Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why did you have one or having one?? Just out of interest?!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, this this this! I'm having loads of things at our wedding that have been slagged off on here, but I know it's nothing personal, and I'm secure enough to like what I like and not feel bad or upset because someone else doesn't like it. Everyone has a different opinion, and that's fine.

I do think this thread was a bit of lighthearted fun.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I am really shocked at the tone this thread has taken.

As has been pointed out it is the thread is about what don't you like, the board also has a recent thread about what do you like and what are you having that people don't like- all these threads have shown me (as someone still planning) how different weddings can be.

I firmly believe no one has been personal at all- the comment about the cravat was tongue in cheek as far as I read as that bride to be said she is having cravats herself.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content

YAWN this slanging match is getting boring...

Sorry some of answered a thread and were true to the point of it, alot of us will be having things at our wedding that others have said they didlike...totally fine.

Everyone has different tasted and we havent got in a sulk about it.

Mrs skinner i seem to have particularly got your back up with the cravat/converse comment...i am actually having cravats so it wasnt actually belittling some one elses choice

it was a joke but its fairly obvious you and some of the others are the fun police.

Anyway i really dont understand why you who are so against this thread and saying it is negative have even commented?

Get a life... if you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Oh and as for someone asking if i am old enough to be getting married i am thank you for being concerned Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Seriously?!

I read the first 9 pages of this thread without getting at all offended, even though many of my wedding choices are very unpopular. As Venart said, I'm secure enough in what I like and who I am to be happy with my choices, and I know we are having a day that reflects us. I enjoy reading other people's thoughts, both negative and positive.

Now, the *you'd make a lovely mother* comment was a step too far. If you are being critical of others being nasty, then the way to make your point is not to make personal, nasty comments to someone else. You do not know if the person your comment was aimed at may be infertile, for example. It was not a general sweeping comment, it was personal, and very mean. You kinda lost the moral high ground there.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, it's such a shame that a light-hearted thread about people's differing tastes has to be spoilt by a few overly sensitive posters. No one has said that these are 'wedding faux pas' or wrong or that no one should have them at their wedding (aside from the animal cruelty issues). It is purely about what some people don't like and has been ticking along nicely with the 'what are you having from the dislike thread?' thread.

I think if you went through this you'd find pretty much every possible thing about weddings that someone dislikes, that doesn't mean you have to change your views or your wedding it just means that someone somewhere doesn't like something!!! And for the record a LOT of earlier posters have specifically said that these are just their views and that they'd never criticise a friend's wedding for example.

Personally I hate chair covers and sleeveless dresses but went to a wedding recently with both, the bride looked gorgeous and I couldn't care less about the chairs because these are mostly little insignificant details that don't matter when you're in the moment watching people you love get married.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So why start a thread about it??!! Was it boredom?! Surely this has nothing to do with giving people advice or ideas about their wedding more like Hey avoid this at all costs its tacky lol!!

What people have put on here im pretty much having all of it, it wont sway me or my decisions but others it might. The whole point people are trying to make is how is this positive or helping others?

OOhh see I disagree, I read threads never really comment as I see people getting shot down my Old Marrieds who are blunt and damn right rude.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely nothing personal otherwise I would have to stop speaking to you cause you said you don't like Corinthians and we are having that read Smiley winking haha

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know this may be pointing out the obvious, but I do feel like I need to point out that this is an internet forum - you will have all sorts of people saying all sorts of things, sometimes controversial things, and there's no way of avoiding it. In the 16 months I've been on this forum there have every now and then been threads that get peoples backs up, this isn't a new thing at all, this happens. It's the internet. If you didn't want to read a thread about what people don't like, just scroll past and don't bother clicking on it, you won't be able to stop these threads from happening, but if they upset you you can avoid them.

I'm so sorry to see what this had devolved into, but these things do happen.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Ruby. I couldn't reply in any way to that comment that wouldn't have got me banned from the site. Thank you.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

I hate to repeat myself but this obviously got missed by some of you:

Youve missed the point - people that are upset don't care if people don't like their weddings but they do care about threads like this, where people are being rude about choices as 1) there is no need for such rudeness on a WEDDING forum and 2) it may make some more unsure brides worry about their choices for their weddings and upset them

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hah! Sorry, just heard it at too many weddings Smiley smile

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear.....

anyone know where i can get doves in a box? lol

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And this for me is the point of the thread! I didn't know how popular it is as I haven't been to a wedding as an adult but it works for us so I am happy- no need to apologise at all!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love a hot kitchen Smiley smile

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I appreciate its the Internet people can say what they like but look at it this way - for all those people that think this is an ok thread for a wedding forum (where brides are over emotional and stressed) there are at least the same amount who think its wrong. No group is more right than the other but if you have to allow people to post what they don't like at weddings on a wedding forum then you also have to that other group be upset about it and express it in the same thread.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When you do let me know!!!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to the forum Perfectbridetobe- what an entrance you have made.

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do agree - but the first thing we did was ask for the drinks price list at our particular venue. It doesnt make a difference to me - i wouldnt not go to someones wedding if i had to pay for someones drinks - that would be ridiculous. However - i do think that expecting people to pay £ 12 a round, a wedding gift list that minimum was £ 50 gifts, £ 80 in cabs to and from (we were asked not to bring cars as there was limited parking) was particularly cheeky in my opinion. I could go into the ins and outs but im not going to bother.

And yes thanks for the vodka in the bag tip - it turned out the bride and groom had told people to do this but not others! haha. So they were aware of the prices.

whether im having one or not is not the point - the question is "what don't you like about weddings?" - and this is mine Smiley smile no offence intended at all

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Ruby, I love you.

Can I come to your wedding? Smiley smile I'll bring some homemade cakes, apple and cinnamon

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well said Ruby.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That made me so cross as I was browsing in bed on my phone, I actually got up to reply.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well if taxis and gifts were going to cost me that much I would have taken 2 bottles of vodka!!

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So would you have chosen a different venue just based on the drinks prices??

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

The title makes it clear what it's about and the first post is really clear that it's a bit of fun!!

To answer your points (even though I think it's been said before)

1) It's not rude it's people's opinion. A wedding forum, like any other forum, is a place for people to put forward their views.

2) If someone's that unsure about their choices that easily upset then the internet is most definitely not the place for them!

I've not posted a list of things I hate because there aren't many and they're all things that have been repeated many times. I really should post on the other thread of things we're having that other people hate because amongst others we're having some karaoke! we have good reasons for this crazy choice ?

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brilliant...made you so mad you HAD to get out of bed!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know this isn't directed at me, but in my view my guests are spending enough money getting to my wedding that I want to provide them with all their food and drink. This is why we're having an account bar. If I couldn't afford to do this, I wouldn't have chosen as expensive a wedding venue.

So, yes. I would have taken bar prices into account when choosing a wedding venue.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content

Wait till mini comes on and sees what uproar this thread has caused.....

hahaha all because certain bride to be's feel the need to get their bee in a bonnet over a few genralised opinions LOL

• *button*
    Beginner August 2012
    *button* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right that it doesn't matter what style you have, a wedding is ultimately just about the two people making a commitment but in that case most of this forum would be redundant as there would be no need to ask anyone's opinion on dresses or favours or cakes. It's just a bit of fun for people to compare views and it seems like it's all been blown out of proportion. If you don't like the sound of the thread or think you're easily offended/ swayed then don't read it.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup.

As someone with fertility issues, if that comment had been directed at me, I would have taken it very personally (because it was personal). So yes I got up to stick my two pence worth in.

I think you're enjoying this Shelltoon.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no - not mini!!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh yes mini mini mini!!!! Is she the ring leader??!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics