Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

What dress code did you have?

LittleMiss4, 11 of November of 2012 at 09:19 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi everyone,

I am so confused (as usual) and need your help with the dress code for our invitations. We will get married at 3pm (in May) in a countryside hotel, with only 30 guests and everyone is staying for the wedding breakfast, no additional guests for the evening. Since I am Swedish and don't know the etiquette for British weddings, I have brought up the dress code question with my fiancé, but he and his dad have both said that it's not that important to tell people what to wear, and people will probably dress up anyway. Is that the common approach for a wedding in the UK? I know that at least my Swedish guests would appreciate some hints about what to wear, and probably some of the British ones too.

So, what dress code (if any?) did you have/are you having? Is "informal" a good dress code if we want a relaxed wedding, or should we write something else? Thanks for your help!

14 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 12 of November of 2012 at 15:46
  • ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Ive never been to a wedding with a dress code, but i'm sure someone will come along who can help.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

As your OH has said, normally it isn't necessary to tell your guests how to dress to attend a wedding. Usually, by the nature of it being a wedding, people would know to dress up. If your Swedish guests need a dress code, then I think only you can tell them what is appropriate. I woudn't have thought 'informal' was appropriate but I guess it depends on how people interpret this- I would be worried people would turn up in jeans! x

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    LittleMiss4 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks a lot for your replies. It seems like my OH and his dad were right then, which is quite good to hear, because then we won't need to have any dress code for the British guests Smiley smile It's just funny, because in Sweden it would be seen as a big mistake (almost rude) to not specify the dress code for a wedding. The dress code here is seen as a guidance or help for the guests, so that they don't turn up over- or underdressed. I'm glad I asked you!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Little miss4, I got married in Sydney & its common there to have a dress code too- there are so many different dresscodes that it really helps guests. In the UK, most weddings I have been to have been formal, but if yours is going to be more relaxed, I'd include a dress code. The style/type of invite you choose also sets the tone for your wedding.

I wrote , 'semi-formal' on ours because I didnt want people turning up in jeans, but I wasnt expecting black ties & formal hats. These links might help too:

https://www.easyweddings.com.au/articles/dress-code-information/

https://i-do.com.au/wedding-tips/aaa-wedding-style/for-the-mums-the-dads-and-your-wedding-guests/deciphering-the-wedding-dress-code/

https://polkadotwedding.com/2011/11/wedding-dress-code-guide/

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya,

Could you just put a dress code on the invites for your Swedish guests but not for the other guests?

Ali

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I'd think it odd to have a dress code on a wedding invite for a wedding here. People generally assume to dress smartly.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I think weddings just generally have a 'wedding dress code' where everyone knows the wear nice smart pretty clothes. I think the only time I'd specify a dress code would be if I didnt want anyone to be smart, say if you want just casual wear.

The only mention of clothes on our invites was just a little fun bit in the guest info to bring wellies if they want (we're a march wedding, and the hall has loads of gardens to explore).

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Hi LittleMiss4, I live in Denmark and am getting married to a Danish man. I think that the customs between Sweden and Denmark are similar as a couple of people on our Danish guest list have asked me regarding the dress code. I've simply said 'smart'. We didn't specify it on the invite as it wasn't something we thought of but if you think you'll get a few people asking then I would do as the ladies here have advised and put it on the Swedish invites.

Also, just out of interest, are you getting married in Sweden or the UK? I'm having a Lutheran ceremony.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

I love the dressing glamorous idea. Yes in Britain people dress nicely, however we are hoping to encourage people to really go for it with floor-length dresses and sharp suits. (Really not a tux fan, otherwise we would have gone black tie).

Think we will be using the glamorous line!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think its great to put a dress code in with the invites I hate not knowing what to wear and having to check the formality of the day/venue... I will be including a dress code with my invites.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But, no black right?!

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    LittleMiss4 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the input, all of you, it has been really useful. We have ordered our invitations now, and we decided to skip the dress code. First, we thought we would have one for the Swedish but not for the UK guests, but then we decided we leave it out completely and I will talk to my Swedish guests in person if they have any questions.

NicolaAngeles: We live in Sweden but are getting married in the UK because he is from there, and his family is bigger than mine. It's very exciting but also difficult to plan a wedding in a country you don't live in! Good luck with your planning Smiley smile

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, got ya! I completely understand about planning something from a different country. We were planning everything from the UK originally which meant that when we came to Denmark in August for a 10 day break, we had to scoot around the city looking at venues as all we could obviously do from the UK was look at pictures online! Luckily we fell in love with the second one we saw. But it's a pain in the backside, isn't it!

'Lycka til' to you too! (Think I've got that right!) Smiley smile

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Generally people love to dress up for a wedding here. If any guests are looking for a fascinator then maybe they might like to look at my new website.

www.weddingfascinator.co.uk

Thank you

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics