Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2012

what the main difference betwen argos gold and gold elsewhere??

sammi23, 11 of April of 2012 at 09:21 Posted on Planning 0 5

Were looking for our wedding bands at the moment and were both very happy with a gold band.....

looked on h samuel and found this /webstore/d/****/9ct+yellow+gold+4mm+extra+heavy+d+shape+ring/

then out of curosity at argos and found this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2031493/Trail/searchtext%3EWEDDING+RING.htm

What on earth is different apart from the price? surely as long as its hallmarked its gold?? sorry if i sound really daft!! im just confused!

i know the pic looks a little differnt in colour on h samueal but i honestly think that could just be as it on the internet.

please help!!

5 replies

Latest activity by Chippers, 11 of April of 2012 at 10:16
  • skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Its the weight.

Could be that the second one is hollow and therefore 'flimsier' or more likely to dent.

The weight is the important thing with gold. We got 9ct as we both have lives where our hands get bashed about and 18ct is too soft.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Essentially nothing, as long as they are both the same carat gold... howevber the H samuel ring may well be heavier - the same width, but fatter if you see what I mean.

For a plain band you pay for the weight of the metal (unkless you are being ripped off). A cheaper band will have less metal. TBH IMO not ideal for a wedding band you are going to wear all the time for ever. A gold band will wear over time so personally I'd want something with a bit of weight to it.

In fact the H samuel one says it is extra heavy

There may be colour dfferences as the gold can be alloyed with lots of different things, but I don't know much about that. As you say you'd need to see them IRL.

HTH

DM x

• O
    Beginner May 2013
    Omgitshappening ·
    • Hide content

Yep definitely the weight. The Samuels one says it's heavy weight whereas I can't see any reference to weight on th Argos one (might be me not looking properly though).

A heavy weight will sit prouder on your finger I.e more raised. So depends how raised your er is. Best to go and have a look at both.

They can't hallmark it as gold unless it is gold though.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

Gold is gold, but gold jewellery isn't just gold.

1. The Carat rating indicates how much gold there is as a percentage, 24 carat is pure gold, anything less is mixed with other metals. This is partly done to make it harder, as 24K Gold is very soft.

2. As others have said the actual weight of the item.

3. The craftsmanship that goes into making an item.

4. Some types of gold are more expensive than others due to certain properties mostly which affect the colour, but this is down to impurities in the gold itself, however some people find it desirable. Others don't care, or don't even like it.

The weight and craftsmanship are the biggest factors in the price.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

I once took a load of old gold jewellery from Argos to be made into a pendant at my local jewellers, when the jeweller melted it all down he said half of the gold was useless becuase it was not pure, had lots of waste product in it.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

There is an old saying which is true to everything....

You get what you pay for !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics