relatives sing)

- Dove/animal releases

And overly opinionated guests (went to a wedding and the grooms gran actually said really loud look at the state of her dress about the bride as she walked down the aisle RUDE)

I like how some people hate what I love it would be boring if we all had the same weddings

• A
    Beginner September 2013
    AmzieM ·
    • Hide content

I loved reading this thread!

me and my partner have gone for a candy barrow which be in the evening - we both love sweets plus to include the evening guests as they going to miss some 'interesting' parts at the ceremony.

my partner has gone for the grey tail suit and the other man have too but he has changed his trousers and colour of his waistcoat to the others. and i am really amazed how good they look (he wanted to do it himself with best man but then wanted my opinion on the final outcome)

- i hate balloons! and fallen out with my mum as she has booked and order balloon arches and big one that goes off with a lot inside over the first dance. (dreading it already - i hate them as well as hate it when they pop by a kid and kid screams!)

- deteste other guests wearing white/cream/ivory. so rude! only the bride should wear that.

- hate the obvious atmposphere of being uncomfrotable and nervous. (my cousin got married a couple of months ago, i went to the evening party and it was so obvious he was uncomfortable and to be fair the bride was too, her parents had planned everything over the top. their first dance was no emotion apart from nerves. i hope me and my partner not like that - reason why ours is a small wedding)

-too many bridesmaids and best men, etc. (what is the point?)

- too many people! (cannot move anywhere and fall over each other - no matter how big the place is - seems to be the couple made sure every bit of space is filled)

- arguments / snarky comments. (been to a couple of wedding where in the evening people have started to argue and then someone as gone and got the bride to sort it out. how selfish! it's meant to be the bride's day of happiness not to remember that she sorted out arguments.) plus i think with my wedding a couple of relatives will make snarky comments, if i dont hear that is fine, but my dad has already told me and my partner if anyone upsets us he will be sorting them out and if it means that they will become a lot more upset so be it but we shouldn't be upset on our special day.

that be it for me :-P

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's the bit which starts with "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love..." and goes onto "Love is patient, love is kind" etc. It's very popular but I still think it's lovely.

I've been to quite a few weddings as an adult but Hitched has opened my eyes a lot to what options there are and the problems other people run into!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Yep that's it and the last line is 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I like it, am know of to Google the Dinosaur one as I haven't heard of that!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's called 'a lovely love story' we had it!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I LIKE this thread! ?

1. Church services- only because they are usually overly long, boring and churches give me the heebie-jeebies.

2. Young children as bridesmaids, flower girls, etc. Everyone is so busy 'aww'-ing over them; the bride doesn't get a look in.

3. Children in general at the ceremony / reception. They get bored, obnoxious, tired and noisy and you have to watch what you say around them which becomes more difficult the more drunk / sweary you become.

4. Sugared almonds.

5. People writing their own vows (*vomits*)

6. People who see the words 'You may kiss the bride' as an excuse to ram their tongues down each other's throats (*vomits again*)

7. Overly emotional / soppy speeches or other such nauseating displays.

8. Crying men.

9. Chair covers (why?!!)

10. Overly tall centrepieces- went to a wedding recently where a 5ft tall glass vase on the table shuddered every time someone moved; looked like it was going to fall and kill everyone

11. No free booze on tables (controversial, but I insisted on free booze for ours)

12. Receiving lines- only cos I hate having ages to try and think of something to say.

13. Pink / lilac / peach colour schemes

14. Shiny, satiny wedding dresses

15. Fat bridemaid forced into a dress which is obviously too small / tight / wrong style and she's not comfortable in (been there myself!)

16. Any unnecessary Americanisms, ie. the groom removing the garter and tapping the glass to make the couple kiss. Hello? I'm EATING!

17. Daddy / daughter dances. Creepy.

18. First dance- always cringey. Especially when people let their kids join in. ESPECIALLY hate when the couple try and do something 'fun' like segue into 'Smack my *** Up' half way through. IT'S BEEN DONE. Or choreographed dances- especially Dirty Dancing. I HATE that film at the best of times!

19. 'Conference room' weddings, where a hotel has hired out a completely inappropriate room and have made no real effort to make it look anything other than a conference suite.

20. Peacocks.

21. That thing people do where they mash wedding cake into each other's faces.

22. Ridiculously OTT bridal party entrances. You're getting spliced, not auditioning for 'A Chorus Line' on Broadway. And THAT Bruno Mars song.

23. Formal weddings.

24. Enforced 'fun' and icebreakers; ie. quizzes at tables.

25. The fact that only kids get activity packs. The last wedding I went to, I asked for a Disney colouring book and they let me have one! ? I coloured in all through the speeches. It was ACE.

26. Crap DJs who only play chart music / R&B.

27. Magicians / toastmasters / singing waiters or any other 'novelty' entertainment.

28. Roast dinners.

29. People saying that the bride looks 'stunning'. Are you lying on the floor, semi-conscious? Then you have not been 'stunned'. Ergo, she does not look 'stunning'. Most overused word at weddings and essentially meaningless and lazy. I have banned the word from our day!

.....and relax! Having said all of this, I would NEVER EVER openly complain / comment at anyone else's wedding, and I never have. I've always been grateful and gracious. It's all stored up for the next day when me and OH will have a good old laugh / bitching session! In fairness, most of the weddings I've been to have avoided most of the above. I'm not expecting everyone to love my day either- I know it won't be everyone else's cup of tea- but I will. And surely that's the most important thing?!

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

I don't like:

animals in any form

chicken dinners (but then it makes me poorly so probably just a personal thing)

cake in faces (but then I also like fruit cake and I'm not sure this works for that!)

cupcakes

anything gimmicky (always nice the first time then it just becomes a bit 'meh'. And I'm afraid I feel this way about the dinosaur reading! I loved it the 1st time I heard it at a friend's wedding but then felt it's specialness was lost the next time I heard it)

nowhere to sit at drinks receptions that are over an hour long - unless it's dancing time I'm probably going to want to save my feet!

being hoofed out of a room while it's 'changed' for the evening do and shoved into a tiny corner somewhere

but i do love weddings!

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    Kirsty94 ·
    • Hide content

There's very little that I actively dislike in relation to weddings. Whilst there are many things that have been mentioned that I wouldn't choose to do myself, I wouldn't criticise anyone else for choosing those things, each to their own.

The things I dislike are:-

• Guests dressed all in black or wearing inappropriately short skirts - it's a wedding not a nightclub!
    • Rude guests
    • Children running wild, particularly during the meal
    • Anything too cringeworthy such as the bride singing to the groom so uncomfortable!

My OH particularly dislikes flowery waistcoats and church ceremonies.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

BridesMaids in black!

Fingerprint trees! Don't know why I just don't like them?

Kids running around driving everyone crazy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics