Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2015

What have you chosen for your wedding breakfast?

Aquiescence*, 29 of October of 2014 at 10:26 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hello,

Just out of interest really.....

We had the initial idea of antipasti sharing platters for a starter (cold meats, cheese, olives etc) and a sharing roast meat joint on the table for guests to carve, or a buffet. We are now rethinking the starter as our wedding is April so may be quite cold, so we were thinking about a soup instead.

What have you gone for and how did you decide?

18 replies

Latest activity by MissJag, 29 of October of 2014 at 17:08
  • I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Ours is April too. Starter is goats cheese salad or haddock brandade, main course beef brisket or butternut squash risotto, dessert is sticky toffee pudding and ice cream.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

We've gone for hot canapés instead of starter- reduces the time people are 'doing nothing', stops them getting hungry and was cheaper! We are then having platters of beef, Yorkshire puddings, roast pork, stuffing and apple sauce served to tables for people to help themselves to with roast potatoes and veggies. Dessert is wedding cake, for two reasons- it was £200 cheaper than a dessert, which I didn't fancy any of anyway and secondly we've been to so many weddings where the cake never gets eaten! There will be plenty of cake left over for the evening guests too- we will be keeping two tiers so they can see it before serving it with the evening buffet. Our wedding is in December so didn't want a cold meal for that reason.

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    Rebeccafcr ·
    • Hide content

Ours is October... so we've gone for:

Veg Soup to start

Roast Sirloin of Beef with duck fat roast potatoes for main

and Profiteroles for desert.

Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Mmm making my mouth water! Goats's cheese salad is my favourite. Hot canapes sounds like a great idea. Lots of inspiration before we make our final choices!

We are doing a dessert table - the caterer will make a couple of big desserts, probably a hot one like sticky toffee pudding and a creamy one like etone mess - we will then ask a few friends to contribute cakes. As yet undecided on whether to have a wedding cake as well for the evening.

We will also be doing part of out evening buffet ourselves to make it cheaper. (getting in lots of cheese and crackers and breads, caterer to provide charcuterie and salads)

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

We're having afternoon tea for our wedding breakfast. Going to have separate savoury and sweet tiers so no one eats all the cake before people have eaten sandwiches Smiley smile.

Our venue have said they're going to keep replenishing the trays until people don't want anymore so it'll be like a posh buffet! Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    Brooksy ·
    • Hide content

Mmm... sounds yummy! for me, I would rather have the sharing platter than soup any time of year, and April could be nice and warm.

We have our tasting session on Monday but so far the likely choice is (with veggie/dietary options when required):-

Starter - Ham hock terrine with pineapple chutney

Main - Lemon & rosemary roast poussain with mediteranean(sp?) veg, roast potatoes & salsa verde

Dessert - Chocolate & orange marquise with orange sorbet and jaffa cake crumb

We found it really difficult to decide - initially we wanted a buffet, but we have since seen the set up in the venue for a buffet and the food is right opposite the top table, people are basically queing right infront of the bride and grrom - it looks awful! Our caterers said to us basically 'have whatever you want', which was great but I couldnt think of a single thing! They gave us 3 sample menus to look at, none of which sounded that great - ok but basic and not really what we wanted, so I started going through menus we had from other venues we had visited and picked out a few things we liked the sound of, and then between us and the caterers we tweeked them and came up with some dishes that I really wanted to eat! We have tried to think of our guests as much as possible and choose something that most people will eat - that was our main consideration.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We are having tapas canapes rather then starters while people are having drinks, not having a starter but big paella pans served buffet style with a roasted red pepper and tomotoe salad and a green salad (we provide that). Desert is cake and cheese cake.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

We gave this a lot of thought. We wanted to be able to offer a choice for our guests, and as the total number is only around 30 felt that was reasonable. Our venue agreed. We decided to go for a safe menu because we wanted all our guests to enjoy the food and not feel they didn’t like this, or couldn’t eat that. We can eat what we like any old time, but eating with our guests all together like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. So it was important to us that everyone enjoyed their meal rather than it being stunningly amazing cordon bleu cuisine or something very personal to us.

Our guests range from 80+ to 3 months old J And what’s interesting, is that almost to the letter, we’ve accurately predicted who would choose what.

We opted for:

Starters – Chicken Liver Parfait, Melon, Homemade Cream of Vegetable soup.

Main – Roast Turkey or Roast Welsh Beef – both with the usual trimmings.

Desert – Apple Pie or Sticky Toffee Pudding.

There is a children’s menu for the kiddies and one adult who is uber picky is having sausages.

There’s also half a bottle of wine per person with extra fizz for those that will love it, and we’re arranging with the venue for them to have a cask of the local beer that H2B and the boys love.

Bacon butties and chips will be served about 9.00pm and there is of course cake.

Before the breakfast though we are having a picnic with finger food and fizz Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We only have 11 guests so we've just booked a local restaurant, but they're insisting on us having the 'wedding' menus. I really just wanted their regular evening menu cos a) I don't want a big fuss and b) they had some really good vegan choices. I wish I hadn't told them it was for after our wedding now...

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why do you "have" to have a different menu because it's a wedding? If you were a massive party fair enough - but you're not. I'd challenge them on it. We've been quite brave with our venue and only yesterday negotiated a 50% reduction in the cost of breakfast for guests. We agreed we would be giving choices because we were a relatively small group. But yours is a very small and perfectly formed number. I would ask them exactly why you have to have the wedding menu. Could you cancel and re-book it even in another name? Smiley winking

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately we've paid a deposit now so I can't cancel. It was at the time I called to pay it that the woman insisted to me that it has to be the wedding menu and I was a bit taken aback. I wish I'd had the foresight to hold off paying and cancel and re-book! But hey ho. The guy apparently is gonna send me menus, so maybe then I can do a bit of negotiating.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely negotiate! If you explain that you wanted the regular menu for the vegan options I'm sure they'll be ok with it if you insist- you are the bride after all!

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

When we booked the package, we went with their preferred caterer, for ease really. We had a flick through the menu and sort of chose from those and we were quite happy with that.

When we actually met with the caterer, he just asked us out right 'what is your favourite starter/main/dessert.'

So we got to choose our favourite dishes! Such a result! Im so glad... as we came up with ideas, he was throwing in other ideas, like a port wine sauce instaead of red wine with the paork etc.

Starter:

Open goats cheese tarlet on a bed of rocket

Fish cake with sweet chilli sauce

Main:

Slow roasted pork belly served with dauphinois potatos and a port jus

Chicken supreme with a white wine and mushroom sauce and vegetables

Dessert (everyone gets both of these):

Duo of desserts - Warm Chocoloate fudge brownie with vanillia ice cream &

Créme Brulée

We have our menu tasting on 4th november - cant wait!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is nov 21 2015

We have got warm canapes 3 pp

For starter we have a choice of soup( not sure what yet ideas welcome!! :-)) and a warm winter salad (warm meat and dressing)

for our main we are having (posh) pie and mash with seasonal veg. We have a choice of three pies, a game pie, ham and chicken and a cheese and leak one. (Pie and mash is one of our favourite winter dinners)

for pudding we will just be serving the three different flavour wedding cakes I make. Which are is strawberries and champagne, carrot cake and Victoria

we have very fussy guests but we have decided to do what we like. There is always someone who won't be happy.

we have our taste testing on the 8th of november. Which we are looking forward to.

everyones food sounds yummy.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, these choices look lovely!

Our menu tasting isn't until Jan 6th, and I really can't wait to go and see what they are going to have for us!

We were given sample menus when we first booked, but were told we couldn't choose until nearer the time in case of a change of head chef or whatever. It is such a big part of the whole day, it seems weird that we haven't yet looked at it properly, when lots of the tinier details of the day have long since been sorted!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We had sharing platters of antipasti for our starters and they went down an absolute treat. We also had seafood platters (oysters and king prawns) as they were local specialities and even though the seafood wasn't to everyone's taste, everyone commented on how nice it was to have a big platter for the table.

The main was beef tenderloin with truffle mash and the dessert was a white chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis.

• km329
    Savvy August 2021
    km329 ·
    • Hide content

We decided on Canapés with a glass of fizz on arival

and some good homely food for wedding breakfast of

starter - Vegetable broth

Main - Roast Turkey/Beef sunday lunch

Desert - Chocolate cheescake

followed by coffee and mints

Followed by cocktails to bridge the gap inbetween wedding breakfast and evening reception

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hog roast rather than a sit down meal. We get three other dishes with it so guests have a choice but we haven't chosen them yet. We also get three desserts but, you guessed it, haven't picked them yet. I'll be avoiding the chocolate fudge cake, though, as our wedding cake is chocolate.

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MissJag ·
    • Hide content

We are only having an evening reception, having 90 guests after getting married the day before at a registry office with just 25 family there. After the registry office the family are going to a pub for a late lunch. For the following evening I wanted more than just a sandwich and sausage roll type buffet so decided to go with a hot buffet. We were a bit unsure with our choice but decided it was so us so went for it anyway. We are having Paella, with seafood, pork and chicken with vegetarian option too. This is served with green salad, potato salad, couscous salad, and roasted peppers and bread. We are putting bottles of red and white wine on the tables, tables of 8s and 10s each with one bottle of red and 2 white on. We have glasses prosecco for the toast. Not having a pudding just cutting and serving our wedding cake. Wanted to keep it all low key so thought this was plenty. Wedding is next Friday so to late to change now anyway!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics