Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

What size is your wedding band?

Charliebob, 28 of November of 2015 at 17:20 Posted on Planning 0 19

So I have just dropped off my wedding bands at my grandparents so they are safely put away. They live in a safe neighbourhood and are home most of the time. Just puts my mind at ease as we are out all day at work..

Anyways obvs got them out to show them off, they were really nosy about it. Then my heart deflated when they both went "What are those, they are too small" Meaning width ways. I got a 3mm and my partner 5mm we both have smallish hands. I have short fingers so thought with my 2mm ER, 5mm in total would be more than enough. Same with my OH hes not a builder or stocky, he's 6ft3 lanky slim framed so a huuuge ring would look ridiculous surely?

Anyways I am totally freaked out that we should of got a bigger rings and looking at my nans she has like 6mm. Do they look ok or exchange for something bigger?

19 replies

Latest activity by cattyjess, 17 of October of 2016 at 20:49
  • R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

I prefer thinner bands generally. Mine is 3mm same as yours, think OH went for 6mm. I think yours goes well width wise with your ER. Don't worry about it. You must both have been happy with your choice or you wouldn't have picked them!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think they look lovely! They look nicely proportioned on your hands not small at all. Some people have bigger hands and some people like wide rings that fill the whole space and leave them hardly able to bend their fingers. These are your choice and honestly look fine on you both.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I prefer thinner bands, my OH is getting a 5mm and mine might even be thinner than yours as I would love a super thin band with diamonds.

You're the ones who have to live with wearing them everyday so do what makes you happy... It's a ring not a piece of tubing! Lol!

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

They look perfect to me, lovely xx

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I like thiner band same way I dont like big flashy diamond (would rather have one you can barely see lol)

I noticed a lot of older people round here do wear massive gold bands, I have no idea why I always thought it looked wierd and 'chavtastic' personally although I guess with 'chav' being a new thing it probably isnt something they think about

I actually thought it was going to be the other way round when I read you post and you would have a 6mm ring and them moaning its to 'manly' but your ring looks fine and the fit you and your partners hands great ?

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

They look lovely. Ours are thinnish too as we have small hands! I think the older generation did have big thick bands. It must have been the in thing x

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

Ours are the same without dry as yours and I love them both. If they're right for you then that's all that matters.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My mum said the opposite as my ring is paper thin! I prefer bigger rings on blokes personally, I think hubby's is a 7mm, but then he's 6ft and fairly stocky, so it suits him. It was the style when our parents got married, mine both have thicker rings, if I'd have gone for a thick one it wouldn't have fit as I have tiny hands! Go with what makes you happy :-)

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking about getting a plain wedding band as my engagement ring and wedding band are both diamondtastic. I think a thin band is so elegant, and I was thinking a 2mm platinum band.

I think your set looks great as does your husband's ring.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks fine! I have thin bands as well - my ER is barely 2mm and my WR is going to be 3mm, but I have small, stocky fingers so they work better than thick ones.

I think OH's ring is 6mm...? but it's whatever works for you Smiley smile

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 2mm & my engagement ring is even smaller! I also prefer the ring to be smaller, if I didn't have an engagement ring or didn't wear mine then a wider wedding ring would be ok.

My husband's wedding ring is 4mm and it also looks fine on his hands, any bigger wouldn't look right.

I think it really depends on the shape of your hands and fingers what looks best, and besides it's your decision, you have to wear it.

My rings

From our wedding

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I think they look great. Maybe it's a generational thing, or a change in fashion? I don't have mine yet but my ER is 2.5mm and I will be looking for the same for my WR (max. 3mm).

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My ring is 5mm. I have long fingers and like the chunky look of them. I'm from a Northern working class family where flashy jewellery in the norm (even on men!) so it's what I grew up with. I can't wait to add an eternity ring and make it even more blingy! But you know, each to their own. There's no "too small", only what you like and think looks good.

• C
    Beginner September 2015
    Choods87 ·
    • Hide content

I really wouldn't worry about this. Like all the other ladies have said, it's you who has to live with it and as long as you love it that's all that matters.

I think the rings look lovely together and it really compliments your ER ring. I went for a teeny ring (1mm) and I adore it. My grandparents said it was really small and not wedding like as well (my nan has a MASSIVE band too) but I don't mind because I love it.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I love how delicate it looks ? mine will probably be bigger because were going celtic but I still only want 3mm or so

• L
    Beginner January 2012
    Liona ·
    • Hide content

I have platinum engagement ring with blue diamond ♥

• A
    Beginner November 2016
    Annaangeluk2016 ·
    • Hide content

My h2b and I are both having 4mm bands! I would have preferred a slightly narrower band but because my ER is a diamond halo ring which sits flat I had to have a ring made with a U shaped chunk out of it so any narrower than 4mm and it would bend apparently! It doesn't look too chunky though! And even though h2b has big hands he didn't want a bigger band. I think its possibly a generational thing as wedding bands tend to be more narrow now!

OP, your rings look lovely! If you're happy with them then keep them!

Anna x

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Oh they are gorgeous! Love your ER as well! ? I've gone smaller than yours and think OHs is the same as your OHs. Definitely agree with everyone else about it being a generation thing. You are the ones who will be wearing them so as long as you are happy it doesn't matter!

I can't wait to wear mine this time NEXT WEEK!

Excuse the crap photo!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Eek Katie! Next week!

I have ordered mine a few weeks ago, & it's the same thickness as my ER I think - 2 or 3mm? My OH's is going to be ordered nearer the time - he's just going to have a thicker band of some description.

• C
    Beginner January 2017
    cattyjess ·
    • Hide content

They look perfect to me! I'm going even thinner to match my 2mm ER. My OH is going for a 5mm too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics