Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

X
Beginner July 2010

What happens after we have given notice??

xxxshellzyxxx, 9 November, 2009 at 11:51 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hiya

I know this may sound stupid but I have forgotten what we have got to do next after giving notice

We gave notice in August this year and we are getting married July 2010. The registrar gave me all the information and wording for ceremony and said that we had to go back but I can't remember for the life of me why??

Id rather not call them cause I feel a bit stupid.

Any help would be great xx

11 replies

Latest activity by Blackkat, 9 November, 2009 at 21:39
  • Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

Did you book a registrar with them?

We gave notice in June, but as we are getting married elsewhere we had to book the reg in that place. We have to pay them lots of money too! grr!!

HTH

• X
    Beginner July 2010
    xxxshellzyxxx ·
    • Hide content

We are not getting married at the registry office but the registrar we gave notice to is going to marrying us at our venue.

I know we have to pick up marriage certificates etc but i didnt know when that is?

Thanks

Shellzy x

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

Ahh I think its 4/6 weeks (they have to be put up at the place for 3 weeks i think)

Then so long as no one contests you are free to marry EEK!! It makes it all so real then Smiley smile

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

I cant help because I havent been yet (going in two weeks) but just a quick question, when you go to give notice is that they time you talk to the registrar about vows and readings?

I dont want to look like an idiot asking, especially because the one I spoke to on the phone was so rude and sharp.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Do I have to give notice or do the church do it??? I'm totally confused!

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

if you are gettimg married in a church you wont need to see a registrar - as the church man is marrying you not the registrar. they have reading of the banns at church instead for a few weeks.

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to crash... but how soon are you supposed to give notice and book a registrar?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I can only speak on behalf of scottish church weddings here but we couldnt give notice till 3 months before the wedding so that was 18th April. The week of the wedding we went back to collect our Marriage licence signing thingy - this was to be given to the minister and he would have it ready, waiting for us to sign on the wedding day.

Regardless of getting married in a reg office, hotel, park or church, you need to REGISTER at your local reggy office.

Hope that helps.

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I went to see them to ask them and they said I could book registrar asap (but would have to pay deposit asap and be definate on timings - they were anal about that when I tried to change themm) But cant do notice of marriage until within a year of wedding date.

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I went to give notice a few weeks ago & our licence will be ready next week after its been up in our local registry office for 3 weeks. At the meeting its just to sort out the legalities (checking that my H2B & I weren't related!!) & pay £30 each for the privelledge. We're getting married in a different location to where we live so we had to give notice where we lived. Your marriage cerftificate is valid for a year so as long as you know that you're getting married within the year its ok to do it that far in advance. It says that costs £20 to make any changes on dates or venues. After the meeting we got sent a pack from the county that we're getting married in (getting wed in a registered venue) which has the vows and speechs that we can choose from. We can make a meeting with the register nearer the time to discuss details but I suppose that probably depends on the region you're getting married in. Hope that helps a bit!

• X
    Beginner July 2010
    xxxshellzyxxx ·
    • Hide content

Thats great thanx. what you have written above has jogged my memory. with arranging everything else i sometimes feel like im losing my mind!! Hee Hee!! x

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

It reminded me that I can go & collect the licence next week. Also forgot to mention about booking the registrar as early as possible. We booked ours in April 15 months in advance of next July & we didn't get the time that we wanted!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics