Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

leni

What time is starting DIY and Pressure Washing your driveway unacceptable?

leni, 10 July, 2009 at 08:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

This week we had a neighbour start drilling outside at 7.00am and today someone started pressure washing their driceway at 7.15am. Personally I think you should wait until after 8.00am - whats your thoughts?

Maybe I feel like this because OH does shifts and I'm consious of noise when he's on nights?

9 replies

Latest activity by Doughnut, 10 July, 2009 at 11:15
  • clairol
    Beginner August 2004
    clairol ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think that 9am for noisy outside jobs is acceptable and certainly no earlier than 8am. We have two small (noisy!) children and I am always conscious of how much noise they're making early in the morning (and that's inside!)

My husband was drilling into our external wall one weekend at about 10am and a neighbour came round and threatened to punch him as it was too early!

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I think 8am is acceptable however we've had workmen from the council start work at 7am every day this week. I'm up and about so I'm not fussed but my poor neighbour across the road works nights and he didn't look a happy bunny on Wednesday.

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

I think 8.00/8.30ish is fine in the week as most people are up and on their way to work by then. At the weekends I think 9.00/9.30ish is more reasonable.

7.15 is definitely a bit early to be getting busy with a drill or power washer in my book! ?

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't do anything before 8am, but I think 7am is fair enough.

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

8am seems about right to me.

In the week I'd not get too narked about a neighbour doing DIY at 7am as I'm already up and about but I'd not do anything myself until about 8am probably. Weekends I'd not start until about 9am.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

8am weekdays, 9am weekends. I will never start mowing before 9am, weekdays or weekends.

I'm amazed workmen start at 7am, when we have work done the guy usually gets here about 8.30/9am. Anybody would think we lived in a warm country where people start work early and finish early due to hot weather ?

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

I would say 8am earliest but at 8.15am on Tuesday I could have quite happily strangled the guy who started cutting his fence with a v noisy chainsaw (but that could have been because I had too much to drink on monday night and was hungover not feeling well). 7.15 is waaay too early!

• E
    emmali ·
    • Hide content

Two doors up from us thinks its ok to be doing DIY and pressure washing until after 10pm. OK, I appreciate he works but he also has two young children about the same ages as ours and I would have thought that he would have been concerned about disturbing them as well as the many other children that live here. Last week he was out after 10pm every single night pressure washing and if course we had windows open as it was so warm. I;m not sure why it took him so long as he hasn't exactly got Buckingham Palace's driveway to clean.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

Depends how long the work goes on for, I reckon.

In our old flat we thought nothing of hoovering/DIY/whatever at any time we wanted, really (although not that likely to happen early with us!), because it was only ever a one off.

ATM, we are renovationg a house, and we try and start at 9 and finish before 10pm, just because its likely to go for a good while, and we are already being a bit of a nuiscance with a dirty great skip, and destructed front wall and other delights.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

Before 7am in the week and before 8am I guess at the weekends I'd think was too early.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics