Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious September 2019

What has been your most laughable invite decline, or reason for not committing to attend?

Missus_Mop, 23 of April of 2019 at 15:28 Posted on Planning 0 18

Firstly, I'm starting this thread more for amusement, because it seems to me that the best way of coping with some of the wedding planning that doesn't go the way you think, is to be able to just laugh at it! And I thought some of you might like this story - and have some of your own?

Before we sent out our proper invites (hand-made and took a lot of time), we wanted to double check with the potential guests if they still wanted to come to the wedding, since we'd asked them to save the date.

One of the invitees (not A list, but they were with my hubby-to-be on the first night we met, and we had sentimental thoughts around inviting them), had been over the moon to be invited when we initially asked, and had said they would love to come.

When we asked before sending out the official invites if they were still wanting to attend, she said - WAIT FOR IT - that it would depend on the next season's football fixtures, to see if there was a home game (for her OH's team) on the same day as our wedding! HAHAHAHAHA. He apparently doesn't even miss a home game, no matter what, and their lives revolve around it.

Obviously, I just said well I'll take that as a "no" then - because who values their own wedding that little, that they are willing to wait it out to see if it comes second to a football match? My hubby-to-be actually told me to just not even reply, he was so offended, but I just saw it as an opportunity to invite a new set of friends who I really wanted there.

Still, IMHO it comes pretty high in really shoddy reasons for not being able to commit to someone's big day!

What has been your most amusing or incredulous decline/non-committing answer? Have you been able to laugh it off, and just think - well, there's another friend who will appreciate this?

18 replies

Latest activity by Missus_Mop, 2 of May of 2019 at 10:42
  • D
    Beginner June 2019
    Durhamchance ·
    • Hide content

I’m not laughing, but am still feeling very annoyed at most of my family. All of which received save the dates, most of which are not coming with no reasons given! I feel very unpopular right now.

but two of my aunts have been in touch to say they will come to the evening do, but not the whole day?! One of them is travelling over 3hrs to get here? What’s the point?!

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :-( How far in advance did you give them the save the date? Has there been any family upset?

I hope you have some very good friends coming, though, and will still enjoy your day with them? Yes, seems pointless that your aunts will be only coming to the evening. I'm not having a separate evening do, which saves anyone making that excuse. But you have my total sympathies on this - I feel sad for you!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Don’t hold it against anyone who can’t make it for whatever reason. Weddings aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. A lot of members of my family suffer from bad anxiety, depression and 2 are recovering alcoholics so I know that the thought of coming to a social event like a wedding would totally stress them out. People aren’t always honest with their reasons for not coming and might make up something silly because they don’t want to be honest and say that weddings aren’t their thing. It’s only one day, you’ll see them again another time after your wedding.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I go to a lot of weddings as I'm a photographer. One day, I was seated with the guests on a table and the man next to me wasn't there. So I asked "Where's Dave, is he ill today?"

Turns out his mum is on the table, she replied, "No, he's stayed at home so he can take the dog out."

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

My partner used the dog as an excuse not to go to a wedding and I went on my own but I was quite happy as I know he wouldn’t have enjoyed himself in the slightest if he’d went and we don’t have anyone we can ask to walk the dog when we’re not there so it is a valid excuse in my book :-)

• R
    Beginner May 2019
    RomanticBlueHair36750 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was , very sorry but we have a meal to go to at McDonald's , H2b usher.

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the dog is fair enough, to be honest! Which reminds me that we still need to sort a minder for our own dog, lol!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't really matter how happy you are to no show a wedding is EXCEPTIONALLY rude... the bride and groom probably lost a lot of money on that mans horrible manners and could have invited someone else to enjoy their day (many couples have tight guest list and cant invite everyone they want)

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I LOL'd at the dog excuse! I've used the cat as excuse to not go on nights out before - but she was sick and had just been put on antibiotics. If the dog (or cat, and I suppose kid ?) got sick suddenly, I would totally understand someone not attending, but to not show up when the place has been paid for because you didn't organise care is so rude!

We had a good one from my fiance's usher. My fiance met him for a night out and gave him his invite, and he said he couldn't come because it was weird to be there without his ex-wife, plus they had a pact to not attend weddings separately following their split. They split up over a year ago! I was so angry! He has now said he was drunk and of course he wouldn't miss it. Hasn't RSVP'd yet though...

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content

Yes I agree, absolutely rude and inconsiderate to not show up on the day when it wasn't simply because you didn't get organised. I think I'd just write someone out of my life who did that. That'swhy invites to weddings come with a long lead!

It's also obviously up to people to decline for whatever reason they want, but some reasons certainly provide insight into the value of the relationship with that person.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content

Totally agree! We've not had any proper declines yet (other than the usher who has apparently got his priorities straight now) but the RSVP deadline is next week, and my Uncle has yet to reply - or even send me a message acknowledging the invite! I invited him and his wife and 2 children to be polite, so I'm going to give it until June and if I haven't heard anything, I'll send him a message saying 'I guess you can't make it, sorry about that, I will allocate your seats to another guest'.

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we've had one which is H2B's cousin and partner, who never even acknowledged the invite and haven't spoken to us personally, but we heard wind from H2B'S aunt that they're not likely to come because of house moving - so we'll be reallocating their invite. But it takes one minute to let us know! People are really so uncourteous at times.

There are quite a few who don't seem to get that just telling you they'll be there doesn't means anaccepted RSVP! We want it on our wedding website, dammit ?

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my god, this a million times over!! I set up a website for RSVPs - I made my own invites as we're on a budget, so instead of including tons of info cards and RSVP cards, which people just lose, literally all they have to do is click on a website. All of the info for local B&B's, taxis, how to get there, times - it's all there.

So many people have asked, where can we stay, where do we make menu choices, how do we get there... My response to all (more or less) has been look on the website, it's all there and I didn't make it for the fun of it! I want to have everything all in one place so that I know exactly where I am, because dammit if this planning malarkey isn't stressful enough! ?

The only exception has been some technophobe elderly guests who I've accepted verbal RSVPs from. X

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

For the people with no RSVP's or acknowledgements have you checked they did actually get an invite?

many go lost in the post and Ive seen many brides think they weren't getting RSVPs only to learn that some guest hadn't received an invite, they only find out when someone has phoned up upset that great uncle Iain or someone didn't get an invite

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alisha, for all the invites we posted, we sent messages to recipients asking if they'd been received. For others, we either hand delivered them or asked a relative or friend to. For one we hadn't had any acknowledgement for, we know his mum gave him the invite. But he's neither texted, called, nor RSVPd. Hey ho!

• S
    Beginner May 2019
    SorrentoBride ·
    • Hide content

We're not having a full blown wedding, we're going abroad alone, but we have organised a meal out with close family the weekend after we return. My parents are coming, my brother, sister in law and nephew are travelling from down south, my niece and her husband are travelling from up north and my fiance's mum is coming. However, my fiance's only brother, sister in law and niece are not attending as they have to go to some footbal thing that their daughter wants to go to in the afternoon. We said, fine, the meal is at 8.30pm, drive up afterwards, the response was 'Can't you change it to the Sunday?' Er, no, everyone else is all organised for the Saturday. So they're not coming. My fiance is so cross, he feels snubbed by his only brother, as this event is effectively our wedding reception, a once in a lifetime event, and his brother would rather go to a kid's football thing.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content

Yep, we've checked with everyone that they have been received too. The missing Uncle has now RSVP'd.

We've had a few more the last couple of days. Sadly one of my uni friends can't come as she is moving to Switzerland to teach and won't be able to make it back.

We're going to bump up one of my fiance's friends and his wife instead ?

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SERIOUSLY?! OMG, wtf is wrong with people? I'm sure there will be many more football things in the life of your future brother-in-laws daughter!

At least in our case, the people I mention are not close, or immediate family. Some people just really haven't got a clue about priorities. And wanting to organise your wedding meal to fit around them!!!! I would be so cross too - your poor H2B :-(

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, we've had a few more in the last few days - all closing in, now, lol. Likewise, one of my very good friends who lives abroad can't come because she has found out she is pregnant, and due close to the wedding (GOOD reason to decline, so happy for her!). We have bumped up my cousin's two young adult children ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics