Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2012

What is father of the GROOM meant to wear?

mrshopper2b, 1 of April of 2012 at 18:47 Posted on Planning 0 18

My SiL-to -be is insisting that the father of the groom should have the same suit as the groom, best men (2), usher and my father, but I think it will look silly having so many people dressed exactly the same. They are wearing black morning suits with burnt orange ties (autumn colour scheme), groom wearing yellow tie but otherwise the same. What is the traditional / norm with father of the groom's outfit??

Update:

Thanks everyone. We've agreed same suits and having the father's wearing a different tie / waiscoat to the bestmen etc so it's not too much orange overload! It's definitely not about one father being more important than the other at all, we actually weren't planning on either of them wearing the same as the bridal party but we got a "hire four suits get one free deal" so decided to give that one to my dad as he'll be walking me down the aisle (obviously), and thought it would look good with him matching. His dad is doing a reading at the ceremony, as we want both sides to play a role in the big day.

18 replies

Latest activity by mrshopper2b, 1 of April of 2012 at 21:55
  • I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Loads of weddings i've been too, both dads have been in the same outifit as groom, best man etc. At our wedding the groom and best man are both wearing cravat waistcoat and tails. Our Dads and ushers are wearing normal suits and all having the same tie.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately my OH dad has passed but if he were here he would be wearing the same kilt etc as the rest of the wedding party

too me the father of the groom is more important than ushers

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

My OH's step-dad is wearing the same suit as my dad, the usher and best-man. My OH is wearing the same suit but a different coloured tie.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

The father of the groom does usually wear the same suits as the groom etc, as the groom's parents are also part of the bridal party ?

Alison x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

All men attending the ceremony and breakfast will be wearing evening suits (i.e black tuxedo bow tie etc)

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I know the FOG doesn't have an official role in the day so you may not see it that he is part of the wedding party but I do not see why he should not be in a suit the same as the FOB. I think you would be isolating him (can't think what other word to use) by not including him in the wedding party attire.

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    mrshopper2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that makes sense - hadn't really thought about him feeling "left out"!!

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Oh and welcome to hitched! ?

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

My OH Dad will be wearing his own suit. Only people in matching suits are groom, ushers and page boys (we're not having a best man).

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

OH's dad will be in the same outfits as all the men.

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wSS

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

Both dads, my OH and his best man will be in the same suits and my step dad will be wearing his kilt, luckily it matches our colours, otherwise he would have a suit the same too. Our ushers will be wearing whatever suits they have.

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

OHs dad is wearing the same suit as the rest of the bridal party. I think it's nice for them to, as Soulmates said he might feel left out if not.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

The same as the father of the bride, unless you think that one dad is more important than the other?

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

My FFIL is wearing the same suit as the ushers ect

• MrsT-tobe
    Beginner June 2013
    MrsT-tobe ·
    • Hide content

My father in law will be wearing the same suit as OH. x

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

All weddings I've been to the FOG always wears the same suit as the rest of the men in the bridal party and this is what we'll be doing too.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Same here my Dad will be wearing the same suit, waistcoat and cravat as the BM. OH and my son will be in long jackets.

• M
    Beginner September 2012
    mrshopper2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. We've agreed same suits and having the father's wearing a different tie / waiscoat to the bestmen etc so it's not too much orange overload! It's definitely not about one father being more important than the other at all, we actually weren't planning on either of them wearing the same as the bridal party but we got a "hire four suits get one free deal" so decided to give that one to my dad as he'll be walking me down the aisle (obviously), and thought it would look good with him matching. His dad is doing a reading at the ceremony, as we want both sides to play a role in the big day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics