Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

charlie_rabbit01
Dedicated June 2020

What happens when you give notice?

charlie_rabbit01, 21 of April of 2015 at 13:07 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'm giving notice on Friday and it all seems very serious! I've got all my paperwork ready which in a time when people don't get paper bills any more is a real pain!

I'm wondering what happens? its 45 minutes long!

14 replies

Latest activity by Fairytales19, 3 of May of 2015 at 16:36
  • Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I was told mine and H2B would be 45 mins long but it was nothing like that. I think we were in there a total of 20 mins, however I think that’s mainly due to the fact we are not getting married in the same district we gave notice in.

We were just asked the basic questions of where we lived, how long for, if we were related in any way, what I did, what H2B did, birthdays. I went first then H2B went second and apparently the woman started showing him the answers as soon as he started saying the correct answer.

There was really nothing else after that.

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

Like a quiz?

They ask me questions about him? I have no idea what his job title is, its some long winded one that i've never bothered to learn! ?

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the county but I can tell you what we did in Oxfordshire. We got interviewed together, just a legal bit really with us saying yes in the right bits. Then we got interviewed separately. it's not scary! Just a formality!

Here are the things you will each need to know:

each other's date of birth

each other's full name and job titles

your father's full name and job title!

That last one threw us, neither of us knew. How mad to prove you know your other half but not your dad! It's fine, it can be added later. But I just thought I'd warn you!

Oh and you have to pay a fee, we paid on our card. I think it was £35 each.

All in all it took no more than 25 mins. They might allow 45 mins in case one of you is not British.

it is quite serious, because it is a legal process, but it's not that bad. Have fun!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Exactly as Lui says, although we didn't even have to do ours separately!

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

We're both British so that should help.

i'm terrible under pressure, i can forget my own date of birth when quizzed in a serious situation.

I'm giving notice in Surrey.

I have seen on the website where i have to put in all teh details about the wedding etc it asks about fathers, but i'm leaving mine blank, I don't think my OH even knows my fathers name.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A bit like a quiz, if you imagine a him and her quiz, kinda like that.

My H2B has a really strange job title too and I have two roles in my job so we just had a chat before we went in and gave the abbreviation version and a rough idea what it was, then in his meeting he cleared up the actual name. Then i just gave what was on my contract (although different to my role now).

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

You'd think after 8 years I'd know everything and I probably do but i know i'll freeze under preasure.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

You’ll be fine, try not to worry!

I was the same as you and worried, then when i came out i didn’t know why i had been so worried.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, I will be giving notice for us next month, but I asked and we don't have to go together so I will be doing it on my own so my OH doesn't have to take time off work. I don't work on Fridays, so am just going to do it on my day off.

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

We got asked

Each others full names

Full DOB

Address

Where we were born

Farther's name - this one was fun because I have no relationship at all with my "Father" so my H2B didnt know his name but he explained this to her and she was happy with his answer

What the other person did for a living

Date of our wedding

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

I am the same, my H2B won't know many details about him, plus I won't be having his details on my marriage licence either.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Hmm.. Daisybell I would check that again as far as I was aware you both have to do it, just not necessarily at the same time.

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

This is what I was told, we both had to give notice but not necesarily at the same time.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsWatkinsToBe ·
    • Hide content

We didn't get asked anything about our fathers - maybe it's different in Wales, or perhaps it was because it's second time round for us?

To Original Poster - definitely don't worry about it. They don't ask anything awkward

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

We're registering our intent to marry next weekend. We've been together for over ten years and I still feel nervous haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics