Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sorry i dont see how that could of been perceived as rude. that is exactly what has happened. People have got their bee in a bonnet over other peoples dislikes at weddings which is what the whole thread is about..... shouldnt click on it if you dont want to read further,the title says it all. very sorry if you think that was rude but id have to disagree.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thats rude?! What offended you? Not naming anyone or the generalised comments bit?

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    cg090291 ·
    • Hide content

I have been on hitched for a while but have never posted because I have witnessed the click-y vile bitchy behaviour displayed by the so called 'regulars' and worried at the awful responses i would get when all i was after was some advice. However this has made me so angry I have had to comment.

Yes people have their own tastes and that is a given but why feel the need to slate it all? To say to someone who has just joined they have too much time on their hands is very hypocritical. To the member with 1000+ posts, I think it is you has too much time. I just feel sorry for your husbands, some married life they have got being married to an bitter old married who still stalks wedding forums years after their own wedding. Bet that does wonders for you relationship.

I will not be being hypocritical and will be leaving this awful site, as I wish to enjoy my engagement and spend quality time with my OH rather than waste away my days slagging everything and anything off through pure jealousy and bitterness.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I quoted you on that cause it made me giggle- I knew what you meant tho, one place we went to I felt like it was a wedding factory and they could put me and boyo on a conveyor belt and once we had gone through we'd be married!

I also totally agree with the top half of your post- I have it mentioned already but that is why I really like this thread.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And your response is much ruder than any OMs has been. And I have 1000+ posts and I can assure you I am not jealous or bitter. A lot of new posters have seen OMs being called names and jump on the bandwagon. If ou made an effort to join in and get to know some of them you might find a wonderful bunch of people who have been wonderful the whole time I have been on this thread. There is no need for such a rude reply.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*** Exactly this!!***

Oh my goodness!! It never fails to amaze me how these lighthearted posts can become so full of vitriol :0(

I am still a b2b in the (almost finished) planning phase and love having a giggle at some of the things that get said on here. I have LOADS of things in my wedding which appear on the don't like list but am I offended that my choices wouldn't match those of others? Am I diddly! That's what makes us US... Life would be terribly boring if we all wanted and liked the same things. There would be no such thing as a personal wedding as we would all go for the same dress, venue style, colour theme blah blah blah. I'm proud to have what I'm having and can't wait to enjoy my perfect day then post my report!

And yes, I will become an Old Married poster and enjoy dishing out advice and opinion, just as all our current -and lovely!!- OMs do.

I think anyone who reads all of these posts and takes offence at things appearing on the list aren't perhaps too confident or proud of the choices they have made for their wedding day.

So I for one am proud to say my little bingo wings will be flapping at full force in my strapless blingy dress as I walk down the aisle, following my 'feeling like a princess' flower girl to non classical music to commence my long religious ceremony in probably a chilly church before heading in a wind in the willows green vintage car to a village hall where guests will pay for most of their drinks whilst eating a hog roast at a table with crystals and petals on it before tucking into a candy buffet!!!

Whoop whoop!!!

I LOVE my wedding plans :0D xx

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear I have 1000+ posts and I am not even married yet, quick someone please some and rescue my other half and get me a restraining order on wedding forums.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, the difference between the 'all in good fun' comments earlier in this thread and this is that there was nothing personal being said, no names being called, no one slating specific weddings, just wedding things we generally had a dislike for. And let's face it, when planning a wedding you have things thrown in your face so many times you're going to have plenty to dislike. Now this comment is just mean. Not even just rude, it's mean. My fiance and I spend loads of quality time together. I pop onto hitched every now any then (usually just on my lunch break at work, actually), and just because I have over 1000 posts, doesn't mean I'm on here all the time.

Yes, I know you are probably referring to actual OMs on this thread, but I am still personally offended by your comments. It's a whole world of difference to the posts earlier.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content

AAhhhh so what your saying is your not one of them....should she be more specific??!!

Im sure it would be slammed in a few faces before she hits it!!

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely, I didn't see any nasty or personal comments on this thread until the bunch of people who were upset by it all arrived at once and I'd been following and giggling/nodding/shaking my head to it for several days.

And is it because it's a Bank Holiday that suddenly a group of people all with the same opinion appear who had previously not noticed the thread or not been offended but are now very upset and offended...

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You do realise your post count is displayed under your avatar which makes your opening comment utter rubbish.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No hun.... But there are loads of moths tonight- you reckon I can catch them and they'll be okay in an utterly butterly tub for the next few weeks? ;0) xx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

This thread is a f*cking disgrace. The 'dislikes' cover all types of marriage, all types of dress, all types of party, all types of food, all types of entertainment. We ALL had or are planning to have something that has been mentioned here. To work yourself up into a personally offended rage is something I (and clearly others) simply don't get. To attack someone's opinion by questioning their parenting skills is simultaneously sickening and laughable.

Is it possible to get back on track here? I'll start.

I don't like any wedding that wasn't mine. And I had the dinosaur reading. So it must have been sh*t. Ah well Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was having quite a good chuckle in bed to myself reading this thread, until i reached this comment. Now im P*ssed,

I am one of these "regular" posters that you refer to, and at no point that I am aware of have I ever been vile or bitchy, and neither have any of the other ladies. It's people like you who come on here with your wooden spoon and start stirring up trouble. At the end of the day, if you dont want to hear other people critisizing what may be some elements of your wedding, then dont read the thread. Its not difficult, thats what the X in the corner of the screen is for. These women did not come in to your home and start critisizing your choice of curtains. It is simply a lot of soon to be brides or OM's discussing their own preferred tastes. I'm not going to go and cry in a corner because someone hates the colour purple or butterfly themes. Same as I'm sure someone else isnt going to run out and cancel their Candy Cart because I say I think they seem tacky.

Sweeping generalisations like the one's you have just made about the regulars, and the OM's being bitter and jealous is immature and quite frankly THAT is what is the most offensive about this whole thread.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Yay!!! You gotta love FTLOMB :0) XX

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

Typical, I wrote a reply and hitched ate it.

Well said Footlong.

How on earth the OMs got the brunt of this when the vast majority of postings (some over 20 items long) were from WPers.

Mini made it perfectly clear on page one that this was a laugh - and it was for a good 12 pages or so then somebody had to get nasty.

Some might say it sounded like profiles were even created with purpose to start arguments ?

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If this were Facebook, I would like this post right now! ? I was close to snorting on this one,

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Footlong thank goodness you arrived!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

So anyone with an opinion different to all of yours is trolling then?

you know what, maybe it's just so cliquey on here sometimes and people are so easily shot down that actually it just takes a couple of people to stand up to it for others to feel confident enough to post too.

Ive been on here since we got engaged in December and did most certainly not come on here to cause any trouble. But I really have found this thread offensive. This really has highlighted what OMs and 'regulars' think of any rarer posters or newcomers though, essentially; if you don't agree then leave. Lovely.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's funny isn't it how many if these were new profiles, joined recently, all in agreement with each other, posting in quick succession when the thread had lain dormant for a little while.....

I'm off to sob over the pictures of my naff wedding whilst neglecting my husband so I can feel superior on a forum some more.

just to reiterate for my less educated readers, this is a very common thread, we gave it in hitched very now and then. I think my quote was ' the fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa'

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. All of this 100%. Oh, except the dinosaur reading. But I had a sweet table, children and a pay bar, so yeah mine was pretty crap too.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And I quote you again......

Such a joke. What a load of twats/same person under a different username/members of the same Facebook group

Now whos being offensive...??!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

This thread has made me really sad.

What started out as a lighthearted thread has ended in personal attacks on those who chose to take part.

Can I please request that those who have taken offence to this thread don't aim horrible insults at members of the forum? It has only been those that have been offended by this thread who have made things personal - everything was generalised until that point.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why is this bothering you so much?! You go on about nastiness but all I have seen is horrible comments aimed at a lovely OM.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Me sheeltoon, I'm being rude to you as you have been too me.

well done for working out where ot is though. Clever girlie.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its Shelltoon for one and why thank you for the second!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My apologies for not memorising your username my love. If you were a regular my predictive text you have you in there by now.

so, perhaps you want to explain what exactly I have done as an individual to upset you so much? After all I would like the opportunity to know what I have done wrong and apologise if I have made any direct insults about you in a public forum at all. Please do share. I can only assume I have made some gross slur on you to revive such a dressing down.

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Wow......I don't come on for a few days and come back to this!

I looked at the first few pages with interest to see how many people listed Magicians in their dislikes. I am aware that not everyone like magic and was not offended when some (not many, fortunately) included it in your dislikes. I wasn't even offended when one of you said you thought Magicians were creepy!

I realise that some just don't like it. Even when I'm doing a wedding or any other event, I come across people that are not interested for one reason or another. This does not offend me. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

However, I feel that some of the replies have been a bit tactless and perhaps could have been put across better as some people are more easily offended than others and we are here to help each other rather than put each other down.

That is all I have to say.

Oh, and to those that did list magician, email me and I'll give you a very special offer on your wedding! ;-)

• KampKaz
    Beginner June 2014
    KampKaz ·
    • Hide content

Wow not been here for a while, granted cos I found it all a little... Critical and my phone didn't handle the forum well.

Ok,I agree this whole topic is a bit close to peoples heart,I don't want to see that what we want for our day has been slated by you guys (and a lot of it has) and I don't think many people do. I'm not sure it is a suitable topic for WP either.

i don't think it should of turned into this though...

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice to know im your love.

where would you get such a presumption that I don't like you??!! If your referring to the ring leader remark it was made at the point everyone shouted up that mini would be impressed, what would mini think...

Have I dressed you down?! If so I sincerely apologise!! I was merely referring to the fact you called us twats!!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shelltoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love magicians...def having one at my wedding x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics