Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2013

What time does your evening do finish?

Callalily, 5 September, 2012 at 20:16 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hey, I am still trying to choose a venue for my reception and one of them (prob my fave) has a rule that all music and drinking stops by midnight and everyone is sent home (or to bed if staying there!) I don't mind as i expect i'll be happy to go to bed then but some of our guests are travelling and will probably want to stay up chatting. I am aware other venues let people stay up as late as they want.

I wondered what time your receptions are finishing? Or finished? Do you get bored by midnight at weddings or want to stay?

Thanks ?

19 replies

Latest activity by Vanilla Pod, 6 September, 2012 at 19:03
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

First wedding, midnight. But I was overtired and very drunk by then. Not good.

This time, we were in bed by 11pm on our actual wedding day, and our UK reception finished by 11. Actually I'd had enough by 9.30, and was quite happy to go home and curl up with OH!

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Ours officially closes at midnight and this is when the cash bar closes too BUT guests who are staying in the hotel (which is quite a few for us) are free to move through to the main bar which is 24hours and charge drinks to their room tabs.

For me when I go to weddings or any party really, it depends on whose it is and what circle of friends/family we are with. Sometimes I'm fed up by 11pm and want to head home to bed but other times when we're with good friends having a laugh I'll happily sit chatting with a drink till the early hours- I don't tend to carry on dancing and proper "partying" til' the break of dawn though.

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your ceremony time, if it's a 12.30pm wedding then I'd say an 11.30pm finish is fine but it might feel a bit early if it's a 4pm ceremony?

• C
    Beginner April 2013
    Callalily ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. My ceremony will be at 1pm and the evening do starts at 7pm, so I think midnight will be enough for most people but when you are having a good time with family and friends it would be a shame to stop just because it's midnight.

I'm worried the day will go by so quick but on the other hand i'll be tired!! My h2b is in the forces and midnight is very early for them! So don't want to disappoint his friends, yet again on the other hand it's not about making them happy!!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Ours D.J finishes at 2 and the bar closes at 4am!! We are getting married at half one with the evening starting at 7pm.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Ours finishes at 1am but guests who are staying can move to the main bar to carry on drinking

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

We're having a civil ceremony so will be in the same place all day, ceremony is at 1pm and the bar shuts at 12 but people who are stopping can sit and have a few drinks if they want and won't be made to go to bed.

We have a 3yo and struggle to do late nights now! I managed 2am at the weekend and was v proud of myself ? So I think 12 will be fine. I wouldn't like being told I HAD to go to bed though!

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

We have a 3pm ceremony and reception at my parent's house until 8pm, then people are being ferried to the local pub if they want to continue. Me and OH will go for a bit then off to our hotel about 9-9.30. I don't think I would be able to make it until midnight, although I am sure some people will!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Mine went on until 1am, I had had enough by midnight to be honest, shattered but didn't want it to end!

• Trouble_gb
    Beginner September 2013
    Trouble_gb ·
    • Hide content

1:30am for us and then back to the hotel for those that want to carry on!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Last orders 11.30pm and band stopped at midnight.

I was really worried about it being too early but, in fact, everyone said it was perfect.

We all went back to the hotel and quite a few of us had a couple of quiet nightcaps before bed.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Ours finished at midnight, so we started it at 7pm instead of 7:30. gave the guests that extra half hour.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is 2:30, evening has to stop by midnight. We will probably head off a little early, maybe 11:30. All guests staying in the castle will be invited to join us for a nightcap in the billiards room, as we will have a self service bar.

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

Ours finishes at midnight, but there's an all night residents bar for those staying at the hotel (although based on previous experience most people just go to bed when the party finishes).

• Peachblossom
    Beginner March 2012
    Peachblossom ·
    • Hide content

Ours finished at midnight, and we had a 1.30pm ceremony. I was worried it would be too early, but by the time everyone had said their goodbyes it was about 1am, and we were exhausted by then.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This will be fine

If they want to stay up I am sure they will find a way of doing so. The bar in our hotel stayed open for guests whilst alot of braver people than me went skinny dipping.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Ours was 1am, we were married at 1pm. I did however have some ushers and a bridesmaid out clubbing till 6am the next morning in all their finery!? We had our reception in a city centre cocktail bar/restaurant on a Sunday. Midnight will be fine dont worry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics