Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2021 Hampshire

What pen is used to write on vinyl records?

Clara Solis, 5 of April of 2021 at 00:33 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi!

So my wedding is (hopefully) happening in August and I was looking to get a few things ready, but I'd love some advice. Basically for our table plan, table numbers and our guestbook, we would like to use vinyl records and use a white pen to write on them/have guests sign them. But I'm not sure what type of pen or marker you would use for this? I'd be worried about the pen smudging!

Has anyone done something similar? I'd love any tips on how to do this!
Or for anyone who has done this, how you've displayed everything and where you got your items from. Smiley laugh

5 replies

Latest activity by JeanneWTiemann, 24 of May of 2023 at 08:28
  • L
    Beginner November 2021 Worcestershire
    Littlered ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Clara

Really hope you figure this out please let me know, I’m hoping to do the same for my November wedding, I tried to mock one up using a metallic market I already had but it bled into the vinyl, I’ve read a few times that sharpies don’t bleed into the vinyl.

In terms of where we got vinyl from, I left that too my vinyl obsessed fiancé but I think he brought a job lot on eBay for less than £5, we had a pretty lovely evening when they arrived deciding which to use for table decorations and which to keep for the collection!
    Hope this helps a little and 🤞🏻 For your August wedding 🥰What pen is used to write on vinyl records? 1
  • C
    Clara Solis ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey, thanks for your reply! 😃

Funnily enough I did a test yesterday as well haha!
    I had the same issue as you, where the marker bleeds into the grooves. I used a silver Sharpie but that didn't help.
    Then I tried spraying the record with a varnish (used for oil and acrylic painting) and let that dry, and that seemed to work better! But then parts of the vinyl felt sticky (maybe I put on too much varnish). And it takes some time for the writing to dry so I'm worried people are going to smudge their messages! I'm not sure if there is a quick drying pen you could get...
    So yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to do this haha! 😂
  • C
    Clara Solis ·
    • Hide content

I thought I would put an update in here as we had our wedding this weekend. Smiley smile

In the end I bought some matte black spray cans from Wilko and used those to spray the vinyl records. Then I created my own center bits and had those printed on sticker paper (we used small vinyl records for table numbers and big ones for the table plan) .

I did a similar thing with the guestbook records. I used a silver metallic Sharpie pen to write the names on the table plan. And we left the same pens for the guestbook. We had some gold pens as well but the silver ones seemed to work better.

Hope this helps! Smiley laugh

What pen is used to write on vinyl records? 2

What pen is used to write on vinyl records? 3

• D
    Beginner February 2016 Maryland
    Daviddarwin091 ·
    • Hide content

Sharpie or TFIVE permanent paint marker pens are great. I used them on glass, ceramics, and vinyl and they worked quite well. The colors are so bright that they can contrast well on any background. They look better on a darker background due to their colors contrasting a bit more.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Very cleaver hack by spraying the discs first. Maybe too late for clara but for others. . People looking could try a Uni POSCA PC-3m.

PC-3m is the thickness of the tip, there is also a 1m and a 5 mI have a 3M here but not sure if it will bleed into the record groves though. I could try if anyone wants me to test.

Also looking at Claras first photo it looks like the words on the disk may be vinyl cut lettering by a sign maker. (vinyl as in sticky back plastic ) You can get them from sellers on ebay - search
    Custom Personalised Name/Word Cut-Vinyl Decal Decor Sticker

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics