Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

What is a good carat size for diamond?

moonpie1985, 8 April, 2012 at 20:22 Posted on Planning 0 14

My engagement ring is a vintage ring that was in the family and handed down to me. My OH got it restored for me a few years ago.

It is an unusual design and currently has a diamond that is approx 0.1 carat.

Now that money is not as tough as it was when we got engaged he is looking into the possibility of changing the diamond to a slightly larger one. (not too large ad he ring wouldn't suit it and

I have small fingers)

We would then have the original diamond made into a necklace.

Just wondering hat people consider to be a nice size of diamond?

We are currently looking at .30 of a carat, but thinking this could be too large and whether to go for a 1/4 carat instead.

14 replies

Latest activity by moonpie1985, 9 April, 2012 at 15:58
  • Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I think it all depends on hand /finger size and the style of ring. I have small hands and a plain solitaire ring, we looked at all different sizes and decided on either a 0.25 ct or a 0.30 ct.

My ring was a surprise but he got me a 0.33ct Smiley smile and its perfect X x

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 0.3 which i love, i think its big enough but not too big, but if yours is an antique which had a small stone i would be wary of going too large. think you'd need to see them tbh

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Bit of a weird site, but it has pictures of all sizes of diamonds set as a solitaire on a ladies finger. Kind of a useful guide when deciding what rough size you're after. Sorry the link won't be clickable as I'm on my phone.

http://www.engagementringguru.com/diamond_carat_size_on_hand_the_most_commond_diamonds_0_5_to_0_99_carats.shtml

I didn't choose my ring but it's a 0.6ct and I think looks quite substantial on my size k finger!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

It will depend on style of the setting and ring, but also, you have to allow yourself time to get used to the new size stone. I have a 0.8 carat diamond and in Feb boy treated me to a ring of 0.2 (ish...) diamonds all around the edge in a sort of frame and a couple of little baguettes on the shoulders. I was SO blinkin' excited, but when I picked it up I was devastated as it just seemed so over the top and just too big (I have long thin fingers, a size K). Anyway, I had the band slimmed down which made it look a bit more delicate and then I wore it for a few weeks and now I LOVE it - it doesn't seem to big at all and I don't think it looks too big either. Just make sure you let yourself 'get used to' the new size diamond - don't do yourself out of a big ol' sparkler just yet ?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Completely depends on you and your taste, plus what friends you have around you. I have some who claim they wouldn't accept anything less than 1.5 from Tiffany's/Boodles, which I think is rather demanding!

I don't often wear jewellery on my hands and so didn't want anything massive or showy. Mine is 0.46 (once upon a time I told OH I would never want more than 0.5!) and is perfect for me! I'll try to find a pic later.

Don't forget though, that the cut will affect how big it actually looks - a pear cut 1 carat will be much "larger" than a brilliant cut one.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Deffo what helenia said. its all about the cut.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Yep, how long is a piece of string?! I have fairly large hands (not man-hands though!) and my ring has 5 stones on it; each stone is 1/4 carat and they are about 4mm diameter each. For my hand, I wouldn't have wanted less than 4mm width band, so if the diamonds themselves hadn't filled the width of my finger, I'd have needed a chunky band. My ring size is N - I don't think someone with smaller fingers could wear a chunky ring like mine.

Even though the total carats on my ring is 1.25, I wouldn't want a single 1.25 carat diamond, just way too big, so I'd suggest trying lots on and discuss it with your jeweller.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Depends, you need to try some on or have a browse online maybe. Mine is 0.62 to be precise and on a slim band, it is the perfect size for me, not too big and not too small...I'm a size j in the uk I think. My friend has a 1 carat so almost double the size but she has larger fingers than me and is generally just a bigger build and wears bigger jewellery etc whereas I wear quite simple delicate things usually, just personal taste. Also remember that just because one diamond is bigger than another it doesn't mean it is better/nicer especially if it is the same price or cheaper...it's the clarity that counts.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I agree it depends on the cut and setting. Mine is .75 but as it is recessed rather than standing proud it doesn't look too huge. I wouldn't say know to a 1 carat marquis diamond but not practical with a young active child.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Mine's a 0.5 carat marquise cut diamond with a platinum cage setting.

I think it's about as large as I would have gone without it looking OTT flash in size. Saying that tthough it really does depend on setting and cut. My friends is a full 3 carat solitare on a minimal setting and it looks really classy.

Here's mine...

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 0.6 carat on a simple delicate band, and I've got slim fingers (G and a half). I love it. Wouldn't want any bigger though and just having a very simple wedding band (plain).

To be honest, I think you have to go and try them on to know what you like and what suits you. I pondered tiny diamonds in my wedding band but it just was really OTT for my little hands when I tried one on.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Here we are - this is 0.46 brilliant cut in a trilogy setting. I have relatively large hands for a girl (M 1/2):

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

This is mine. It's roughly .4 of a carat. I chose it myself and I love it! It's surprisingly delicate considering it's elaborate design. My hand is a size L. Mine is vintage also. I think if you put a bigger diamond in it, it would look fine as long as it wasn't too large. The size you've suggested sounds absolutely reasonable for the setting you described.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Helenia my ring is really similar except the side stones are diamond too. My centre stone is 0.5 carat and the pear cut stones are 0.1 carat, I'm a size M too and felt the trilogy style suited my sausage fingers much better than a solitare.

I'd agree with everyone that you need to try some on as the cut of the ring and the setting make a huge difference to how it looks.

I didn't want a ring much bigger than 0.5 carat because I never used to wear rings but I have friends who wouldn't even consider a diamond less than a carat! Within a set budget I would always prefer a small sparkly ring than a massive one with a dull diamond so have a look at different colour/clarity diamonds within your price range.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies.

I will pop to the jeweller who is making my wedding band at the moment and ask to see some different sizes in the flesh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics