Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsHD2015
Beginner June 2015

What kind of dress will suit me?

MrsHD2015, 15 of December of 2013 at 16:08 Posted on Planning 0 21

Just wondering if anyone has any tips?

I am 5ft4 and size 12. I am a bit pear shaped with big hips and thighs and small bust. I would like something that accentuates my waist and balances me out!

Any ideas on shape, style, material, neckline etc? (so I have a clue where to start when I go shopping lol)

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsHD2015, 18 of December of 2013 at 19:00
  • alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

After watching Gok Wan this morning he stated that pear shapes suit halter necks as it gives the illusion of broader shoulders and larger breasts to balance out the bottom half. I knew my lazy morning information session might come in handy!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

The best thing is to go and try lots of different styles as it really depends on each dress.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Bateau neckline is flattering too. Happy shopping and don't forget the flash!

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I'd honestly say the best thing to do is try on a variety of shapes - you might be surprised what suits. Allow the woman in the shop to suggest some styles too - they always seem to know their stuff. And have fun.

• MrsHD2015
    Beginner June 2015
    MrsHD2015 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would ideally like strapless but I don't really like sweetheart necklines Smiley sad helpp!!!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I think you will find your perfect dress once you've tried a few on, it will be fine ?

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Without a photo its impossible to judge what will suit

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Your best bet is just to go and try on all different styles ! I was shocked with my choice I didn't think it would suit me ...!8'fact it made me cry ( in a good way! ) x

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

As some of the others have said, it's best to try on a range of different dresses, then go from there. You can be surprised about what you end up liking after trying on a few different styles - I found that wedding dresses were like nothing I'd ever tried on before, so keep open minded. I'm sure you'll look and feel fantastic whatever style you choose.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Definitely go to a dress shop & try on lots of dresses.

The ladies in there will be able to help you find the perfect dress for your shape. It's hard to tell without seeing you & also you'd be surprised with what would suit you which you maybe automatically wouldn't think would.

• Siobhan200286
    Beginner August 2015
    Siobhan200286 ·
    • Hide content

Try on a variety of styles, and hopefully the staff in the shop you choose will be able to advise.

I have just found my dress (in the first shop I went to!), and the assistant was absolutely fantastic. She really knew her stuff and was absolutely spot on when she said a tea length dress (which I had been lusting after for months) may not suit my petite, 5'2" frame. From the start, I didn't want strapless, but I tried on at least three strapless dresses, just in case one blew me away. The assistant even showed me how straps and wraps could be attached to a strapless dress, to change its look.

I ended up with a satin gown, and I had also said from the beginning that I wasn't keen on satin and wanted lace. I think if you try a variety, then you'll start to get a feel for what suits you and what you feel comfortable in. You will also find that many of the dresses enhance your shape. I am slim and always think of myself as quite 'boyish' in shape, but in most of the dresses, because of the corseting and boning, I discovered curves I didn't realise existed.

Try as much as you can, and don't feel disheartened if you don't love the first few you try. There is a dress shape to suit everyone.

????

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    cearstaidh ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I'd definitely agree with everyone who says you should go try on loads of different styles.

I'm a similar shape - 5'5" big hips and thighs and smallish boobs. I initially liked how i looked in fishtail type dresses but I didn't like my thighs feeling so constrained. I've now gone for a wider skirt than I was expecting with a sweetheart neckline and ruching on the top part as I found that increased the the size of my boobs.

But you need to go see what you like and what suits you. Also, you could try to find out what parts of your body your OH likes best and try to accentuate that bit.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

You won't know until you try dresses on.

What you think will suit you is generally the opposite! Dresses look very different in real life and off the hanger.

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

Id say A line would suit u most x

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

Example

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    NettieP83 ·
    • Hide content

A-line would be the one for you I think. It disguises fuller hips and thights. Ideal would be a dress with style detalis up top to balance out your proportions. soething similar to: http://allweddingdresses.co.uk/wedding-dress,Sweetheart,5992,Spring-2013,item,4908.html or http://allweddingdresses.co.uk/wedding-dress,Demetrios,2865,2013,item,10662.html or my favourite http://allweddingdresses.co.uk/wedding-dress,Allure,8972,Bridals,item,2288.html

that's my opinion. Smiley smile Good luck! Enjoy shopping! x

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I am a proper pear shape (size 14 at the mo after having a baby) but normally a size 12. Go for something that will show off your tiny waist Smiley smile

This is my wedding dress

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

Oh and if you are a toned pear shape, you will probably look gorgeous in a tighter A-line fit x

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a pear - size 10 on top and size 14 on the bottom. I'm a bit taller than you. 5 ft 7 but I went for a fish tail dress in the end but ordered it in a bigger size (and having it taken in up top). The idea being that it should sit nicely over my bottom and thighs without clinging.

I originally thought I should have A-line but after trying a few on I realised that they just wern't me. I would def say go to the shop and try on lots of dresses. One A-line dress might not be great but another may be your dream dress. (where neck and waist lines sit make a huge difference).

Good luck and I hope to see a flash once you've chosen.

• MrsHD2015
    Beginner June 2015
    MrsHD2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your advice! some lovely dress suggestions too!! I will hopefull start shopping in 2014 so will be sure to post some flashes of the dresses I try and ask for advice!! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics