Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2014

What happens after you give notice?

HundredMonkeys, 27 of February of 2014 at 08:30 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hey all,

So we gave notice at the end of January at a registry office in the place we live in. They said that the "16 days notice" period would start and then they would send confirmation to the registry office that is in the district we're marrying in. They said we'd be sent a booklet and a confirmation letter. They said give it until 14th Feb...we still haven't received anything. Just wondering what exactly we were supposed to receive and how quickly we were meant to get it? Gonna ring them today and find out what's happened...

11 replies

Latest activity by miss pickle, 27 of February of 2014 at 13:16
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

We gave notice in the office where we live and then i think it was a few weeks later I received and email from the office we are getting married with with info on ceremony choices etc.

There wasn't a huge amount of info though so I emailed saying did we need to do anything other than give choices and pay and they said no. It's not very clear though! I think some offices require you to pick up the docs and send on yourself but others don't so maybe just give them a call.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'd give them a call. While there are the set legal processes they all have to follow, there's then lots of variables. I'd have thought you would have heard by now, but as has been said, they might be expecting you to contact them.

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content

I didn't hear anything!! We had the meeting with the registrar back in May 2013 and he said it will be showing on the notice board for 2 weeks and that was it! Paid the remainder of the fees a few weeks ago so I hope nothing is going to go wrong now! lol

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We've been told exactly the same as you (except we haven't given notice yet) .. we're getting married in a reg office outside of our borough so have to give notice in our own borough - the one we're getting married in told us that once we've given notice our home borough will send confirmation to the other one ... they didn't tell us time frames though.

But yes - a quick phone call won't do any harm to put your mind at ease.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thought you might like to see this which is the email I got from the registrar we're using to get married. Getting married in Wales, live in North Yorkshire. We will give notice in Harrogate.

Thank you for your email. Your booking for Wednesday 08 April 2015 is in the diary.

Once you have given notice to marry at your local register office we will be informed instantaneously, automatically, electronically and we will write to you confirming your booking, send examples of the ceremonies we normally hold and inviting you to get in touch with us closer to the time (usually a month before the ceremony) to discuss your ceremony requirements in more detail and pay the fee.

It is when giving notice to marry you will need to show your documents. We will not need to see any documents.

15 clear days after giving notice to marry your Certificates for Marriage will be printed.

You will need to arrange for those Certificates for Marriage to be sent to this office prior to the ceremony.

The details on your Certificates for Marriage are the details we use to prepare your marriage certificate.

The details that you give when you give notice to marry are the details that will be on the Certificates for Marriage and those are the details that will be on your new marriage certificate, which we issue on the day.

You are welcome to make an appointment at any time to see a registrar but there is no real urgency at this stage.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Thank ladies. I'll give the district that we're marrying in a ring. If anything just to check they did receive the notice from the other district. Thank you x

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Pammy, that's really useful, thanks Smiley smile

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

We gave notice in the registry office at the place where we live and then the booklet from the district we are marrying turned up in the post about a week later; before we had been to collect the certificates at the end of the notice period. I was pleasantly surprised ;-)

I would definitely give them a ring, maybe your booklet got lost in the post?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I just rang the main registry office in the place we're marrying. We're on the system and they received the notice from our district but the lady told me I should've received the information pack by now so she's asked them to ring me (the actual place we're marrying has a part-time registry office) hence why I had to ring the main one in the county. Here's hoping!

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I gave notice and was told that was it, they'll turn up on the day with certificates ready to hand over once we say 'I do'

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

All sorted now. The registry office rang me, said that we won't be sent the info pack as we're not having a ceremony (Catholic Church wedding so the registrar is just needed for literally registering us on the day!) so I just have to ring up nearer the time to pay. Thanks for all your help guys Smiley smile

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Glad you got it sorted ;-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics