Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Justkeepswimming
Beginner July 2016

What is an appropriate RSVP date

Justkeepswimming, 27 of October of 2015 at 00:08 Posted on Planning 0 16

How far in advance before the wedding do you need to know the final numbers? For example I am getting married next July, and sending my invites out in the next few weeks,what RSVP date should I ask for them to be returned by?

thanks!

16 replies

Latest activity by kay_, 29 of October of 2015 at 13:09
  • Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm also getting married in July. I won't be sending my invites out until Feb/March time and have asked for RSVP's two months before the wedding so May. This will give me time to sort the table plan and pay final balances one month before.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for 15th November for a 31st December wedding. But I'm worrying I haven't left enough time to chase people as we are outstanding a lot of RSVPs and have to confirm numbers and pre-orders a month before.

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

Give your self plenty of time to chase people. We went for a month before but seriously regretting not making it at least 6 to 8 weeks before. We assumed people would reply sooner but still waiting for replies from about 65%. Would love to start table plan, finalise number of centre pieces with florist and order the favours but still don't have a clear enough idea of numbers :-(

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We're July too and are also asking for responses 2 months before the wedding. Our venue needs final numbers 1 month before, so that gives me a month to chase anyone who hasn't responded and get all the food choices etc put together ready to be sent over.

• B
    Beginner February 2016
    BearFeb2016 ·
    • Hide content

I opted for quite early. We're getting married at the end of February and have asked for all incites to be back before the end of October. Christmas got in the way a little for us, but i wanted to get them early for my own sanity,

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

We get married 21st April 2016, (hopefully) sending out invites at beginning of December with RSVP date 31st January. Our ceremony is on a Thursday, so figured we needed to give people enough time to book the day off work if their holiday rota runs Jan - Dec.

Just need to order the invites now... ?

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    Steepdene ·
    • Hide content

We get married on 25 June 2016 and our invites are going out in January 2016 with an RSVP of 1 May. Our venue needs to know numbers 2 weeks in advance. I'm sending them out quite early because we are getting married in a hotel and there are guest rooms available on the wedding night, with a discount for early booking. I wanted to give people a chance to book early if they want/need a room - it's also quite an expensive room cost, so people may need to save the funds!! Weddings are expensive for the guests too!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

We asked for them to come back to us from the 1st August after sending them at the end of may.

This was mainly due to us having a busy august so we would not able to really chase people until September and we had to give numbers by the end of September.

The 8 weeks before final numbers were needed was really helpful to us as even when we chased people took some back to us.

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Rivervale give guidance on this in the book they give you on the show around I think, I can have a look when I'm home. On my planner doc from them, I have a date of 15th June for 'final details' & wedding is on 31 July. So I think they work to 1 1/2 months before. So probably will ask for my RSVPs back before 1 June (and then that allows for some people to RSVP late!).

One other thing, you might want to mention in your invite somewhere (if you have additional info) that guests need to collect their cars before 10am the next morning. So then if people want to leave their car at a nearby hotel and get a taxi to the venue, this might make more sense? Probably worth an e-mail to Hayley with your final invite design before you send them out, that's what I'm going to do!

Did you give people a choice of meals, standard & veggie? Or just ask for dietary requirements? I'm totally not sure what to do about that bit yet!

Kay

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

We are a May wedding, and we're sending out invites in late Jan/early Feb time (did the save the dates in July), out venue needs them 2 weeks before, but we are going to say 8 weeks before, which gives people 2 months, and then gives us a nice time cushion to nudge people if needed. Although I was tempted to put if no reply by X, we will assume that's a no after reading some horror stories, but have been correctly overruled.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your responses, you've reassured me that perhaps I don't need to send out the invites just yet. I just want to make sure I send them out in really good time because it's a Wednesday wedding so people may need to book time off work and sort out accomodation. we have sent out save the dates already, but only to the day guests.

2 months before the wedding for the RSVPs seems like the general consensus so I'll go with that, thanks!

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't decided on the wording for the invitations yet but I do plan on having an option on the RSVP part for veggie option of dietary requirements. Am I right in thinking that at Rivervale everyone has the same meal rather than getting an option? Good idea about the parking info too. I hadn't even thought of showing them my invitation before sending it! Perhaps I should?

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on 21st May 2016, we are sending invites just after Christmas (or will be giving them to people when we see them at Christmas) asking for them to RSVP by 11th March which is about 8 weeks before the wedding.

Hope this helps and it definitely is helpful to see what others are doing Smiley smile

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

I get married on 2nd july, our venue said to send them out in jan/feb time and RSVP to be back by April Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

We are making life overly complicated by having three separate RSVP dates!

We're getting married at the end of May but I have quite a lot of family living abroad so we are sending invites to them only in the middle of November, with an early January RSVP date. This gives them more time to book flights etc., but we also assume that many of them won't come. Once we get their RSVPs we will know how many of the rest of the guest list we can fit into the venue, so will send their invites mid-Jan with March RSVP, and we're ordering a few invites with a later RSVP date in case we have more declines than we expect, which would mean we could invite others that we wouldn't have had room for earlier.

So all told, everyone should have RSVPed by two months before the wedding.

• T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

@mkw Staggering the dates might be complicated but that does sound like a good idea actually. I'd rather avoid people knowing they were only on the 'reserve' list haha.

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It think so, I think you can give people a choice but it costs extra. But, surely we can give them the choice between the normal & veggie menu? In case they're not vegetarian but actually they prefer the sound of the veggie meals?

I was just going to e-mail Hayley with wording from invite to see if I've missed anything, hah. Maybe I'm being totally crazy though Smiley smile I'm just worried I'll miss something off. Maybe ask in your planning meeting and see what she says? It's so hard to know what to put and how to word everything. I'm currently making mine too, and I've re-written just the invite bit twice now, and I'm still researching what to do with all the additional info and the RSVP, ugh. Sometimes I wish I'd been invited to more weddings so I know what they should look like!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics