Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2023 Surrey

What is it normal to pay for for the wedding party e.g like bridesmaids hair?

Sam, 4 of March of 2022 at 23:06 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 10
I am getting stuck on what it is normal to pay for for the wedding party e.g. like dresses and hair?

10 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 9 of March of 2022 at 16:55
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

There is no normal - some people pay ££££s, others ask their bridesmaids just to turn up in the dress of their own choice. As a general rule, if you are requiring a specific look (e.g. for them to wear makeup, have their hair up, wear a floor length pink dress) you should pay for it. If you are happy for them to sort their own look out, then you don't need to pay, but do have to accept you may not be happy with the look they choose.

Look at your budget & what you can afford and go from there.

• N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    I would say I’ve seen it done every which way, but as a general rule the more prescriptive you’re being then you should pay. For our bridal party we’ve given them colours and said choose what you like within those colours. That way everyone can get something they like, that suits they’re budget, and they’ll hopefully even be able to wear again. If we were insisting that they all had to be in the same suits/dresses, or that they had to have hair and makeup a certain way, then I would expect to pay for it.

But as I’ve said, I’ve seen it done all ways - when I was best woman for my friend he gave me a range of dresses to choose from and he paid for it. My partner was best man last year and his friend sent him links to the suit he wanted him to wear and we paid for it (it wasn’t expensive though). So it all depends on yours and your friends situations too
  • S
    Sam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for such good advice. I too am saying any dress same colour. Are you paying for their dresses?
  • S
    Sam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the great advice
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No, we’re asking them to pick what they like in a colour range, so letting them buy their own outfits ☺️
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    When I’ve been a BM (only twice) the dress was paid for both times and I supplied the shoes but that was because the dresses were floor length and shoes didn’t really matter. I did my own hair and make up for one of them and for the other we had someone to do hair for us and my sister who was the bride paid for that.
    I only have one adult BM (my sister) and the others are all kids aged 8-14 so I’m sorting all the dresses as obv they can’t! I will be paying of course and hair and make up isn’t really a big deal as they are only juniors.
    It really depends on what you want for the bridal party and your relationships with them. Anything goes these days!
  • xkimx007
    Beginner October 2022 South Yorkshire
    xkimx007 ·
    • Hide content

I've been bridesmaid and a few times and hair/makeup really depends. But dresses have always been paid for. Even if they are picking one out of a range of styles/colours. You have asked them to be bridesmaid at the end of the day so if that means a new dress should it come at their own expense? They are probably already spending money on things like hen dos etc.?

• S
    Sam ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks, yeah at the moment we are leaning towards a set amount for the dresses e.g like £100 because I’ve just said same colour whatever style but not doing hair makeup and shoes
  • xkimx007
    Beginner October 2022 South Yorkshire
    xkimx007 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I think that's a good call Smiley smile

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on paying for dresses, but likely will say they can wear whatever shoes they like and so they'll pay for those or wear something they already own. I've set myself a max budget of £150 per bridesmaid outfit, so if the dresses we go for come in way under then I may buy them their shoes.

I'm hoping to be able to treat my bridesmaids to having either their hair or make up done, but that'll likely depend on how frugal I manage to be with everything else!

I'm also planning on giving them gifts before the wedding, probably including necklaces which they can also wear on the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics