Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

What happens between you walking out and all the confetti-throwing??

Arquard, 15 of March of 2011 at 13:56 Posted on Planning 0 21

I've just realised something and it's gone me in a right flap.

Bear in mind I haven't been to many weddings, but y'know where the bride and groom walk out together at the end of the ceremony... where do they go? And at what point do the guests leave and all congregate outside ready for the bride and groom to reemerge and have confetti thrown at them?? When/how do you give confetti to people for them to throw??

I am totally overreacting but the fact that I'd overlooked this little detail has really freaked me out and I'm all over the place!

21 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photographer, 21 of March of 2011 at 18:35
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

When my b2b's sister got married, the congregation left the church behind them at the end of the ceremony; they stopped at the gate at the entrance of the churchyard, and when the photographer told us to throw, we threw. The church has a rule of no confetti in the graveyard.

You probably don't need to panic; whoever is taking the service (or your venue, if not in a church) will tell you what is normal procedure, and your photographer will make sure everyone is in the right place ready for him before anything happens.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

This is how we're doing it:

Ceremony ends, we walk out followed by bridesmaids, usherettes, parents and then general congregation.

We then walk towards the doors of the town hall (there are steps outside the door).

We will stand there, and briefly greet people (probably won't have time to speak to anyone, just smile a lot I imagine!)

Meanwhile our usherettes will be standing just outside the doors. As people pass them, they'll be given confetti.

People will then line the steps with their confetti, and when everyone's out and the tog is ready, we'll turn to face the doors and walk out and have confetti thrown at us!

Hope that helps!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Well we went out a different door to the guests and had a couple of photos outside that door.

Then it was over to the garden for drinks and canapes and we managed to talk to all the guests too.

Photos followed and the last one before the wedding breakfast was he confetti shot!

At my friends wedding, she had a couple of the younger guests hand round confetti cones whilst the B&G had photos taken.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ohh nooooo! Y'mean there's loads of different ways to do it? Ah heck. Right... this is another thing on my Things To Sort Out list then! ?

• Crantock
    Dedicated June 2005
    Crantock ·
    • Hide content

Yes, the confetti throwing will generally be as you leave the churchyard rather than the acual church, as you'll leave the church before your guests usually. It's quite often something that the photographer has to arrange, and then we ask the couple to walk through while asking people to throw confetti.

I love the confetti shots!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I'm really excited about the confetti shots! There's a lovely little archway going onto the main lawn, which is where I'd like to have our confetti pics:

• B
    Beginner April 2011
    bit ·
    • Hide content

I have been thinking about his too and church wont allow confetti inside but some outside - what sort of container to put confetti in or do we just give out boxes of it?

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

Our way will proberly be no use to you but this is how ours will go.

We walk out as husband and wife into another room (civil ceremony)

While our usher lead our guests to the adjacent chapel through an alternative exit for our chapel blessing, we'll then be led round and have confetti thrown after the blessing.

• PeteKelk
    PeteKelk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Generally, at most churches nowadays, they ask you to throw the confetti on leaving the churchyard, at the Lych gate. This is almost always organised by the photographer. Most of the time after you come out, a photographer will take you to one side and get a few shots whilst everyone else is milling out.

I would always confirm in advance what type of confetti can be used at your church, sometimes they only like organic or bio degradable.

If you really like a confetti shot, I would thoroughly recommend that you supply the confetti and get a bridesmaid to dish it out at the appropriate time. A lot of people don't bring confetti anymore, I think it's because so many venues don't allow it. Smiley sad

Have a chat with your photographer and just make sure that s/he agree with all that first though, they may well do it completely differently!

PK x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Ours will be thrown outside of the Lych Gate. I suspect we'll also have our cricket bat arch there too!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

You have a cricket bat arch!! I can't wait to see it, although my OH is never allowed to see this he is cricket mad and would happily replace my lovely floral arch with a cricket bat one

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Not sure I'm going to get any say in it, Naboo! It's customary for the team to do that for any team mate getting married as as we're opposite the ground on the first day of the season...

Am hoping to have a flower arch over the church doors though!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Haha, best of both if you are still getting a flower arch tho! it will make for some lovely photos that actually are personal to you (well him anyway) tho! My Oh has just changed teams and we get married before the season starts so I have got away with any traditions they have phew!

In fact are you getting married on a sat in cricket season? we have had to plan our wedding and honeymoon so he doesnt miss any of the season!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

First game of the season! We've pretty much decimated the first team, oops. We were hoping there'd be a by game that the league might swap but no such luck!

We're postponing our honeymoon until the end of the season though.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Oops i bet your popular! I thought season stared the sat after our Tuesday wedding (honeymoon also postponed until end of season) however OH informed me last night that he might play the preseason friendly on the Sunday before the wedding, we travel at stupidly early oclock on the Monday up to Scotland to prepare venue grrr he had better not get himself injured lol

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I've been advised, to not have the confetti thrown until after the formal photos.

Otherwise we are covered in confetti for all of them!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Although I would never stop something that naturally happened, I would concur with this point. Confetti can get everywhere and often gets stuck under dress parts and specifically stuck in hair gel etc which "can" be detrimental to some photography. Technicolour dandruff as I often refer to it!!!

Peter

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Make sure you ask the venue where you can have confetti thrown.

We had our venue meeting last Friday and there is only one place to throw the confetti outside on the grass.....I asked what happens if it's raining or the grass os too wet to stand on and they suggested rice inside so that it can be hoovered up?! Wasn't entirely keen on this idea so I have suggested that we go back into the room adjoining ceremony room which has a wooden dancefloor and confetti is thrown in there and it can be swept up (plus it's a lovely room)

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Confetti used to be so predictable - they shower you with it the moment you leave the chuch... nowadays, it seems totally random, people throwing it where and when they feel like it. If you want the "confetti" shot, buy some (lots), and leave it with somone responsible, and then at least you can have some sustained coordinated confetti throwing that can be photographed

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Even more predictably was when you are changing the roll of film in the camera!!!!!?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, good thinking! They didn't mention not being allowed to throw it in certain places but I will ask.

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those were the days... (we still shoot the odd roll of film at a wedding)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics