Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What is the average sizes of sample dresses for you to try on in bridal shops??

24 January, 2010 at 17:28 Posted on Planning 0 17

May seem like an odd question.... but after a discussion with my bridesmaid the other day that got married last year, I am now concerned that I wont be able to try any dresses on when I go dress shopping!!

I am currently a size 18 or 20 (depending on what shop I am in!!) and I am trying my very hardest to lose weight... I want to do 5stone in total.

My BM said that she heard someone in the shop where she got her dress from crying cos she couldnt fit into any of the samples so just had to imagine what the dresses looked like on.

I have set myself a goal that I wont go dress shopping until I have lost 3stone in toal (hopefully by the end of may/beginning of june) so hopefully I will be a few sizes smaller and be able to try dresses on.

Hadnt thought about it before but now it scares me and I keep having nightmares that I dont lose weight and then feel really stupid when I go dress shopping!!

Calm me down and put my mind at ease ladies!!!

17 replies

Latest activity by Suzie&Karl, 25 January, 2010 at 12:58
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Not wanting to make you miserable but I found the dresses all to be on the smaller size.

I'm a 12/14 usually (12 in dresses and tops and 14 in pants) and there were some dresses I couldn't get on. Including "dream dress" which in the end I had to discount as I couldn't get the damn thing on however much I tried to sqeeze myself in.

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry but the average size I tried on was probably about a 14. Mostly 12's and 14's. I may be unusual in that, though!

But I know there are places where they cater to 'larger' ladies who will have loads of dresses in your size and beyond! Hope someone near you will be able to suggest some!

• E
    Beginner August 2010
    esser1 ·
    • Hide content

Some wonderful larger sizes dress shops around like Heavenly Bodies Bridal Smiley smile

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire,

I have posted a couple of threads recently about this subject, as my BMs are all 'plus size' (I hate that term) - two 18/20s and a 26. Whilst shops near me had the odd sample in plus sizes, I had to go to a specific store so that my largest BM could try on dresses - although even then there was only 1 size 26 dress for her! The shop I went to did have a lot of 16/18/20s tho. Its http://amoreplus.co.uk/ in Rugby. I too live in Brum, so it was about an hour drive for me (although that was via Kenilworth to pick up a BM!). There was another in Notts that I was looking at for BM dresses - http://www.bridalwearplus.co.uk/enter.php

Like the others though, I found a lot of places had many dresses in 12/14 as samples. If you want to try on now maybe one of these shops would be worth a visit - even if its only for the fun of playing dress up!! lol

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Don't stress. There are many shops that stock larger dress sizes. Just do a quick google of shops in your area. A lot of the shops i went to worked wonders with lace backs and some extra bits if you needed to try on some smaller ones. Have fun shopping.

ETA - The dress i bought was stocked in a size 20 in one of the shops i went in to, so it's worth ringing round. That was a normal shop too.

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I understand your stress but you have got so long until your wedding, i wouldn't even think about dress trying on until about 12 months before your wedding never mind stressing about it!!! most of the dresses i tried on were a size 16 but some weren't and the shop lady just held it in place at the back for me, it was mostly the skirts that i had trouble getting into, but if i couldn't i just said "NO" and tried on the next thing. it is a good incentive to loose some weight but it can also make u feel like s**t at the same time.

• X
    Beginner July 2010
    xxxshellzyxxx ·
    • Hide content

Hey

dont let it get you down. When i went dress shopping alot of the dresses were really small and they couldnt get them on. some of them although smaller sizes they still tried on and done them up best they could to give me an idea of what they would look like. You are best going for a lace up back dress.

Another shop i went too only had larger sizes and they just padded them out in the back with sponges etc.

I am in the process of losing weight after having a baby and I am desperately trying to get back to my pre pregnancy size so i know how you feel but i promise you, you will not feel stupid.

Good luck xxx

• Mrs Tonner 2010
    Beginner June 2010
    Mrs Tonner 2010 ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry!!! I'm a size 18/20 dieting frantically! I had no problem at all trying dresses on in the shop i got mine from!

(The shop i tried before the woman looked me up and down and said "i assume you intend to lose weight")

I'm now hoping my dress isn't going to be too big, it's made to measure but i've lost weight since then :/ oops!

• B
    Beginner December 2010
    Bettydoo ·
    • Hide content

Hey! I've only just set my date so pretty new to Hitched, but I read your post and wanted to mention a bridal shop that I know stocks larger sizes and it's quite near Birmingham. Anyway, it's called The Gown Gallery and they have a website ://www.thegowngallery.co.uk/

I've been in the shop before with friends and they definitely had dresses in 18s and 20s, if not some larger than that. x

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hey Claire198421

Right When I tried on dress I found most shops told me the dresses I was trying on were 12's and 14's (weather this is true ot not I don't know I didn't look at any lables and refused to know whhat my measurments were wheni finally ordreed a dress) However lots of shops are more sensible I popped into a lovely shop over the weekend in Cheltenham who told me they stack all 14 and 16 sample sizes as they find this is the best way to let people try them on. As others have said lace up backs in particular are much more forgiving in the trying on department.

Looking at your ticker you have pleanty of time for dres shoppign so don't put pressure on yourself to loose weight give your self a littl bit longer before you get to the trying on stage and ring around the dress shops you want to try before you go, so that your shopping experience is a pleasure not a chore.

Most im[portantly don't let the numebr on a lable define how you feel about your dress, I have given up n defining myself as a size since the realisation hit home that depending where I shop an dwhat I am buying there is a 4 size difference in what fits me.

Have a fabulous shopping experience when you go and keep us all updated I am a sucker for wedding dress photos and have non of my own to look at so need other peoples!

x

• Kalin
    Beginner May 2011
    Kalin ·
    • Hide content

I to am a 18/20 so know how you are feeling!!?, but we have a shop in essex ( a bit far maybe lol) wear most of the samples are lace up backed and are made to fit anybody regardless of shape or size.. maybe a shop that actually makes the dresses would be a good idea as then they wouldnt be in standard sizes.

Dont let it get you down, it takes time for everyone to find the perfect dress regardless of size.

Dont feel presured into buying a dress because you are told its your only option this was said to me but i no that my dress is out there somewhere lol xx?

kelly x

• Kalin
    Beginner May 2011
    Kalin ·
    • Hide content

?

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire 198421

I have this problem too. I am a similar size to you and at first was concerned that i would have trouble fitting into anything when the time came.

I am hoping to be a size 14-16 when it comes to buying my dress, i have got 18months to loose about 5 stone and since i came back from my holiday on 9th Jan i have been trying really hard!

Try not to stress about it too much as it'll just make you feel worse and then are more likely to eat bad things! You can only do your best after all!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics