Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content

- almonds as wedding favours or any other flimsy 'favour' please dont waste the £5 pound on the 100 fvours you have bought i would rather you save your £5

especially when they are so crap why bother?

- disposable cameras on tables ? dont get these, everyone has digital or phones they are just an unesscary expense and look cheap on the tables

- bride with white acrylic tips (didnt see that one coming very orginal - not)

- chair covers of any kind ESPECIALLY the spandex ones serious dislike for them

- dove release

- magicians - annoying having to pretend to be interested when id rather talk to my partner/firends

- tiaras unless they are understated majority look like cheap tat

- sweet table unless done properly, a few mason jars and £20 spent at costco does not constitute a 'sweetie buffet'

- bride/grooms with children making them the focus of their wedding, sorry i thought it was about marrying eachother today not about your children

-balloons cheap and tacky

- red and black wedding theme

- vintage shabby chic - why do people use these expressions how about think of your own its WAY OVERDONE

- birdcages again overdone

- calla lillies HATE - and they always hold them like babys - not a good looks at all

- FUCHSIA OR HOT PINK

- butterflys

- taxis as transport on the day rather not bother personally

-generic moss bros suits and especially with THEM waistcoats

-cannon in d most boring overused wedding music EVER

- them silly set up first dances unless they are amazing then they are just cringe

- converse as wedding shoes or those 'irresistible choice ones'

- no problem doing a wedding on a budget but please dont get a dj or favours or some things if your just gonna scrimp and get the worst possible

-those cheap 'swarovski' inspired crystal shoes, get a decent pair that dont look like ultimate tack

- fake tan on bride & bridesmaids

- hair slapped back with gel and 2 strands left hanging

- too much jewelry on the bride earrings/necklace and bracelets?

- shiny wedding dresses with loads of detail

eeeek i didnt realise i had so many things i dislike i sound like a massive *** Smiley sad and the thing is if i went to a wedding with several of the above i would still enjoy

it, just personally they are not for me!

• Carolanne83
    Beginner March 2013
    Carolanne83 ·
    • Hide content

I don't like

-veils, at all

-lots of children

-blingy tiaras

-irish diddly music, ceilidh dancing

-obvious music choices, especially Bruno Mars

-brides who wear their hair curly when they never normally do, it looks weird

thats about it!

(oh, and table names-just don't get it!)

(oh and THEMES!, it's a wedding not a fancy dress!)

• MrsMcCall2be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcCall2be ·
    • Hide content

Children at weddings, particularly ones that talk or make noise throughout the ceremony, or won't stay in their seat. It's not adorable and I don't think it 'breaks the ice'. I'm eternally grateful that I only know one person with a small child so this probably won't be an issue for me, but unless the child is my own offspring, I would be furious if someone brought their kids to my wedding and then let them run riot.

Animals involved in weddings. Has anyone else seen that photo on pinterest with the bride and grooms hands, and a dog's paw on top? Gives me the creeps, not sure why.

Sit-down meals. I'm not that fussy about food but even I rarely find I like every single part of the menu.

Cookie cutter weddings. Two of my friends got married within a year of each other and had basically the same wedding - church followed by hotel, sit down meal, balloons, first dance, evening buffet that no one touches, disco, finish. Little favours that are sweets/chocolates. Bucks fizz while photos are taken.

That reminds me - bucks fizz! I really really hate orange juice, to the extent that the smell makes me gag, and yet somehow this is a standard drink, sometimes the only choice until the meal, at a ton of weddings.

Weddings that are a little bit too individual. I went to a very informal wedding where after the meal, the music was all from the couple's ipod. Not always a bad choice but they were primarily into metal and punk music. Not the kind of thing you can dance to - the dancefloor was empty. It was obviously their style, but there was a roomful of people who weren't being entertained.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Sorry dear, this made me chuckle.

Though I understood your point Smiley smile

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mean irregular choice?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here!

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yep them ones!!! dreadful.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

... *shimmies out of the room* ...

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley winking get back in here! I still love your shoes!

Beginner January 2012
    2014Bride! ·
    • Hide content

Iv just read through this post and dont understand why people who are apart of a wedding forum would start a post like this. Surely Hitched is made for advice/wedding planning not to be rude and disrespectful. This post is absolutely ridiculous as you all know people will have lots of things that you dislike.

Yes we cann all have our opinions but its just rude to post it on here in the way you have.

Im having chair covers, sashes, a flower girl (who will be a princess for the day) and a page boy, i will be having a candy buffet and my groom will be wearing a dark grey tail suit with a cravat and waistcoat, i will be having crystalised heels for my wedding shoes followed by converse at night and my bridesmaids will be wearing long strapless dresses! so thanks for all the negative comments.

you know what, You all make me even happier about all my decisions and even more happy that none of you our guests at my wedding as you are rude and unthoughtful!! I know my guests will come to my wedding for the right reason and wont be bitching about all the little bits.

Can i just ask if you dont like all these things then what do you like? if we got married in a registry office in jeans and a top you would still have something to moan about. Why cant you be positive about peoples weddings?

If we all had the same things (or didnt have any of the things you all dont like) then weddings would be very boring and original

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I wanna marry my shoes ... i wear them when my partner isnt in the house. which he misses since he likes them too. i think they're cheating on me.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Am looking forward to being the most hated wedding on Hitched 2013 ? - Short dress, with red petticoats, shoes with ice cream charms, sweet and dessert bar, we're performing a song instead of first dance, roped all of our family & friends into helping, button bouquet, cash bar (with NO free drinks at all), main meal is a BBQ on paper plates with plastic forks, no cheesy disco, no colour scheme etc etc. Not much class, but lots of our personalities. If I started being classy all of a sudden, it wouldn't wash! My day, my rules ?

My main peeve at the moment is *vintage style* weddings for people who don't really do vintage in everyday life - stop hijacking our culture, and doing it badly! Your wedding looks like Cath Kidston vomited all over it! I don't like being asked for money in invites, especially towards the honeymoon of a couple who have spent £20k plus on their wedding, I agree about men in pink, I dislike teardrop bouquets, bling, table crystals and choreographed first dances. Too cringey.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Actually I look forward to it ruby, sounds so relaxed and a blast!

• barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk
    barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

When whatever music is chosen for background goes on and on through the whole wedding. Be it a jazz band, harpist, keyboard whatever - fine for an hour during the photos and canapes but not the same all through the meal and into the evening. Fine for an hour unless it's bagpipes that is, in which case after five minutes I get suicidal.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

I've just read through this thread in disbelief...how is this constructive at all?

I tell you what I hope I'm not inviting anyone to my wedding like that. Hopefully my guests will be polite, gracious and aware that at as long as we end up married by the end of the day, then whether our 'colour scheme' was too matchy is entirely irrelevant.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? sorry only our opinions and not personal against anyone's big day, every wedding is special even if the bride and groom turned up at the reg office in jeans like you say its about two people cementing their relationship regardless of the other extras that we have all commented about.however these are just our opinions and im sure there are things in life you dont like otherwise you wouldnt of gone out of your way to have specific things at your wedding?

Really there was no need to create a new username to write this though -bit fishy how youve only joined today and felt the need to comment on this particular posr :Smiley smile

anyway enjoy your wedding im sure it will be fabulous regardless of the converse and cravats.

im glad weve made you even more happy about your choices although you dont sound it Smiley smile

• Poppy14
    Beginner April 2014
    Poppy14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well said, isn't this a place for support and advice?

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the most recent posters... this is disrespectful to people who are having things similar to the stuff being slated here! This isn't a place t slag thing of its a place for ideas and advice!

Have people not got anything better to do than write a huge list of things that people dislike?!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooooooh touchy! ?

You have completely missed the point of this thread, which is just a bit of lighthearted fun!

Life is all about each to their own but it definitely sounds like you are doubting your choices as the only person on here that has taken offence and got defensive about it. Maybe if you read a bit more of the forum you would have noticed a thread 'what are you having at your wedding that is on the dislike thread' and what do you like at weddings'

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Oh for pity's sake, calm down. It's only a bit of fun.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it is fun at all for the people potentially offended by the things that are apparently MASSIVE WEDDING FAUX PAS!

It might be fun for those in the comfortable position of already being married or already having most of their wedding stuff booked and thus able to look down on everybody else.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here here, touchy arent they!

Obviously annoyed as they have half of the stuff mentioned in the lists!

I too have some of the stuff people have said they dislike but i dont care i like what i like and its other people preference if they dislike it!

i dont give 2 hoots....

i like this thread ONE WOMANS TRASH ANOTHER WOMANS TREASURE think they need to calm down

Beginner January 2012
    2014Bride! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I look on hitched quite often for positive posts and ideas but havent bothered with an account as i see quite alot of negative things and i just wanted to comment on this one as i imagine its upset quite a few people. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion but when you know it will cause a stir as people will be having these things i just thing its unnecessary! There are things i dont like but im not rude enough to shoot other brides down about their ideas and write it on a forum where alot of brides will be having these things. Why cant people post positive things that will be helpful to brides?? If i want to wear converse as my wedding shoes i will and if i want to have ugly chairs dressed then i will!!! but seeing some of the comments on here have really disgusted me it just seems that some individuals are here to upset others and cause a stir!

Why cant everyone be nice and enjoy talking about their weddings and the positive things like what we do like at weddings and what has worked?

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

Its not fun when there is a big amount of people slating colours and ideas that all relate to one persons wedding!

its not even constructive criticism its damn right rude! Im glad i have found a lovely group of girls on another forum who help with ideas and advise if needs be! Havent people got anything better to do that having gotten married and hanging round here putting down other peoples ideas?!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Oh sweetie, sorry for any hurt caused. As the others said its only in light hearted fun Smiley smile

For instance a lot my wedding desicions are in this thread. The dress, shoes my colour etc etc and given how geeky I am I think I maybe bordering on tacky too Smiley smile just take it all with a pitch of salt.

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

No ones being touchy here especially not when some people are being damn right rude! Listing almost everything a wedding consists of?!

There are alot of things im having on here and to be honest i couldnt give a mokeys uncle if a bunch of people i dont know dislikes them, im just stating i thought this was a place for advice/ideas! Doesnt seem if on this thread, why would anyone need to start a thread like this? Why not start a thread of stuff you DO like and then no one is offended as people dont need to mention things they dislike!

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you realise that you have just contradicted yourself with your 2nd from last line. In your first line you said its not personal against anyone and then criticised this person for having converse and cravats! Shown yourself to be a right nasty person!

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not really when ive got cravats at my wedding LOL

but ok ... dont really care what you have to say ....

haha oh dear

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As I already mentioned there is a thread a for 'stuff you do like' and a confession thread for 'stuff you are having that is on the dislike thread'

Again all are just lighthearted fun.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

Touchy aren't they????

Who the hell are you to make such a statement?? Clearly a snotty bint who thinks its fine to slate other peoples ideas and be little their dream day.

Disgusting behaviour from grown woman. Hanging about once married to start pathetic threads that do not help in the slightest. Absolutely laughable behaviour. I couldn't give a hoot what you like or dislike about weddings but you have offended many by your comments. Why would you start such a thread about dislikes??!! Blatant negativity and I thought Old Marrieds hung around forums to give positive advice about weddings....obviously not.

Twisted women so sad their day is over that they feel the need to belittle others.

How about you shuff your pathetic comments where the sun don't shine and get back to being an old twisted married woman!!!

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a convincing response - are you old enough to get married?

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

And as ive already said...

its NOT lighthearted fun when you haven't got anything better to do than hang around slagging people ideas and hard work off!l

Your entitled to your opinions yes but theres a certain way you go around expressing it and writing endless lists of thing isnt it!

We are entitled to our opinions also so like it or lump it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics