Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ohwhatatuesday
Beginner May 2014

What is your favourite part of a wedding as a guest?

Ohwhatatuesday, 11 of October of 2013 at 20:56 Posted on Planning 0 22

I think there's been similar posts in the past but I haven't seen one for a while and I love a good wedding so thought I'd start one

As a guest what are your favourite moments of a wedding day?

Mine are:

The bride's entrance, closely followed by the Bride and Groom's faces as they turn round after being married.

Father of the Groom's speech - especially when they're the perfect mix of really sweet and 'embarrassing dad' it's lovely to see how proud they are.

Having canapés - I love them and I also like that bit after the ceremony where you have canapés and a drink and have an opportunity to catch up with friends and congratulate the couple and everyone is really excited

22 replies

Latest activity by NathalieSB, 14 of October of 2013 at 15:12
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Music and dancing! The last few weddings I've been to have been friends or family of OH who I didn't know so couldn't really get swept up in the excitement of it, once the music started I got a bit more into them.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Getting dressed up, drinking champagne, seeing friends, dancing!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I love the anticipation of the bride's entrance when you know she's just about to enter and the music starts. I get really nervous for some reason. If I'm like that at someone else's wedding, I dread to think what I'll be like at my own...

I love the speeches, especially when the groom knows his bride so well. I get a bit disappointed when the groom doesn't put much effort into saying lovely things about the bride (I've seen it twice now!) needless to say, OH has been briefed sufficiently!

I love the anticipation of the first dance too, when everyone is a little hazy and just happy to see them together.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Not having a camera in my hands and actually being able to relax and take things in properly.

I haven't been to a wedding as a guest for years though, literally ☹️

I also like having an excuse to get all dressed up. Don't get the chance to do that often either.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Best Man's speech. Makes the wedding, plus finding out my godmother's son had a crush on my Modern Studies teacher priceless. My brother's best man let me have the slides from his speech, which I am holding for bribery purposes ?

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Love the brides entrance, seeing the grooms face when he sees her, reception drinks & mingling with people who I haven't seen for aaaages, and the party afterwards esp when it gives into the small hours and there's just a handful of "last ones standing" (if staying in a hotel) sitting around talking about random stuff before crawling to bed an hour before breakfast....and breakfast, when everyone is extremely hungover but still buzzing from the day before!! Smiley laugh

I love weddings!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

My fave part is seeing the groom's face when he first sees the bride. Priceless look.

But I do love the dinner, dancing and generally having a good time with friends!

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

Cake ??

Love speeches and seeing the grooms face (if he turns around) when the bride comes in. And after the first dance when everyone lets their hair down and goes wild! Shoes come off, men have their ties round their heads and everyones piled on the floor doing oops upside your head!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Haha JoJo - I knew one of yours would be the dress ? I do love that moment though. Especially now I've looked at dresses for myself, as I have started to be able to recognise designers and particular dresses

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Unless I'm super-close to the couple, it's the meal for me!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

The groom's face as the bride enters. The moment when they are saying their vows and they look up into each other's eyes. The look of joy and relief when they are proclaimed married, and process back down the aisle.

It's all about the ceremony for me. I have been to so many weddings where from this point on it becomes about something which is so alien to the couple themselves. But the ceremony....there's (almost*) always that moment where it is all from the heart.

I now that there is a certain expectation of drinks, canapés, photos, formal meal, speeches, drinks and dancing. If these don't reflect who the couple are then it is always slightly awkward. The ceremony itself. although formal, is always a window to the real feelings of the couple.

*we attended a wedding last year where that special look wasn't there, even for the ceremony. It was a beautiful wedding and party but somehow I knew it wasn't right (even though the couple were people we didn't really know well as we were friends of the parents of the bride). They split very soon (months) after. It showed even then :-(

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

The bride's entrance....it generally makes me cry!

The vows.

(the food) (the champagne and drinks reception) dancing and chatting to friends.

Seeing the cake.

First dance

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'm all about the ceremony, especially if it's a church one. The groom standing looking nervous/apprehensive/excited, the bride's entrance, the emotion, singing lots of songs I know and love, it's all fab.

I have really enjoyed some speeches, but you never know what they're going to be like so I don't always look forward to them!

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

I've actually only been to two weddings.

One, when I was a kid, friends of my parents. Barely remember it.

The other was a friends of my fiancée. It didn't end well, we were only evening guests and I hadn't eaten, so my first drink quickly went to my head. All I remember is trying to find the bride to thank her for inviting us, and the look on her face when I slurred through my "speech", I think she was embarrassed for me.

But for me, the favourite part of any gathering of people is the buzz of excitement which I suspect will be really high when the people are gathering for a wedding.

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!! We purposefully wanted our reception at a hotel everyone could stay at so we all have breakfast the next day!!!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Ive only been to 3 weddings (2 aunties and my OHs friends)

for me getting dressed up & seeing the dress/venue would be the main things

for 2 of the weddings they where held in our horrible little registry office with a reception at a working mans clubs ☹️

the other had a church wedding and a country hotel reception in a big castle style stone hall (unfortunately my OH got drunk and picked a fight so missed some bits of it ?)

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Definitely the bride's entrance, followed by the first dance.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't been to many weddings at all but i'd say mine are -

Brides entrance,

Meals,

Champagne,

Cake,

Dancing & alcohol Smiley smile

4/5 are food or drink haha i'm greed on legs!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

The moment the bride walks in and the groom sees her.

• M
    Beginner November 2013
    MrsW-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Definitely the anticipation of the bride's arrival is the best bit for me, I also like the speeches and catching up with people I haven't see for a while.

The big thing for me is seeing the genuine affection between the Bride and Groom, we looked back at some photos of weddings we had been to and some of them you can just instantly see the love between them and in others it's all a bit stiff and reserved and no real look of affection.

xx

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

The canapes, as you just dont know whats coming next mmmmmmm!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics