Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• Platinum17514
    Beginner May 2014
    Platinum17514 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the most recent posters! Now toddle off with your negative comments, a lot of effort goes into wedding planning and this thread isn't very helpful to anyone!

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

Thisis just a bit of fun! You shouldn't care what other people think, it's your wedding not theirs!

Loads of people have slated vintage, cath kidston and pink colour schemes but I didn't care at all because all the people attending my wedding will know it's me all over! All the things I love! Everyone's different!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea dear, totally each to their own

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Youve missed the point - people that are upset don't care if people don't like their weddings but they do care about threads like this, where people are being rude about choices as 1) there is no need for such rudeness on a WEDDING forum and 2) it may make some more unsure brides worry about their choices for their weddings and upset them

• RichesToBe
    Beginner June 2013
    RichesToBe ·
    • Hide content

Crispy, tonged hair

Diamantes

Can't think of anything else!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

So any one daring to question OMs is out of line but OMs smugly slagging off perfectly normal wedding things is absolutely fine and 'just a bit of fun'.

Got it.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

No she won't. Unless you are a princess or her father is prince, she ill not be a princess. She may be dressing up as one, but to say she is one is as grating as those vile car stickers saying "princess on board".

Anyway, lighten up. I wouldn't give two hoots if people had said to me that they hated elopements, hated just being invited to the reception as a consequence, thought DIY weddings were vile, disliked ceilidhs, thought all wedding party had to be in matching suits etc, etc. All we are doing here is talking about which traditional / popular / trendy aspects we dislike. And if you can't have the courage of your convictions to stand up to that, have a laugh, and join in, then this may be the wrong website for you.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

Ooohhh my language is nasty but your posts here are not??!

Obviously it doesn't belittle my point because you got it!!

Like I say my post above makes my point.

The only people belittling and being nasty are the guys slating other peoples ideas and weddings.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now you are just splitting hairs to wind up 2014bride. It is HER day and if she says her flower girl will be a princess for a day then she WILL! We know not a REAL princess in the full meaning of the word but she can still be called a princess

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you missed the fact that the majority of posts in this thread are from people still planning their weddings (myself included)

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

We are only talking generally here, it would be bitchy if you flashed bits of your wedding and everyone said it looks horrible or something! Not personally aimed at anyone!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

My daughter will be a princess on my day and I will not have the likes of a barefoot beach bride saying otherwise. Who are you to state such crap?

This website is for advice and ideas about planning your day not a place to get ideas about things people don't like I think YOU are on the wrong website!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Yeah yeah and I'm an elfin pixie. Sorry, but I can't abide the whole "my little prince(ss)" thing, weddings or not. Comes under same category of a colleague having "powered by fairydust" on her car. Right. So come the fuel outages, she'll be just fine then.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just because YOU can't abide by it doesn't mean it's wrong - who made you the boss of everything? Oh I forgot your another of the OM's I shall bow down to you and do everything you say cos youre married you MUST be right!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

For starters I was referring to everyone and secondly how you can call me unpleasant with the rubbish that everyone else has being posting.....tut tut!!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I never said it was wrong. The title of the thread was "what don't you like at weddings", not "what is wrong about weddings". My opinion really should mean as little to you as yours does to me,

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

Oh for goodness sake! We managed about 9 pages of lightheartedness, and now everyone's got their knickers in a twist. No-one's slagging off anyone's particular wedding, just expressing their own personal opinions of things that happen at weddings.

No-one's saying these things should be banned, or that anyone who has these things at their wedding should be taken out and shot for crimes against taste/etiquette/tradition/individuality (apart from crimes against butterflies/'doves'/goldfish, you should be severely dealt with in those circumstances...).

If you're upset about the personal preferences of a bunch of people on the internet that you've never met, maybe forums aren't for you.

• Platinum17514
    Beginner May 2014
    Platinum17514 ·
    • Hide content

Hahahahaha! Love Shelltoon think she's spot on! ??

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice to meet you elfin pixie!!

Well fortunately my little girl will be a princess....I could say a few things about eloping but hey ho not in my blood!!!

And..."So come the fuel outages, she'll be just fine??"....Too much pixie booze??!!!

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow bet you are fun to be around.... What a lovely mother you will be... Guess you wont let your children believe in father xmas either... Of course they aren't real princes and princesses. As a mother of a 5 year old girl and 4 year old boy nothing makes them happier than being a prince and princess.... Stop being such a grouch ...

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Saying "she's not a princess" and keep going on about it is basically saying she's wrong. Your opinion doesn't bother me, your attitude does

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some people HAVE personally criticised others for what they are having though - re-read the cravats and converse response from cocktail to 2014 bride

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Well if she's powered by fairydust, she won't need diesel! Anyway, that's fine, I really really don't mind if people think my wedding wasn't for them, and that they would have done things differently. That's the whole point of this thread, and the sister thread of what other people hate that we're having anyway. Honestly, lighten up. If people on here slate very single little aspect of my wedding, that's fine by me since OH and I loved it and we had the blessing of God and our parents. I really hope that no-one else cares what unrelated stuff random forumites hate.

On the plus side, my first marriage, 11 yrs ago, would have scored high on the bingo card for this thread. I had horse and carriage, self written vows, civil wedding, swirly waistcoats, matchy bridesmaids, a flowergirl (not a princess ?), formal speeches, matchy male wedding party, and god knows how many other sins!!!

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree - i went to a wedding once and had to pay £ 12 for a vodka and diet coke and a pint of beer - i think its quite cheeky to expect your guests to pay this in my opinion

oh and before anyone says well dont drink - a diet coke was £ 4.50 alone!!

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

If you went to a wedding of a good friends which consisted of all the things you didn't like would you tell them? I don't think so! So why come on here and critisise things which make up other people weddings! It doesnt matter what your having or your style ect its about marrying the person you love so why is there any need to make a thread to put other peoples ideas down and make people question what other people are gonna think of their day!

I cannot believe any adult would sit here and slag people idea off and then try and say its just a bit of fun!

Surely you have better things to do!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

Cheeky??!! Geeze what do you wipe your bottom with £20 notes??!!

Next time love pop a bottle of vodka in ya handbag and be grateful you got an invite!!

• Kaela
    Beginner June 2014
    Kaela ·
    • Hide content

Christ! Dont you think people are paying Enough never mind paying for a feckin bar as well!!! We aint made of money!!

Beginner January 2012
    2014Bride! ·
    • Hide content

Well maybe this forum isnt for me then as i thought it was a wedding planning forum to share ideas, advice, pictures etc not to shoot people down about their weddings. Me and my converse/cravats will happily find somewhere else to go where i can talk about my chair covers, matchy matchy colours, matching suits and candy cart & where my FG can be a princess for the day without bitter people and their opinions!

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

No way in hell would i have a prepaid bar even if i could afford it. Whats cheeky is people expecting you to have one! The only people at my wedding that will have a prepaid bar are me and my husband!

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

Each to their own Smiley smile

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe what this has turned into. People will always have their own tastes and differences, it does not mean it is offensive or nasty, just people stating their tastes! We are all poking fun by stating what we have in our weddings on the don't like list in another thread. If you find this thread nasty then you don't have to read it, the clue is in the title. It didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact has amused me and I'm pretty sensitive.

I have been on here for 3 months now and haven't seen any negativity, I don't know where this is coming from?

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm afraid people don't choose the venues based on the price of drinks, they choose a venue that they love and can afford to provide a lovely day for themselves, friends and family to remember. I'm sure if we all had a choice the drinks at a venue would be £1 each.

You do realise the bride and groom would have had to pay that same price for those drinks too so it's not like they were trying to personally put you out of pocket - however they also had a whole wedding to pay for (including paying for you to be there) and all you can do is whine about how much the drink cost you - look at the bigger picture please!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics