Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2012

What sort of petticoat under this dress?

kingfisher1923, 15 May, 2012 at 11:59 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi there

I've bought a dress... argh! It's an ex-sample, which I had from one of these charity bridal shops, and it needs altering a bit to fit me, which I haven't had done yet. When I tried it on without a petticoat, it sort of felt like it needed 'something' - but when I put on a big layer-y petticoat underneath it, I'm not sure if it looks a bit odd and spoils the line. But I think some sort of petticoat would help the dress 'sit' better, and the train to feel better too... ?? Because it wasn't from a 'proper' bridal shop, the lady there wasn't really able to advise me much.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or views, please? Can you get very 'slimline' petticoats or something that would work, or maybe just give a little fullness at the back under the train, but not at the sides??

Thanks in advance! ?

8 replies

Latest activity by kingfisher1923, 16 May, 2012 at 13:19
  • K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry that I'm not going to be much help re the petticoat situation, but I just wanted to say what a lovely dress that is! ?

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks so much, I appreciate that! I have been having a bit of wobble and thinking I should at least try on some others and see if I've been too hasty... I do love it, but it was quite a quick decision to buy it, as it was the only one obviously, and I didn't want to miss out on a bargain!

Any other thoughts or opinions welcomed... x

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I cant help too much either but a gorgeous dress!

Do you know that designer or number of the dress, perhaps you could look it up and find a local stockist or people who have stocked to ask for advice?

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is beautiful. I think I would go with a simple hoop like the jupon 133 - that should just enhance the shape - if you look at the Jupon site then they have other petticoats with trains etc. I also had a similar problem as mine was a sample dress and the shop closed - so no one to advise me - I went for a Jupon 116 - bought it online from princess sparkle.

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Just a fish tail one should do, i think the hoop is slighly smaller than a normal one

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Oh some really good ideas there - thanks so much. I hadn't come across those websites and I see Jupon does one which has more fullness at the back and less at the front, too, which might be good. Many thanks for all the suggestions so far!

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

My dress was bought off ebay so I had the same problem no one to help. I bought a hoop for mine which has 3 hoops, all removeable and fully adjustable, then just put the dress on and my CBM pulled, pushed, romoved the hoops until we got it right. I only paid £8 off ebay its not the best quality but for the few hours I will be wearing it, it will do the job.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

P.s the dress is stunning!

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much! I didn't know the hoops could be adjustable, so that's another good option.

I have a petticoat with five layers of netting (tulle?) which I also bought from the charity shop, so I'm wondering about maybe getting some of the layers cut out at the sides and front... still can't decide if I like the subtle 'fishtail' effect, or if it looks a bit strange and would be better straight... x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics