Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rizzo
Beginner July 2011

What Has Been/Was Your Biggest Wedding Trauma?

Rizzo, 1 April, 2011 at 12:45 Posted on Planning 0 15

After a rough couple of days, I was wondering what everyone's biggest trauma/problem was when planning your wedding.

I think I just need reassurance that I will get through this, by looking at your examples and finding out how you came through to the other side.

15 replies

Latest activity by Mynnie the Moocher, 1 April, 2011 at 15:53
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Telling my MIL2B that I wouldn't actually be the next Mrs Brown. Telling my Mum that I wasn't inviting all my first cousins, only the ones I like/know (massive Irish family).

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

MIL's wine "issue" for sure. Still dont know what the craic is with it and i dont bloody care too hoots. Not a jot, one iota, nada, nowt ?

Your having a rough time at the min Moo, you will be grand ?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Me and the OH having differing opinions on who should pay for the wedding. Caused major ructions!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Mine was when my dress shop went bust after i had paid in full for my dress and they hadn't paid the suppliers for it!! Was a few weeks of trauma but I bought my dress direct from manufacturers and got the money back through the bank so it all worked out in the end!

Not really similar to what you are going through but at the time i was in bits and couldnt see how it would be resolved and I ended up paying less for my dress than I had originally! i hope your situation works itself out!

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Current issue with 28 days to go.....Chief BM has put on weight and her dress doesnt fit, so much so that they cant take it out enough and are going to need to totally re design the dress.......grr! (shes now on a diet by the way!!)

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cant you leave dress as it is, let the diet do the work!?

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Nope, diets work....but not miracles!! Slightly concerned!

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww no Naboo! Glad u got it sorted. This happened to my sis in 2002. She'd paid for her dress and 5 bridesmaid dresses. The company went bust and my sis had to buy back her dresses from where the dresses went to. I don't think she got the money back she'd originally paid - so ended up paying near enough double!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This just made me think of that line in Bride Wars "you don't alter Vera Wang, you alter yourself to fit Vera"!

Naughty bridesmaid! I was paranoid about weight gain before my friend's wedding last year and made sure I kept an eye on it!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Mooey ? I read about some of your problems, you WILL get through it and have a fabulous wedding day.

The main issue I had (and keep banging on about ?) is that my Nan wasn't coming because she doesn't want to leave her dog. It really upset me, especially as she blurted it out when I was double checking what meat she could eat! My mum has since convinced her to come for the ceremony, but she's leaving before dinner. It just upsets me that she doesn't really want to come and had to be convinced, especially as she went to my sisters. My other Nan, who is considerably older is coming and even offered to phone my Nan up to ask her what the problem was.

Otherwise, my older sister (a bridesmaid) is generally awkward. She is thoroughly stressing me out about my hen weekend, wanting to know what time people will stay out til and what the precise plan is for every second. I want my hen to be as relaxed as possible, no chance! I'm getting stressed just typing about it ?

x

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Fizzypop, could she get a dog sitter for the day?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Probably, but she wouldn't do that. To be honest, I think the dog is an excuse and she just doesn't want to come x

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

My biggest wedding trauma was cancelling my first venue and booking another one, only to find my cousin's fiance had booked the same venue for three weeks before our wedding!

Some people it wouldn't bother, I am a spoilt little cow and it did bother me ?

Anyhoo - I ended up booking the most perfect venue I've ever seen in my life, so it all turned out for the best! xx

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Mine although its not really that big a deal is that I couldnt find a venue that we could afford everywhere I looked was either too expensive or just not right. After several months of dis-heartened searching I finally found the perfect venue.

On another note MIL2B doesnt get weddings and invitations and that you send them regardless so ppl can reply!

She also doesnt get that its our wedding and we have what we want not what other ppl want. She worries too much about upsetting people as some people are only coming to the night. She thinks they should come even though its my parents footing the bill for reception and OH's parents not giving us a penny! Needless to say its stressing me out but at end of day my mam has budgeted and its just tough lol!!

Also telling me to have my OH's cousin as BM who I have only met once so said no thankfully OH agrees with me. On a similar note my mam told my cousin she could be BM and she is so excited I now dont have the heart to tell her no. My big issue with this is that no cousins are coming to day due to huge family and costs so I dont see why she should be exception. I also have 3 best friends who are BM's who I have known for a number of years and know will still be around in years to come and just wanted the 3 of them! I havent even mentioned being bridesmaid to my cousin but dont wanna hurt her cos of my mams big mouth!

Anyways rant over as im winding myself up!

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

When we first started planning, our biggest problem was finding a hotel to stay in in the run up to the wedding.

We'd booked the flights and the wedding venue and rooms for the couple of nights either side, but wanted where we stayed before to be a bit more of a democratic process for the other couples coming over with us, so left booking anything until everyone had decided if/when they were coming. What I didn't realise is that I'd actually managed to book in over the Easter holidays and ANZAC day.....massive WhoopS!? - the whole of WA have a week off, and most of them appear to be holidaying in Bali![:'(]

After a very stressful few weeks where we had visions of staying in some grotty dive, our best man's wife's sister (still with me?!) found us somewhere in a different area of the island......and it's better than the places we were looking at originally! She originally offered it as a safety-net as she could book it for us through her work without needing a deposit, but when we looked we found one of their mini suites with a fab four-poster bed and I fell in love with it. So our hotel has been booked on the strength of a bed!!! It had better be comfy or I'm in BIG trouble!!?

Other than that, my major trauma has been finding shirts for the best man and my Dad. They won't be wearing suits because of the heat, so I wanted them in linen shirts - plain, pale pink ones. I may as well have been looking for gold-plated ones with how hard it's been to find any!! Originally I saw some in Next, but by the time I'd managed to get my Dad to make up his mind and give me his shirt size, they'd sold out. I went through about another 3 or 4 from other companies that all turned out to be anything but pink once they arrived (one lot were a sort of glow in the dark salmon colour! Lovely!?) before finding some last October that would do as a fall back option if we couldn't find anything else. My Dad refuses to try his on, saying that it'd be fine as the label was right.

Fast forward to about 3/4 weeks ago when I finally bully him into trying it on...........it doesn't fit!? So I spend a frantic week searching everywhere for pink shirts that weren't £100 each (and even considered either changing our colours or buying the £100 pink shirt for OH and finding some plain white ones for the boys). Finally find some pink ones on a website that were previously a bit too expensive, but they have an offer on.......put in the code for the discount and it doesn't work, so I email them late on Friday night. They respond on the Monday afternoon to tell me they've fixed the problem, but by then they've sold out of the pink in the size I need. I email them back with my sob-story to ask if they'll be having any more in and they're not, but the wonderful lady in their customer services dept has managed to find me the last two in the world (her words!).? She got them shipped out to me super quick and they're fabulous! And I've bullied Dad into trying this one on too, just to make sure it fits!? (use of bouncy-man well and truly justified, I think!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics