Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

What i have learnt so far in planning my own wedding

Sarah, 21 of September of 2022 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 1 1

Just for fun and for any new people starting out here are a few things I have learnt in my first year of being engaged and planning the wedding - feel free to add your own Smiley smile

1. The excitement after you initially book your important things will fade as there is less and less to organize.. I was super jazzed and non stop for a while but now I have had months of not needed to do or look at anything to do with weddings as all the main stuff is sorted which in some ways has been nice but I know in December / Jan when important stuff like giving notice to marry, buying rings, sending out invites etc need to happen I will be full of Wedding joy again!

2. Either no-one will be as interested in your wedding as you and you may feel disappointed OR everyone will have an opinion on your decisions. Stick to your decisions and if needs be keep them to yourself! Also a side note this is you may tell people about your colour scheme / flowers / food then they ask again like you have not told them before? Smiley amazing

3. Trying on and buying your wedding dress on your own is not that bad!

4. Get multiple quotes for seamstress (if you are not using the one from the bridal shop) I have saved myself £280 and much happier and confident with my new seamstress.

5. Don't expect your partner (and yes I'm mainly taking about the men lol) to be as excited as you, they are a different breed and may need a nudge every now and again. It doesn't mean they are not excited (I'm at the stage of mentioning choosing suit colours every few weeks now)

6. Don't send out Save the Dates or Invites too early (We sent our save the dates way to early.. Jan 2022 for June 2023 wedding) we now hardly speak to some of the people we have invited and if I had my time again I wouldn't invite them Smiley atonished

7. Keeping a spreadsheet and timeline of what you have booked / paid / outstanding balances is really helpful.

1 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 22 of September of 2022 at 12:07
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Agree with all of this! Especially number 6! If I had our time again there would be a few we would not have invited as 5 months after our wedding we have not spoke to so many people who were at our wedding, one of my Bridesmaid included! Is such a shame as there are others I would have invited so when you are limited for numbers you really need to thing hard about who you want on your day, it is not a competition and it is OK to have less, which in hindsight I would have been happier with in terms of intimacy of our ceremony.

My biggest learning curve was not to tell too many people details as the opinions, my god! Whilst i stood my ground on certain aspects it does make it more stressful when people want to stick their nose in and you find your self questioning choices and decisions. Again in hindsight, i would have just said it is a surprise when people asked about elements that may cause opinions.

Lastly, the thing to remember through all of it is that it is YOUR day and you do what you want, traditions.expectations of others do not matter, as long as you 2 are happy that is the main thing and stuff anyone else's opinion!

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Very, very good advice!

I think point 4 is actually really valuable for most key suppliers. And if you can, always speak in person before making a decision on a supplier - especially for things like photographers.

I'd also add price up the difference and consider the time needed to invest in DIY vs buying/hiring an item. If you aren't naturally crafty, and don't want to spend every spare weekend covered in hessian and glue dots then DIY may not always end up being the best option.

Hope you continue to enjoy your wedding planning journey! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics